Black Stone Cherry: "Between the Devil..." review

My review of Black Stone Cherry's new album, "Between the Devil & the Deep Blue Sea," is now available over at Hardrock Haven. Click the link below to check it out:

Black Stone Cherry review

A total ass-kicker, one of my favorites of the year.

Upcoming reviews include:

Farcry: "Optimism"

Adelitas Way: "Home School Valedictorian"

Egypt Central: "White Rabbit"

Diamond Lane: "World Without Heroes"

Sanchez: "Run the Streets"

Defuse: "Bangkok Addiction"

first impression, looks like they're going down the commercial road, which is totally good for me, and definitely accessible to casual fans. Still can't enjoy 3-4 songs, but most of it are good to great, the ballads are cool as well, so I think I'll go with around 7.5 or 8 for this one :popcorn:

Just spinning the album now. So, uh... did Theory of a Deadman officially change their name or is this just a TOAD tribute band? ;)

Nah, it's okay. But I would have a hard time separating these guys from the other bands who sound like this. It's predictable as hell, but it doesn't mean it's bad. For me, the ballads are the highlight of this CD (like they always are on CDs that sounds like this). I really like 'Won't let go' and 'Stay.' Very safe and commercial, but killer tunes.

Of the rest, 'Change' or 'Such a shame' are probably my favourites of the rockers. 'Killing floor' is good too, and 'Like I roll' is a nice casual rocker too. There's a couple of fillers like 'Shake' and 'Blame it on the boom boom,' (sorry Mark!) but overall I guess it's pretty good. I'd stick to around the 7/10 mark for this.

I picked this up yesterday at Best Buy for a sweet price of $7.99 (can't even download it for that). What a kickin' rock n roll album this is! One of my favorites of the year so far for sure. White trash millionaire, blame it on the boom boom, let me see you shake, and stay are all instant classics. Kudos to Howard Benson for the production job. Highly recommended!