Wendy Dio slams Jorn Lande

KING

On Norwegian singer Jorn Lande's "Dio" album and other musicians who who have paid tributes to Ronnie:

Wendy Dio: "Ah… I don't know. I was very upset about the fact that [Jorn's 'Dio' album] was released. Yes, I was. When somebody dies, if you wanna record a couple of tracks [as a tribute to that artist], that's fine. But… to do a whole album of Ronnie's songs? Why would you want to buy a reproduction when you can buy the original? There have been IRON MAIDEN songs dedicated to Ronnie live. That's a real tribute. Rob Halford [JUDAS PRIEST] was an incredible friend of Ronnie. He did many tributes to Ronnie. Ian Gillan [DEEP PURPLE] was another friend of Ronnie. Klaus Meine [sCORPIONS] was a friend of Ronnie. All these people were friends of Ronnie and they all paid tributes to him in their own way without cashing in on anything."

Ouch! :blink: I guess you shouldn't invite Jorn and Wendy Dio to the same party huh?

But seriously....I can kinda see Wendy's point. Jorn didn't have to release that "Dio" covers album when he did. Yeah, I know that album had been in the works before Ronnie passed away, but he could've waited a while after Ronnie's passing, rather than putting it out before RJD's body was even cold. It did seem kinda like he was goin' "Woohoo, he's dead, CASH IN!"

This might also explain why Jorn wasn't a candidate for the vocalist slot in the "Dio Disciples" band even though a lot of fanboys seemed to think he'd be the best choice.

:blink:

I saw this over at blabbermouth yesterday and part of me thinks that Wendy is being a little harsh. Sure it was put out quickly after his death BUT it had been in the works from before he even got sick and Jorn is such a massive Dio fan there was disrespect from him plus you have to figure the label had a huge say so in when the release date was so Jorn can't get all of the blame. With that being said they probably should of waiting until the end of 2010 but it's not my money that was spent on recording and promotion so I can see why they wouldn't want to wait.

As for Jorn not being part of Dio's Disciples because of this I don't know if that has anything to do with this or not since they did use him at the High Voltage festival Heaven&Hell show last summer.

Didn't some of the proceeds of the Jorn release go to Dio's Cancer research foundation?

IMO the Jorn release was a labor of love and not a cash grab but the Joey Demaio/Magic Circle Records tribute was a cash grab.

I'd say Jorn has no interest in fronting a DIO cover /tribute band. Even though he worships Ronnie James Dio. Yeah i know he has covered alot of his songs but i think he has al

ot more exciting things to do in his future. :party421:

July 2011 JORN LIVE FROM SWEDEN 2010 DVD / CD

Early 2012 new JORN studio album

and stuff unknown to the public :party421:

I saw this over at blabbermouth yesterday and part of me thinks that Wendy is being a little harsh. Sure it was put out quickly after his death BUT it had been in the works from before he even got sick and Jorn is such a massive Dio fan there was disrespect from him plus you have to figure the label had a huge say so in when the release date was so Jorn can't get all of the blame. With that being said they probably should of waiting until the end of 2010 but it's not my money that was spent on recording and promotion so I can see why they wouldn't want to wait.

As for Jorn not being part of Dio's Disciples because of this I don't know if that has anything to do with this or not since they did use him at the High Voltage festival Heaven&Hell show last summer.

Didn't some of the proceeds of the Jorn release go to Dio's Cancer research foundation?

IMO the Jorn release was a labor of love and not a cash grab but the Joey Demaio/Magic Circle Records tribute was a cash grab.

I agree....

I may be alone in this thinking, but Wendy Dio really has no room to talk with the manner in which she has turned the Dio Facebook page into one long, neverending infomercial hawking products on a damn near daily basis. That's her prerogative if she wants to do so, but she's not coming off any better than Jorn, Joey DeMaio, etc...

Regarding the Magic Circle tribute, with the money that would have been paid for licensing fees (I'm sure they would have wound up in court if they had not properly obtained the rights to release these songs) does anyone really think they've actually made money on that release? :blink:

I may be alone in this thinking, but Wendy Dio really has no room to talk with the manner in which she has turned the Dio Facebook page into one long, neverending infomercial hawking products on a damn near daily basis. That's her prerogative if she wants to do so, but she's not coming off any better than Jorn, Joey DeMaio, etc...

Regarding the Magic Circle tribute, with the money that would have been paid for licensing fees (I'm sure they would have wound up in court if they had not properly obtained the rights to release these songs) does anyone really think they've actually made money on that release? :blink:

I'm sure they've made no money on that release. I do remember there being a lot of outcry from fans because at first the profits weren't being donated to RJD's charity.

I see your point about the FB page I see that stuff everyday as well but I am happy that she has continued to keep his name out there with the new tshirts, releases and hopefully there'll be some reissues coming and maybe some more live releases from the different tours in the 80's or 90's and a box set would be cool.

I ended up blocking all updates from the Dio FB page, and I know a lot of people did as well due to the never ending so called updates. On a daily basis my wall was being filled up with them hawking the same thing over and over again, or just posting random lyrics. Now, I visit the page when I want to and save myself having to scroll through a never ending list of pointless nonsense.

In my opinion, annoying his fans is not a way to honour Ronnie.