Iron Maiden - From Fear To Eternity: 1990-2010

heaven&hell

New compilation focusing on the newer stuff from No Prayer through the Final Frontier. The only downside is that they left all of the Blaze stuff out as the few Blaze era songs are live versions that probably have Bruce. Not to say that I love the Blaze era and admit that the Bruce versions are better I just don't feel it's completely representive of the era without at least a few songs off those two albums. I do like the track listing for the most part but there are a few omissions IMO and think there should be at least four tracks from Brave New World and only three from Dance of Death but I guess that's a minor complaint.

EMI has announced the release of "From Fear To Eternity: The Best Of 1990-2010". A double-CD set spanning twenty years this follows the huge success of 2010's studio album "The Final Frontier" which hit the number one spot in 28 countries around the world. It also became the band's highest-charting album in the USA where IRON MAIDEN have just been awarded their first Grammy for "Best Metal Performance", for the song "El Dorado", taken from "The Final Frontier" album, and which is included in this selection.

IRON MAIDEN's current phenomenal global success has seen the band not only scale new-found heights aided by their unique method of touring, using a customized Boeing 757 — named Ed Force One by their fans — to transport band, crew and all their equipment round the world to many new places, but has meant their ever-expanding fanbase now encompasses a brand new generation of metal lovers. "From Fear To Eternity" is a chance for these new fans of the band to explore IRON MAIDEN's rich history, with the highlights of their last eight studio albums distilled into this handy collection, which follows 2009's compilation of their earlier work, the 1980-1990 "Somewhere Back In Time" album.

Perennial favourites to be found on this album include songs also featured in MAIDEN's current "The Final Frontier World Tour" set list; tracks such as "Fear Of The Dark", "The Wicker Man", "Blood Brothers" and "Dance Of Death" sit alongside recent classics "El Dorado" and the hauntingly evocative "When The Wild Wind Blows". It also include singles like "Holy Smoke" and "Be Quick Or Be Dead" together with more progressive thought-provoking album tracks like "Afraid To Shoot Strangers" and "For The Greater Good Of God". This new collection charts the musical development of Britain's most successful metal band as they have evolved their sound, producing longer, more complex songs, gaining huge critical acclaim in the process. Featuring many of the epics for which the band has become renowned, it is accordingly released as a double CD, but will retail for the price of a single album.

The full track listing for the CD is as follows:

Disc 1

01. The Wicker Man

02. Holy Smoke

03. El Dorado

04. Paschendale

05. Different World

06. Man On The Edge (live)

07. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg

08. Blood Brothers

09. Rainmaker

10. Sign Of The Cross (live)

11. Brave New World

12. Fear Of The Dark (live)

Disc 2

01. Be Quick Or Be Dead

02. Tailgunner

03. No More Lies

04. Coming Home

05. The Clansman (live)

06. For The Greater Good Of God

07. These Colours Don't Run

08. Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter

09. Afraid To Shoot Strangers

10. Dance Of Death

11. When The Wild Wind Blows

maidenfromfear.jpg

it might be better if they can include at least 3 outtakes from any of those albums. I think I will pass this as I already have their complete studio albums with all those songs inside.

Yawn. I got all that sh*t already. Pass.

Even the album cover is kinda lame.

On a slightly cooler note, Maiden is selling these "Japan Event" t-shirts on their web site... with all the proceeds from their sale being donated to Japanese disaster relief efforts.

http://www.ironmaiden.com/index.php?categoryid=8&p2_articleid=1333

japan_shirt_art.jpg

These shirts were intended to be sold at the venues during their 2011 Japanese shows but of course the tour was cancelled due to the earthquake/tsunami disaster.

Wow I'm a little surprised by the negativity here. Yeah I have all of these songs and albums as well but I'll give them props for doing a comp of the last 20 years instead of another comp of the glory years that has been done over and over. At least with this for those that haven't given the last four discs a chance they can just buy the comp instead. Plus I dig the cover with all the elements from different songs and albums from the era. Again my only complaint is that the track list could be a little different but that's a minor complaint.

I dont understand why we need yet another compilation, and I certainly dont understand why they have to be so rude about the Blaze stuff by having live versions which probably have Bruce on vox.

Just another reason why I have lost most of my interest in Maiden since their "comeback". Half arsed new studio albums and a 1001 live or compilation albums is not gonna float my boat.

I buy the studio albums as I want the complete studio discography, and I hope they will once again record an album I enjoy, but they are not going to get any money off of me for yet another compilation.

• 1 month later...

These compilations always piss me off for throwing live tracks in with the studio stuff. If its a greatest hits disc, include ALL studio tracks. Nothing ruins the flow of an album worse than 8 studio tracks followed by a live track, then 5 or 6 more studio tracks, and another live song, etc.

Why do they do that shit??? If it's a live greatest hits disc, have the whole thing live.

:mad:

Thats an especially annoying when its an artist you dont want the complete discography of, but just want an album that includes all their biggest songs.

I've ended up buying two different compilations by an artist before because one of the songs I really liked was a bloody live version and didnt realise when I bought the first one.

These compilations always piss me off for throwing live tracks in with the studio stuff. If its a greatest hits disc, include ALL studio tracks. Nothing ruins the flow of an album worse than 8 studio tracks followed by a live track, then 5 or 6 more studio tracks, and another live song, etc.

Why do they do that shit??? If it's a live greatest hits disc, have the whole thing live.

:mad:

Backed! I hate live songs in compilations. I think they should have put the original Blaze studio tracks in the compilation.

As regards to the tracks, I think many great tunes were omitted and SHOULD be there("From Here To Eternity", "The Angel And The Gambler" "Out Of The Silent Planet", "The Mercenary", "Ghost Of The Navigator", "Montsegur", "The Longest Day"). However, it's a pretty decent compilation for those who don't want to buy the band's recent releases.