Netflix

Evil Rick

My wife and I signed up for Netflix towards the end of December. We went with the $8.00 plan that lets us watch movies online and thru our Wii. I have to say I couldn't be happier with it! They have an absolute TON of movies and shows to offer and as you rate movies you have seen it will suggest other choices for you. If you find a movie you want to watch at a later time you simply add it to your "queue" and it's there waiting for you whenever you're ready to watch it. Plus, if I am watching a movie on the internet (which I do quite often at work...shhh!) and can't finish it, I can pull it up on the Wii when I get home and continue right where I left off. It's awesome! :) I have found several movies that have never been available on dvd that I am finally able to watch again. A word of warning though, if you want to get it simply for the "New Releases", don't bother. Those (and some random older movies) are only available on DVD and that requires an additional $1-$2 more a month. But I've got enough movies and old tv shows in my queue to keep me busy for at least a year. :popcorn:

The wife and I have talked about joining up ever since the lone video store in our town closed up shop a year or so ago, but I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. Every month or so we get some junk mail from them offering us a free month-long trial, or whatever, and it makes me go "Hmmm, maybe now's the time" but for whatever reason we never get round to it.

Coincidentally, I read in the news today that Netflix plans to drastically reduce the "DVDs thru the mail" distribution method over the next couple of years and concentrate mainly on the online streaming end of things... which doesn't interest me at all, as I am not in the habit of watching movies on my computer and I don't own an Xbox or a Wii, whichever one they work with. So maybe I won't be bothering with it after all.

Ive had netflix for years and couldn't be happier. it is a little annoying not being able to get a lot of new releases on release date but the deal gets them more movies avaliable for streaming. wish I had something to stream to the tv though, that would be nice. maybe as the bluray player prices come down I'll get rid of my older one and get a new one that will let me stream from netflix

I don't watch much online stuff and get the 2DVDs at a time deal for about $14 per month and have loved it for the most part. I've been able to check out older shows that I missed out on like Carnivale(what an awesome show). X-Files, Threshold and many more. The announcement this week does worry me since I don't have a way to get what I'm watching on my computer to my TV so I hope they continue to offer DVDs.

I don't have Netflix but my sister and brother in law have the online deal where they stream it to their Nintento Wii and the absolutely love it. Only thing with this method is not everything that they have on DVD is available to stream yet but it sounds like they are going that way.

It is a bit frustrating when searching for a movie and the box pops up saying "this is only available on DVD", but when that happens you are offered suggestions of similar movies you might like that are available, and surprisingly enough the suggestions are pretty decent most of the time. Last night the kids and I watched an episode of Buck Rogers followed by an episode of the original Battlestar Galactica. I couldn't count how many times they said "wow, this is just like star wars!".

One question Rick. How do you connect the Wii to the internet? Is it a coaxial cable from the wall or do you have to go through the computer? I have a Wii which is connected to the tv that also has a cable box, does it need to go through there? :unsure:

One question Rick. How do you connect the Wii to the internet? Is it a coaxial cable from the wall or do you have to go through the computer? I have a Wii which is connected to the tv that also has a cable box, does it need to go through there? :unsure:

The Wii connects to the internet wirelessly. I have a wireless router set up in the house that our Wii connects to.

The Wii connects to the internet wirelessly. I have a wireless router set up in the house that our Wii connects to.

Ah....might have to check into that.

I use the Blockbuster online plan which is the same as Netflix but you have the option of returning your mailed movie at your local store and exchanging it for an in-store movie free. I use the online for old or obscure movies, concerts and tv series and get the new releases in store. I don't think they offer streaming video yet though.

• 7 months later...

you all seen the latest news. Netflix is splitting into 2 different entities. The streaming is still going to be called netflix but the dvd side is going to be calles quikster or something close to that. they have almost lost me. I canceled my streaming part of the service yesterday and kept the 2 dvd at a time option for now. you will 2 separate sites and everything when they put this into effect.

http://news.yahoo.com/netflix-continues-downward-spiral-amid-backlash-155029145.html

I've never been a Netflix member and now that they seem intent on pissing off their customers and committing commercial suicide I'd say that now is not the time to test the waters. :unsure:

I've got mine hard wired via a Wii ethernet adaptor.

I guess it would be different if their streaming line-up was worth anything. To be honest it is pretty poor selection if you are looking for anything kind of newish. doesn't have to be newest release but wow, looking at it is just poor selection except for TV shows and that is ok.

Yeah, you definitely don't want to subscribe to the streaming only if you are looking for the latest new releases. We use it mostly for the shows, especially kids shows. My two year old is constantly saying "watch...power...rangers???" since they have like every single power rangers episode ever made. I use the streaming at work quite often when we are slow, pull up an old movie I haven't seen and kill a couple hours. We never did the DVD part of it so this split doesn't affect us at all.