Registered Post

Geoff

To start off the story, I have been trading CDs all over the world for nearly 15 years now. In those 15 years I have never once used Registered Mail and I've never had a problem (except that one c*nt who stole 2 of my CDs but that's another issue).

I just lined up a trade with a nice chap from Russia and one of the guidelines to the trade was that we use Registered Post, as he would be doing so. So I thought, fair enough, I'm getting Skagarak's debut out of it so why not. It'll probably cost me a couple of extra dollars. Literally, I was expecting to pay $1 or $2 extra.

Well FUCK ME WITH A FUCKING BOWLING BALL!!! To send 2 CDs registered to Russia, it cost me au$23!!!! What the fuck? Non-registered, this would have cost me au$5.85 or something close and I'd have been delighted. As it is, the trade is completely fucked for me. If I'd known those costs were involved I would have bailed as soon as I saw 'Registered Post' mentioned. I could have bought that Skagarak CD for less than au$23 and still had my 2 CDs to trade.

So is this a strangely fucked up price, or is that what you guys pay every time you register parcels?

This is why I won't spend the money to register overseas packages. Like you found out, it's a ripoff that works only in the post office favor. I take my chances with just regular overseas shipping. I've only been screwed over a couple of times with overseas trades so it's still been worth it not to register them.

Sounds a bit high, but yes, depending on the country you live in, Registered Mail is a giant screw job.

Here in the U.S. it's US$11.00 in addition to whatever you would normally pay in postage.

... and have a nice day.

This is why I won't spend the money to register overseas packages. Like you found out, it's a ripoff that works only in the post office favor. I take my chances with just regular overseas shipping. I've only been screwed over a couple of times with overseas trades so it's still been worth it not to register them.

Yeah, one thing for sure is that I will never do it again. How it is worth it for people who trade CDs is beyond me. Fair enough if you're selling stuff and incorporate it into the price... but for trading it completely devalues any worth in the trade.

Sounds a bit high, but yes, depending on the country you live in, Registered Mail is a giant screw job.

Here in the U.S. it's US$11.00 in addition to whatever you would normally pay in postage.

... and have a nice day.

us$11... and I paid approx au$17 - at the current conversion, yeah, works out almost the same. So it's a worldwide scam. :(

Sorry to hear that Geoff!!

I never traded c.d.'s before with anyone. This topic is an eye opener!!! :yikes:

Please don't get fucked by a bowling ball. I heard you must have a certain talent for that exercise. :popcorn:

:lol: Yes, I'm a very talented man. ;)

Yeah, I guess the best advice for trading CDs is if you can - do it with people you know and trust and vice versa... so you don't need this registered crap. It's an absolute ass-f*ck.

i've heard that Russia has a bad rep concerning post going bye bye kgb style,so that's why Aussie Post bunks up the price.it's still a rip off,reg post to that part of the world i'll pay $10 but no more.

have turned down deals from that part of the world because of the cost and risk.

pay for insurance ... it's cheaper! and if the discs "go misssing" you get your money back anyway.

Just a heads up....I was told years ago by an actual post office employee to not ever bother buying insurance either. He told me that even if your package was lost you would probably never be reimbursed for it. The post office has ways of getting out of paying up. Again, this was years ago. Maybe things have gotten better since.