Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn Of Events

that must have something to do with the Portnoy saga :christmas:

not really excited with this as they haven't released anything better than SFAM back in 99, so this should be another average release, but definitely want to know how's the result when it's released.

Totally agree with Nightrain.... Scenes was their last good record and I'm not sure how you turn around a 10 year drought without one of the driving forces.

'Octavarium' 'Systematic Chaos' and the mighty 'Black Clouds' were all huge albums and 'Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence' had it's moments too. Have people been asleep for the last 10 years or so? :whistle:

'Octavarium' 'Systematic Chaos' and the mighty 'Black Clouds' were all huge albums and 'Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence' had it's moments too. Have people been asleep for the last 10 years or so? :whistle:

no, only asleep in the middle of DT's musical wank ;-)

the problem with DT is after SFAM, they seem to be trapped in monotonous arrangement and not inventive anymore as when i first discovered 'Image and Words' in 1996 (yup known them a bit late). It's not the newer albums are bad or something, it's acceptable effort but that's all. It's like seeing the industry cycle, after growing for several years, you reach maturity in SFAM, and then stays stagnant with the indication of slowly declining, especially with Portnoy gone as he's one of the core members of DT's songwriting department.

They just can't make something huge as 'Metropolis', 'Caught In The Web', or 'Fatal Tragedy' anymore, the complexity and catchiness were there at the same time, well not expecting much with ADToE, but just curious to see how they go with Mangini here :popcorn:

:agree:

Dream Theater hasn't released any "lemons" in my book, & Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence is a friggin' masterpiece.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oasnbzEMV08

Here is the lead off single. Sounds like Dream Theater, I like it.

• 2 months later...

This is out tomorrow right? Anyone got it or getting it, would love to hear your thoughts.

As for being asleep in the past 10 years.... nope, not me. DT can write the best songs in the world, and at other times the most boring wall of noise ever created. I'm hoping the band is rejuvenated and have something to prove and look to Symphony X for inspiration i.e. sometimes less is more :)

• My Little Pony

Yeah, Their last three were amazing. I'm not sure if I fully support the direction they're going, but no one can say they aren't making good music. I do wish, however, they would have a few more "simpler" songs. Some of my favourites are Wither, The Answer Lies Within, and Wait For Sleep.

That new song sounds great, but you can definitely tell that's not Portnoy behind the kit.

This is out tomorrow right? Anyone got it or getting it, would love to hear your thoughts.

As for being asleep in the past 10 years.... nope, not me. DT can write the best songs in the world, and at other times the most boring wall of noise ever created. I'm hoping the band is rejuvenated and have something to prove and look to Symphony X for inspiration i.e. sometimes less is more :)

hi John, this is my initial thought from my 'First Impression' post earlier

Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events (2011)

post-Portnoy shows Dream Theater trying to regain momentum by implementing a more classic-feel approach and also gives more room for Jordan Rudess to battle with Petrucci on the interlude parts. 'On The Backs of Angels' has been introduced earlier, less-metal and prog-rock oriented, many passage still sounds monotonous, but a good track though.

Around 3 ballads here and all of em are good to great with 'Beneath The Surface' is the best poppish/acoustical track. With 30% ballads out of 9 tracks, looks like Dream Theater is trying for a safer approach, gaining more mainstream audience, and rebuild the ashes after Portnoy left the gang.

'Outcry' is complex but awesome, along with 'Breaking All Illusions' are the best track here. I'll say it's a 75-80% on the first spin, still far from their masterpiece - SFaM, but a good progress, hopefully it grows more.

My copy is in the mail as we speak, so hopefully it will be here tomorrow. I've already had a sneaky peek at it (although only 1 run through), so obviously a lot of listening to come as with any DT album to digest it all, but to my well trained DT ears this sounds like it's a really really strong DT album.

That classic feel i'm talking about is apparently has been discussed somewhere that Dream Theater is resurrecting their Image and Words era, and in fact, many songs here were written based on the structure of that album, but of course with different notes. It's just that if you have listened to I&W extensively back in the days, you'll figure out that 'after this, they'll do that' and 'after this type of chorus, definitely that type of solo is comin' out sort of thing.

Portnoy has been blaming them for not being creative, lol that's quite a joke, but yeah if DT continues this style and lessen their darkened/metal path in the last three albums, I think they only need a few amount of time to create something that can challenge SFaM or I&W for supremacy.

You'd have to be deaf or dead not to love this stunning ballad. Do yourself a favour and listen all the way through. Best DT ballad song in eons! The synth solo (3:20) is gorgeous and James vocals have never been better, the powerful part near the end (4:27) is freakin' amazing...chills!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61OzwXZiDo8

The synth solo (3:20) is gorgeous and James vocals have never been better, the powerful part near the end (4:27) is freakin' amazing...chills!!!

Why is 4:27 "near the end"? Why can't it be 1 minute into the next song, like most bands. I actually like the first single but I still can never see myself sitting through a full album...

The synth solo (3:20) is gorgeous and James vocals have never been better, the powerful part near the end (4:27) is freakin' amazing...chills!!!

Why is 4:27 "near the end"? Why can't it be 1 minute into the next song, like most bands. I actually like the first single but I still can never see myself sitting through a full album...

If the vocal punch happened in the first minute, you'd have another Toby Hitchcock song. Sometimes subtleness and power can mesh together.

If the vocal punch happened in the first minute, you'd have another Toby Hitchcock song. Sometimes subtleness and power can mesh together.

They should've asked you to do the press release...

They should've asked you to do the press release...

Backed. To compare this song to the Toby Hitchcock disc has left me somewhat scratching my head! I mean this is a pleasant non-offensive ballad, but that's about it. As for the 'synth' solo, Im sorry but it sounds like a computer game to me..............

Let me put it this way -

One Day Ill Stop Loving you >>>> country mile >>>> Beneath The Surface

Toby Hitchcock >>>> country mile >>>> James Labrie

You are completely missing the point. The song is nothing like Hitchcock, I'm just saying going full power notes from the start would remind me of what Hitchcock does on Mercury Rising, it all go vocally. I'm saying James is more subtle and doesn't have to be big instantly. Hitchcock is a great vocalist but to say he is better than James Labrie is just plain not right. James Labrie's voice can do anything and to me has miles of more depth and texture than Hitchcock does on the new one....even Hitchcock would agree with that comment. I'd pick Beneath The Surface well ahead of One Day...

Non DT and prog fans probably won't get too much out of this, as per usual, but for the rest of us who have a bit of taste outside of the usual run of the mill 'stuff', there's plenty of great music on here to get our teeth into. The DT boys come up trumps yet again, with a very very fine album (as if there any doubt)

You are completely missing the point. The song is nothing like Hitchcock, I'm just saying going full power notes from the start would remind me of what Hitchcock does on Mercury Rising, it all go vocally. I'm saying James is more subtle and doesn't have to be big instantly. Hitchcock is a great vocalist but to say he is better than James Labrie is just plain not right. James Labrie's voice can do anything and to me has miles of more depth and texture than Hitchcock does on the new one....even Hitchcock would agree with that comment. I'd pick Beneath The Surface well ahead of One Day...

You two should stop arguing, both are AWESOME vocalists with totally different styles. Frankly, although I don't like DT much, Labrie's voice is astonishing (less so these days) and he is definitely more varied and has greater range than Hitchcock. Though TH will tear-through a 3-minute AOR song as well as anyone. When you use words like subtle you kinds sum-up why I don't like DT much, as I have a short attention-span and can only listen to the DT songs that get to the point quickly - which isn't many of them. Full respect to them for what they do, and for the monster that is "Images & Words", but it's not my bag.

• My Little Pony

Non DT and prog fans probably won't get too much out of this, as per usual, but for the rest of us who have a bit of taste outside of the usual run of the mill 'stuff', there's plenty of great music on here to get our teeth into. The DT boys come up trumps yet again, with a very very fine album (as if there any doubt)

Yes. Thank you, Jez. I don't know why so many people that aren't very fond of Progressive music leave negative remarks toward Progressive albums. What are they expecting?

Yes. Thank you, Jez. I don't know why so many people that aren't very fond of Progressive music leave negative remarks toward Progressive albums. What are they expecting?

A very good question mate!!

You two should stop arguing, both are AWESOME vocalists with totally different styles. Frankly, although I don't like DT much, Labrie's voice is astonishing (less so these days) and he is definitely more varied and has greater range than Hitchcock. Though TH will tear-through a 3-minute AOR song as well as anyone. When you use words like subtle you kinds sum-up why I don't like DT much, as I have a short attention-span and can only listen to the DT songs that get to the point quickly - which isn't many of them. Full respect to them for what they do, and for the monster that is "Images & Words", but it's not my bag.

It was about time Glen And I stopped hugging each other because we always seem to love the same things. :) If you love DT, you should love this release, plain and simple. I understand people loving and not liking DT, it is an acquired taste, the fact that I acquired it in July/August 1992 makes me a lifelong fan.

DT gets the same treatment Trivium always get, people either love them or loathe them. Big bands always create the biggest buzz.

Wow, some pretty sweeping statements in this thread, I guess from me too.

For the record, I like a LOT of progressive music....I own discographies of quite a few progressive bands, including most of DT's stuff.

All I was saying is that on the first couple of spins this hadnt grabbed me in the way that some of their previous stuff had.....I do think that most of their releases are patchy with moments of greatness sitting next to tuneless 'wank' and duff tracks.

I will of course give this many more spins and will post some more detailed thoughts in a few days.