DAMN that was a lotta snow!

Fat Freddy

Hi Folks!!

In case y'all wondered where I've been the last day or two (you were wondering, weren't you? You weren't? Ehhh, I knew it...), New Jersey had a MASSIVE freakin snowstorm over the past two days and I am lucky enough to live in the town that got one of the highest snow totals in the entire state... I believe the grand total for my neighborhood was 28 inches when it was all said and done, but some other parts of town reported 30+ inches.

The storm started on Thursday morning and got hairy enough by mid-afternoon that I bailed outta work at 3:15 PM. I told my boss "as far as tomorrow goes, if I get here, I'll get here." The ride home was a long, scary, sloppy one, the half hour ride took me closer to 90 minutes because the roads sucked already. When I got home we battened down the hatches as the storm roared in. Our electricity went out at about 7:30 PM Thursday night (which was not fun) so we hung out around the house by candlelight. The power was still out when we put the kids to bed around 9 PM so we put extra cozy sweats/PJ's on 'em and laid extra blankets on the beds. The electricity did come back shortly after midnight, thankfully, but our phone, cable TV and internet service were frazzed even when the power came back on. We get all three services from the cable company and they didn't get anyone out here to get those services back on till mid-afternoon today.

I woke up Friday AM, looked out the window and said "fugeddaboutit, I am not goin' anywhere" because the snow was already up to the tops of the tires on my car. And it just kept comin', and comin', and COMING!! The snow would stop periodically so the kids and I ran outside to shovel/play in the snow, then it would start up again, over and over, till it finally petered out at around 8 PM last night.

It took me hours upon hours to shovel all of this stuff and I'm now bone tired, sweaty, and I don't want to see any more snow till next year. This was unreal, I haven't seen sh*t like this since the infamous Blizzard of '96.

Anybody else got caught in this late-winter blast?

Some pix:

12329_1325612694371_1052500800_1052634_6759507_n.jpg

This was the view out my bedroom window at about 8 AM Friday...

12329_1325612734372_1052500800_1052635_6577755_n.jpg

Frozen tree @ the end of my neighbor's driveway

12329_1325612934377_1052500800_1052638_3118958_n.jpg

My dog was the lucky beast who got to test out the new snow first on Friday morning...

12329_1325612814374_1052500800_1052636_6872164_n.jpg

Finally the shoveling process begins!! Here my son Matt sits atop the Glacier that formed from shoveling snow off of my driveway.

12329_1325612854375_1052500800_1052637_106561_n.jpg

The kids and I built this (vaguely creepy) looking snowman, which they named "Chuck" for some reason.

12329_1325798859025_1052500800_1053181_1334703_n.jpg

Finally got the driveway and vehicles cleared around 1 PM today.

12329_1325798939027_1052500800_1053183_5264278_n.jpg

...but the snowplows did a number on my mail box, which is on the corner @ the end of my street... Thankfully I'm not waiting for any CDs in the mail. I haven't gotten any mail since Thursday. :lol: I was too tired to f*ck around with it today so it'll get dug out tomorrow.

12329_1325798979028_1052500800_1053184_5671033_n.jpg

My kids strike a heroic pose atop the Snow Heap...

12329_1325799059030_1052500800_1053185_892540_n.jpg

...while my poor dog wonders when he'll be able to find a nice flat piece of yard to go potty on again.

Gee Keef!

I live in Jackson and I got maybe 6 inches at best. My boss did call me friday morning and told me to stay home. I'm really sick & tired of this snow... :thppt:

Yea, well, you got hammered a couple of weeks ago while we here in North Jersey got nothin' at all. I guess this storm was payback.

Ohhh... seems like just a week or two ago I was dealing with about 40 inches or so (snow that is). My golden had to blaze a trail for my cocker spaniel. Your back will be normal in about a week after all the shoveling. But come on Keef... the kids sure could have built a little bigger snowman with all that snow. It appears you didn't wanna help them after you were done shoveling.

PS ~ Glad that one missed us as we still have over 12 inches on the ground from the last 2 storms.

But come on Keef... the kids sure could have built a little bigger snowman with all that snow. It appears you didn't wanna help them after you were done shoveling.

You've almost got it right...actually, the little buggers didn't want to help me with the damn snowman at all, and since I still had a f*ckload of shoveling to do, I slapped that thing together in about two minutes, said "there, you happy now?" and went back to work! :lol:

But come on Keef... the kids sure could have built a little bigger snowman with all that snow. It appears you didn't wanna help them after you were done shoveling.

You've almost got it right...actually, the little buggers didn't want to help me with the damn snowman at all, and since I still had a f*ckload of shoveling to do, I slapped that thing together in about two minutes, said "there, you happy now?" and went back to work! :lol:

You were lucky then... My son wasn't happy until we had completed a nine foot tall kangaroo. :yikes:

Update... yesterday's snowman, "Chuck," met an untimely demise when my two year old decided to practice some Kung Fu movs on him... so please welcome the much cleaner, less creepy looking, new and improved "Chuck 2.0"

25893_1326557157982_1052500800_1055376_1930887_n.jpg

Update... yesterday's snowman, "Chuck," met an untimely demise when my two year old decided to practice some Kung Fu movs on him... so please welcome the much cleaner, less creepy looking, new and improved "Chuck 2.0"

25893_1326557157982_1052500800_1055376_1930887_n.jpg

Are you kidding me...? That one is no bigger then "Chuck 1.0". How do you get away with that...? I'm gonna need to show my son these pictures so he NEVER wants to build a 9 foot snow kangaroo again. :spchewie:

Are you kidding me...? That one is no bigger then "Chuck 1.0". How do you get away with that...? I'm gonna need to show my son these pictures so he NEVER wants to build a 9 foot snow kangaroo again. :spchewie:

:rofl: They were too damn tired to build anything bigger after spending all afternoon climbing over and sliding down the snow hills along the driveway...though I did have to talk them out of making a whole army of "Chucks," ala the "Snow Goons" from the classic "Calvin and Hobbes" comic strip.

...and hey, I wanna see a picture of this 9 foot snow kangaroo!!!

:rofl: They were too damn tired to build anything bigger after spending all afternoon climbing over and sliding down the snow hills along the driveway...though I did have to talk them out of making a whole army of "Chucks," ala the "Snow Goons" from the classic "Calvin and Hobbes" comic strip.

...and hey, I wanna see a picture of this 9 foot snow kangaroo!!!

Well... We did get a few pictures. It was to tall to get the whole thing in. I'll see what I can do about posting a picture of the giant killer kangaroo. Thank God he didn't want an army of those things. Actually I'm not even sure if they travel in armies or not. Maybe Geoff or one of our other friends from Oz could fill us in on the habits of the kangaroo.

Well... We did get a few pictures. It was to tall to get the whole thing in. I'll see what I can do about posting a picture of the giant killer kangaroo. Thank God he didn't want an army of those things. Actually I'm not even sure if they travel in armies or not. Maybe Geoff or one of our other friends from Oz could fill us in on the habits of the kangaroo.

:tumbsup:

:pics: