Which Marillion albums are worth listening to?

Faron

My mate from work has lent me Script For A Jesters Tear.

I`ve read some reviews which rate it as a classic, I know sod all about this band other than the track Kayleigh!

Is this their best, which others are recommended?

There may have been a post elsewhere about this, so apologies if there is :tumbsup:

Great band mate and this really depends on which era of the band you want to try, as the Fish era and Steve Hogarth era's are two different beasts.

The Fish stuff is alot more typical Neo Progressive rock (very Genesis inspired on their really early stuff) with 'Script' being an excellent example - It is a great disc and well worth getting, although all of the Fish period in my opinion is worth listening to.

The Hogarth era is very different, but no less excellent, with some really great discs to check out - 'Seasons End' really is a fantastic disc ('Easter' is a mega mega track and one of my all time fave songs EVER) aswell as is the more AOR'ish 'Holidays In Eden', and as 'Afraid Of Sunlight' and 'Brave'.

More recent stuff has seen the band in a more experimental mode, but I still really love the new stuff they are coming out with and 'Marbles' was one of the strongest discs they have ever released.

They have a Huge back catologue to check out, so below is a brief summary (a mixture of each era) which I reckon you should start with. Happy Listening.

'Script For A Jesters Tear'

'Misplaced Childhood'

'Clutching At Straws

'Seasons End'

'Holidays In Eden'

'Afraid Of Sunlight'

'Marbles'

I only own the album "A Singles Collection" from them and quite like it :tumbsup:

The Fish era is the real classic stuff.

Studio albums, Script, Fugazi and Misplaced Childhood are the best. Clutching At Straws is pretty good, but not an essential purchase in my book.

If you do buy Script, make sure you get the re-mastered version with bonus disc. The sound is soooooo much better and the bonus disc contains some of their best songs (not on any albums) such as the classic 'Grendel' etc.

Id also buy the live albums 'Reel to Real' (this contains a much better version of Emerald Lies - excellent tracks off Fugazi) and 'The Thieving Magpie' as both are excellent.

:drink:

None :)

:lol: That's what I was going to say. Not that I think they have no talent, because they clearly do, but to me they're firmly entrenched in yawnville. :(

Well youve obviously got to be a fan of progressive rock :screwy:

If you are, then Script and Fugazi are 2 of the best Neo Progressive albums ever released IMO

I had a roommate in college who was OBSESSED with these guys... he played the "Misplaced Childhood" album so much during our time living together that first I grew to like it, then by the end of the school year I was completely sick of it.

Great band mate and this really depends on which era of the band you want to try, as the Fish era and Steve Hogarth era's are two different beasts.

The Fish stuff is alot more typical Neo Progressive rock (very Genesis inspired on their really early stuff) with 'Script' being an excellent example - It is a great disc and well worth getting, although all of the Fish period in my opinion is worth listening to.

The Hogarth era is very different, but no less excellent, with some really great discs to check out - 'Seasons End' really is a fantastic disc ('Easter' is a mega mega track and one of my all time fave songs EVER) aswell as is the more AOR'ish 'Holidays In Eden', and as 'Afraid Of Sunlight' and 'Brave'.

More recent stuff has seen the band in a more experimental mode, but I still really love the new stuff they are coming out with and 'Marbles' was one of the strongest discs they have ever released.

They have a Huge back catologue to check out, so below is a brief summary (a mixture of each era) which I reckon you should start with. Happy Listening.

'Script For A Jesters Tear'

'Misplaced Childhood'

'Clutching At Straws

'Seasons End'

'Holidays In Eden'

'Afraid Of Sunlight'

'Marbles'

Thanks Jez, I`ve played the album about 5 times so far, normally takes me a while, sounds the kind of stuff I`ll love :tumbsup:

Cheers for the recommendations, looking forward to give these a fair crack :tumbsup:

Studio albums, Script, Fugazi and Misplaced Childhood are the best. Clutching At Straws is pretty good, but not an essential purchase in my book.

If you do buy Script, make sure you get the re-mastered version with bonus disc. The sound is soooooo much better and the bonus disc contains some of their best songs (not on any albums) such as the classic 'Grendel' etc.

Id also buy the live albums 'Reel to Real' (this contains a much better version of Emerald Lies - excellent tracks off Fugazi) and 'The Thieving Magpie' as both are excellent.

Cheers for the reply Glen, the disc I`ve borrowed is just 6 tracks, read some reviews and it had Grendel etc and I kind of got confused which doesn`t take much :tumbsup:

Cheers for the reply Glen, the disc I`ve borrowed is just 6 tracks, read some reviews and it had Grendel etc and I kind of got confused which doesn`t take much :tumbsup:

The standard studio album 'Script' was just 6 tracks.

However there were numberous 'B-sides' to the multitude of 12 inch vinyls that Marillion released at the time which were all excellent.

For example, 'Grendel', 'Market Square Heroes', '3 Boats Down From The Candy', 'Cinderella Search' etc etc.

Or alternatively you could just get this -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bsides-Themselves-...f=pd_sim_m_h__3

.........which is a fantastic disc in its own right......and stands up against any of the studio albums :tumbsup:

(PS the comments on that Amazon page are spot on)

The standard studio album 'Script' was just 6 tracks.

However there were numberous 'B-sides' to the multitude of 12 inch vinyls that Marillion released at the time which were all excellent.

For example, 'Grendel', 'Market Square Heroes', '3 Boats Down From The Candy', 'Cinderella Search' etc etc.

Or alternatively you could just get this -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bsides-Themselves-...f=pd_sim_m_h__3

.........which is a fantastic disc in its own right......and stands up against any of the studio albums :tumbsup:

(PS the comments on that Amazon page are spot on)

Appreciate all the info mate, still playing this album and enjoying it. :tumbsup:

Will borrow whatever comes next in their disography from my mate, who loves these and raves about the shows from the 80`s :tumbsup:

For Marillion B'sides, of which there are many great ones, then these are definitely the babies to go for. Fantastic sets :bowdown:

The Singles 82-88

http://www.marillion.com/music/albums/fishbox.htm

The Singles 89-95

http://www.marillion.com/music/albums/hbox.htm

For Marillion B'sides, of which there are many great ones, then these are definitely the babies to go for. Fantastic sets :bowdown:

The Singles 82-88

The Singles 89-95

Cheers Jez, I`m breaking myself in slowly but some great recommendations :tumbsup:

The Singles 82-88

The Singles 89-95

Cheers Jez, I`m breaking myself in slowly but some great recommendations :tumbsup:

Yeah, Just pointing these out for future reference mate - These Box sets are for after you have checked out the studio albums, as there are some fantastic B'sides - as good as some of the album tracks. :tumbsup:

The Singles 82-88

The Singles 89-95

Yeah, Just pointing these out for future reference mate - These Box sets are for after you have checked out the studio albums, as there are some fantastic B'sides - as good as some of the album tracks. :tumbsup:

Great stuff mate, much appreciated :tumbsup: