Bootleg Help Request

Clutch

I'm trying to verify if some of my cds are boots or legit pressings. Is the cd matrix the best way for an id? Here are the ones in question:

Domain- Crack in the Wall

Domain- Before the Storm

Domain- Our Kingdom

Sinner- Dangerous Charm

China Sky- s/t

Any help with this is very much appreciated.

I only have the China Sky. On the inner ring on the back I see 2 numbers/codes:

2002-2

IFPI LD51

I surely hope mine is an original. You never really know these days ..... :(

2002-2

IFPI LD51

That's the reason I'm checking them, you never can tell. I really appreciate the response. :tumbsup:

2002-2

IFPI LD51

That's the reason I'm checking them, you never can tell. I really appreciate the response. :tumbsup:

Backed with that I have the same as Bernd number wise.

Just an FYI some of the boots coming out of Russia now have the same matrix codes on the inner ring as the originals now. :(

Just an FYI some of the boots coming out of Russia now have the same matrix codes on the inner ring as the originals now. :(

Great .......... ! :( So how do you spot the difference ??

I guess take a whiff of the inserts if the ink smells new then I would question it.

Are the boots from Russia CDR's or silver pressed?

I guess take a whiff of the inserts if the ink smells like Vodka, then I would question it.

Fixed!! :whistle:

I guess take a whiff of the inserts if the ink smells like Vodka, then I would question it.

Fixed!! :whistle:

:rofl2:

Just checked my China Sky and the cd matrix is PARC 7464-44088-2. Don't know if this is another legit pressing or a boot. My guess, boot. And to top it off I got this maybe 3 years ago from a (supposed) good seller.

2002-2

IFPI LD51

Backed with that I have the same as Bernd number wise.

Not looking good for my China Sky cd. Thanks for the reply Nick. :beerbang:

Bought my China Sky in 1991 in one of the old 'long boxes' that alot of US releases came in and its definitely not a boot. It has the following on the inner ring, which is the catologue number.

1A CK4088 01

Bought my China Sky in 1991 in one of the old 'long boxes' that alot of US releases came in and its definitely not a boot. It has the following on the inner ring, which is the catologue number.

1A CK4088 01

Intresting that mate, I originally bought it in '88 and mine skipped all over the place, took it back to the shop but never got a replacement as I thought at the time it was a bit too sappy. Now older and wiser and mellower I grabbed it about 7 years ago or so again. The catalog on the sleeve and CD shows ZK 44088 and has the CBS Records copyright on the CD (they were something to do with the Parc label, according to AOR-FM they distributed the CD). I wonder if CBS/Parc repressed it or pressed it at different plants? Hence the inner ring variation.

Now the CK on Jez's catalogue is a definite CBS/Columbia (U.S.) prefix, as is EK (C for Columbia label releases E for Epic releases) ... now ZK! It's in keeping with the old late 80's Columbia catalogue but ZK?? Now given that the Parc label wasn't a Columbia/CBS/Epic main labels as such, that might have resulted in the ZK prefix at some point in it's release. But still there's that inner ring variation. Comparing it to my Columbia CD imports around the time it all matches perfectly, bar code, disc, CBS copyright e.t.c...but you gotta wonder about that inner ring on the CD and how CBS's pressing went regarding subsiduary/distributed products. Maybe the're perfectly kosher, the HH Database give ZK as the prefix for the CD but that could be wrong. Or are they just different pressings from different plants or one a later pressing?

Also another thing...probably complete conjecture, the one I bought from HMV back in 88 I remember having a single staple in the centre holding the booklet together, now this staple hadn't been stapled in properly on my copy and I remember wondering if it had damaged the disc. Now the copy I have now again, has a single staple in the centre of the booklet rather than two staples as is the norm these days.

Update on ZK...apparently Columbia/CBS U.S. used that catalogue number too towards late 80's early 90's at least...Confused...I found this

CBS- distributed labels were initially given the prefix ZK, ..... not sure if this was for just vinyl or CD's too....ALTHOUGH I alsdo found that some CBS / Columbia Legacy recordings have ZK prefix on CD's, so could it be a second press? Ozzy's Diary of a Madman U.S. was a ZK number so what gives? Also found ZK was used for Japanese pressings too! Confusing!

Now my Kansas - Monolith...again a CD distributed by CBS (it's on the Kirschner label and not a Columbia/Epic release) starts with ZK which would again bring the China Sky into the distributed ZK catalogue numbers!!

Arse....still the worry about the inner ring though! :)

Maybe just grab the Rock Candy one when they release it hahaha!

I guess take a whiff of the inserts if the ink smells new then I would question it.

Are the boots from Russia CDR's or silver pressed?

Silver pressed and their scary good boots and now their all over ebay and amazon and there's many "good" sellers out there selling these as the real thing. :doh:

1A CK4088 01

Intresting that mate, I originally bought it in '88 and mine skipped all over the place, took it back to the shop but never got a replacement as I thought at the time it was a bit too sappy. Now older and wiser and mellower I grabbed it about 7 years ago or so again. The catalog on the sleeve and CD shows ZK 44088 and has the CBS Records copyright on the CD (they were something to do with the Parc label, according to AOR-FM they distributed the CD). I wonder if CBS/Parc repressed it or pressed it at different plants? Hence the inner ring variation.

Now the CK on Jez's catalogue is a definite CBS/Columbia (U.S.) prefix, as is EK (C for Columbia label releases E for Epic releases) ... now ZK! It's in keeping with the old late 80's Columbia catalogue but ZK?? Now given that the Parc label wasn't a Columbia/CBS/Epic main labels as such, that might have resulted in the ZK prefix at some point in it's release. But still there's that inner ring variation. Comparing it to my Columbia CD imports around the time it all matches perfectly, bar code, disc, CBS copyright e.t.c...but you gotta wonder about that inner ring on the CD and how CBS's pressing went regarding subsiduary/distributed products. Maybe the're perfectly kosher, the HH Database give ZK as the prefix for the CD but that could be wrong. Or are they just different pressings from different plants or one a later pressing?

Also another thing...probably complete conjecture, the one I bought from HMV back in 88 I remember having a single staple in the centre holding the booklet together, now this staple hadn't been stapled in properly on my copy and I remember wondering if it had damaged the disc. Now the copy I have now again, has a single staple in the centre of the booklet rather than two staples as is the norm these days.

Update on ZK...apparently Columbia/CBS U.S. used that catalogue number too towards late 80's early 90's at least...Confused...I found this

CBS- distributed labels were initially given the prefix ZK, ..... not sure if this was for just vinyl or CD's too....ALTHOUGH I alsdo found that some CBS / Columbia Legacy recordings have ZK prefix on CD's, so could it be a second press? Ozzy's Diary of a Madman U.S. was a ZK number so what gives? Also found ZK was used for Japanese pressings too! Confusing!

Now my Kansas - Monolith...again a CD distributed by CBS (it's on the Kirschner label and not a Columbia/Epic release) starts with ZK which would again bring the China Sky into the distributed ZK catalogue numbers!!

Mate, now you got me confused .... !! :unsure: To make things worse I've also got that single staple in the middle.

1A CK4088 01

Mate, now you got me confused .... !! :unsure: To make things worse I've also got that single staple in the middle.

I wouldn't worry too much bud, rateyourmusic and plenty of other places has the catalogue no. for the CD as ZK 44088 plus the ZK prefix would suggest it was a CD distributed by CBS group (which it apparently was), the CK one may well be a 1st pressing or vice versa and the cat got changed at some point.

The staple in the middle bit shouldn't worry ya, remember the orig. version that I grabbed in HMV after a review in Kerrang or something also had the single staple.

But then there's that niggling centre of the CD to worry about hahahaha!

oopdate!

I think found Jez's version here its the only reference I could find to the CK catalogue number for the album.

http://www.hhworld.org/t3358-china-sky-st-1988

It has the inner ring code that Jez mentioned...with the CK prefix, yet on the disc face it says ZK ..... also note the disc has the 2 printed outer circles around the edge of the disc, many of the Columbia/Epic U.S. discs had that back in the day, the actual Epic/Columbia artists also had between the last ring and the disc edge a trademark comment.

Now the Kansas ZK versions I have don't have that trademark comment and neither does this, so that's good news for Jez I reckon.

Now your version I suspect doesn't have the two outer rings, neither does mine - now that could be because the CD was originally only distributed by CBS/Columbia, maybe the second pressings were done by CBS or brought more in line with the look of the rest of the catalogue, hence the discrepancy on the inner ring on Jez's copy which has the regular CK cat no. and what is printed on the CD face which is the distributed label cat no.

Or maybe ours are just very good boots.

I very much doubt Jez's is a boot coz I don't think many boots were floating about when he bought it in 91!

If I'd known you were gonna worry about it I would've made notes 22-23 years ago heh!

If I'd known you were gonna worry about it I would've made notes 22-23 years ago heh!

:lol: Time flies, doesn't it ?!?!

• 1 month later...

Bought my China Sky back in 88 , came in a long box & is on the CBS Records / Parc label , has two stapels on the spine & 100% silver pressed

Bought it after i read a review in kerrang !!

Still one of my favs after all this time .

Someone please correct (and direct to where they're at) me if I'm wrong, but that China Sky disc isn't part of the current batch of boots. I know because I'd have picked it up the moment I saw it. :) Yeah, that's one of the ones I'm actually waiting for.

Unless someone did excellent boots 3 years ago, sounds like an original to me. The current batch of Russian boots is the first time the boots have been truly hard to seperate from the real thing, isn't it? I've always been able to tell what's a boot and what's not, but I'd hate to have to try and pick these new ones out. :)

Someone please correct (and direct to where they're at) me if I'm wrong, but that China Sky disc isn't part of the current batch of boots. I know because I'd have picked it up the moment I saw it. :) Yeah, that's one of the ones I'm actually waiting for.

Unless someone did excellent boots 3 years ago, sounds like an original to me. The current batch of Russian boots is the first time the boots have been truly hard to seperate from the real thing, isn't it? I've always been able to tell what's a boot and what's not, but I'd hate to have to try and pick these new ones out. :)

Backed...if they boot China Sky I'll be picking it up and I won't know the difference from the real thing...of course I would prefer a legal reissue but I'm not holding my breath waiting...I believe Yesterock was supposed to reissue it but it didn't happen for some reason...