Shy - Excess All Areas

Jeff

I've been thinking about getting the Shy - Excess All Areas.

I never see the original up on Ebay.

So how is the remaster, good quality or did they just turn up the volume? How are the bonus tracks?

Remastering is ok on this one and sounds fine to my ears. Bonus tracks are good aswell. All in all a good re-issue of a fantastic album.

I've been thinking about getting the Shy - Excess All Areas.

I never see the original up on Ebay.

So how is the remaster, good quality or did they just turn up the volume? How are the bonus tracks?

I've seen the original a few times, & 9 times out of 10 you're better off with the original IMO. But if the re-issue is much easier to get then definitely pick that up, good sound quality & reasonably good bonus tracks....

Never managed to pick this one up, as I only owned Misspent youth on cassette years ago and a 7" single from the Excess all areas CD, and while I did like them, neither blew me away enought to seek out anything else.

I must admit I much prefer the Wardi fronted album, as it has a heavier Twisted Sister vibe, which is more my thing.

I did pick up Misspent youth on CD a few years ago, and someone at the record label gave me a copy of their Live in Europe CD, but still never felt the need to seek out anything else.

Now there is a reissue, maybe I will at some point though.

It has to be said though that the British rock media (namely Kerrang) were never too kind about Shy back in the 80s, often referring to them as Shyte, so its no wonder that maybe I was a bit dubious of picking up anything else by them!

I did pick up Misspent youth on CD a few years ago, and someone at the record label gave me a copy of their Live in Europe CD, but still never felt the need to seek out anything else.

Now there is a reissue, maybe I will at some point though.

Yeah "Misspent Youth" was patchy, & horribly produced. Nowhere close to "Excess All Areas" IMO, though "Excess..." is probably a more lightweight album....

Thanks for the feedback so far...and based on what's been said I think I'll be fine grabbing a remaster of this cd.

I agree about the poor production of Misspent Youth, but despite that I really liked it. Never Trust A Stranger and Love On The Line (which is probably the worst as production goes) are my favorites.

I had the original, the release that came out back in 1995, I got Brave The Storm at the same time, I still have Brave, I wasnt a huge fan of Excess, aside from my favorite Shy song,(Under Fire) it really didnt do a whole lot for me. Just M.O.

I had the original, the release that came out back in 1995, I got Brave The Storm at the same time, I still have Brave, I wasnt a huge fan of Excess, aside from my favorite Shy song,(Under Fire) it really didnt do a whole lot for me. Just M.O.

It is a good disc, I'll give it that... but maybe a tad over-rated.

I have the Zoom Club 2001 release and it's solid. Not the best sounding cd but far better than most of the Zoom Club stuff that just sounds like a busted radio sunk in mud (or shit, depending on your perspective). The songs, themselves, are great IMO.

I still think 'Excess..'is way out the best album Shy have done by a massive margin. The previous 'Brave The Storm' was pretty good in places, but I remember thinking when 'Excess ..' was released, it absolutely jumped all over 'Brave'. Songs like the awesome 'Young Heart', 'Can't Fight The Nights' and 'Emergency' were on my stereo for weeks and weeks (but not the Cliff Richard cover surprisingly ;) ). Still love this album to this day and it is a hell of a great record.

I still think 'Excess..'is way out the best album Shy have done by a massive margin. The previous 'Brave The Storm' was pretty good in places, but I remember thinking when 'Excess ..' was released, it absolutely jumped all over 'Brave'. Songs like the awesome 'Young Heart', 'Can't Fight The Nights' and 'Emergency' were on my stereo for weeks and weeks (but not the Cliff Richard cover surprisingly ;) ). Still love this album to this day and it is a hell of a great record.

I agree it's their best disc.

I agree. Their best work by far. It is a fantastic album :banana:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I actually ended up picking up the Jap version, as I found it pretty cheap.

I could have got the Zoom club reissue (the only reissue that Amazon lists, but doesnt list any bonus tracks) for about £1.50 less, or paid something like £4 more for the original UK release, but felt I was better off going with the Jap issue seeing as elsewhere it was being sold for £22 (I paid just over £9).

Ok, just played this all the way through, including the three bonus tracks and I have to say I am stunned by this album.

Ok, I aint gonna go as far as to say its a truly amazing release or that its gonna get constant rotation, but it is certainly better than i was expecting.

I had only ever heard two tracks from this, and I have to say the Cliff Richard cover was always enjoyable in a tacky kinda way, but the other song is probably the worst song on here, which is why i avoided it for so long.

Definetly a big improvement over Misspent youth, and one thats certainly gonna have a few tracks put into my rock playlist!