'Heavy' AOR

JamesEagle

Just after some tips for AOR bands at the heavier end of the spectrum, please. I'm looking to check out some AOR that has good guitars and isn't too laden with keyboards. Some keyboards are okay, but I prefer it when they are less dominant that the electric guitars. For example, I love some of the upbeat tracks on Harlan Cage's Forbidden Colors and have recently been enjoying Paradise - Light The Fire. Obscure is fine, as long as it's not CDs that come up once a year on eBay for around £300, in which case forget it! :D

AVIATOR

MASQUERADE

DALTON

GLORY

CASANOVA

FAIR WARNING

TOUR DE FORCE

Just to name a few.

Thanks, I know a couple of those, I'll check out others.

Listened to some Dalton tracks, didn't do much for me, but stumbled across another band, Action, who sound really good.

I would count Pretty Maids and Pink Cream 69 in this camp...

Yeah, PC69 is a good call ! I also recommend Frontline and Jaded Heart.

Giant (esp. the 'Time To Burn' album)

Yeah, I had that. I love 'Chained' and 'Lost In Paradise' is one of my favourite ballads ever, an incredible song, but apart from those two I can take or leave the album.

I had a couple of Pink Cream 69 CDs and I know they are popular on these forums, but I didn't like them too much.

Couple of new AOR finds today, both with plenty of guitars (although not necessarily guitar-dominated) - Joe Lamont and Mattador. Both seem pretty good.

I'd have thought Pretty Maids would be classed as Hard Rock rather than AOR, but I'm no expert...? :unsure:

Yeah, I had that. I love 'Chained' and 'Lost In Paradise' is one of my favourite ballads ever, an incredible song, but apart from those two I can take or leave the album.

I had a couple of Pink Cream 69 CDs and I know they are popular on these forums, but I didn't like them too much.

Couple of new AOR finds today, both with plenty of guitars (although not necessarily guitar-dominated) - Joe Lamont and Mattador. Both seem pretty good.

I'd have thought Pretty Maids would be classed as Hard Rock rather than AOR, but I'm no expert...? :unsure:

Don't like Pink Cream 69 ?? You are hard to please, mate ! ;)

Depends on what you define as Melodic Rock or AOR,(a whole different discussion) but they are 2 different things to me and the Casanovas, Fair Warnings, Giants, Glory, PC 69 etc of this world wouldn't be classed as AOR at all. Typically what has become the AOR genre over the years is quite light with generally loads of keys etc, so asking for heavier AOR bands is going to lead you into MR territory like all the bands named above. Just my opinion of course. ;)

I know. I have no problem with the sound of the band, I just didn't like the songs.

BTW, Bonfire - Point Blank rocks! Again I would say it was hard rock rather than AOR, but a great album.

I know. I have no problem with the sound of the band, I just didn't like the songs.

BTW, Bonfire - Point Blank rocks! Again I would say it was hard rock rather than AOR, but a great album.

LOL, this is exactly why I didnt reply in this thread James. You are a tough man to please! anyone who can seriously say they dont like 'Time To Burn' by Giant ('Without You' and 'Stay' are 2 of the best guitar driven AOR songs you are likely to hear) or any PC69 ('one Step Into Paradise', 'No Way Out', 'Shelter', 'Lost In Illusions')....I mean, come on man, are you serious?

That is a rhetorical question by the way ;-))

Cheers

LOL, this is exactly why I didnt reply in this thread James. You are a tough man to please! anyone who can seriously say they dont like 'Time To Burn' by Giant ('Without You' and 'Stay' are 2 of the best guitar driven AOR songs you are likely to hear) or any PC69 ('one Step Into Paradise', 'No Way Out', 'Shelter', 'Lost In Illusions')....I mean, come on man, are you serious?

Cheers

Yeah, I can see that it would seem this way. But the gaps in my collection left by things like Giant and PC69 are filled with loads of thrash and death metal CDs that I love. I admit that I don't like those Giant tracks ('Stay' is okay, but nothing special and I doubt I'll ever listen to it again) and I only liked 2 or 3 PC69 songs across the 2 CDs I had by them. Then again, I keep finding stuff I like, such as the artists mentioned in my last post in this thread and several others. I listened to the band Mad Max for the first time last night and really liked what I heard. Then again, I find other bands that are really popular on these forums (e.g. Khymera, Gotthard) and they do nothing for me at all. It's not deliberate and I don't want to piss anyone off - if I do, I've got two choices, either stop posting or pretend to like stuff that I really don't. There's no way I'm going to do the latter.

th_shrug-1.gif

The thing about Pretty Maids, and why I put them in this category, is that they can go from heavier numbers like "Back To Back" to downright poppy/ultra catchy songs like "Love Games"...that's a pretty broad range to be able to pull of as well as they do.

Backed, I think it is one of the few bands that can do that. Even the vocalist can switch his range depending on the songs!

Cheers

Yeah, I can see that it would seem this way. But the gaps in my collection left by things like Giant and PC69 are filled with loads of thrash and death metal CDs that I love. I admit that I don't like those Giant tracks ('Stay' is okay, but nothing special and I doubt I'll ever listen to it again) and I only liked 2 or 3 PC69 songs across the 2 CDs I had by them. Then again, I keep finding stuff I like, such as the artists mentioned in my last post in this thread and several others. I listened to the band Mad Max for the first time last night and really liked what I heard. Then again, I find other bands that are really popular on these forums (e.g. Khymera, Gotthard) and they do nothing for me at all. It's not deliberate and I don't want to piss anyone off - if I do, I've got two choices, either stop posting or pretend to like stuff that I really don't. There's no way I'm going to do the latter.

th_shrug-1.gif

'Stay' is one of the best songs ever recorded in the entirety of time, you child of Satan! ;)

Cheers

th_shrug-1.gif

'Stay' is one of the best songs ever recorded in the entirety of time, you child of Satan! ;)

Erm ... Wow, look over there! :gone:

AVIATOR

MASQUERADE

DALTON

GLORY

CASANOVA

FAIR WARNING

TOUR DE FORCE

Just to name a few.

Thanks, I know a couple of those, I'll check out others.

Listened to some Dalton tracks, didn't do much for me, but stumbled across another band, Action, who sound really good.

Try Dare's Blood From Stone...friggin' sweet IMO.