Gary Moore's 80's Hard Rock Releases

Gary Moore's 80's Hard Rock Releases  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Gary Moore had released some KILLER Hard Rock stuff before he got the Blooze..

I mainly focused on his 80's Studio and Live Releases and left the Blues stuff out..

His Playing is Smokin and he has a Great Voice IMO...My Fave Studio Release

is "Corridors Of Power"...My Fave Live (and over-all release) is "We Want Moore"

on which he really let's loose...

'Corridors Of Power' is an awesome disc and my choice of his 80's stuff, although there isn't a bad CD on this list - special mention to 'Run For Cover' with Glenn Hughes and Phil Lynott. Of the live stuff, I have always liked 'Rockin' Every Night - Live In Japan'. I remember getting it on Jap Import vinyl back in the day (cost me a packet) and updated to CD a few years back - great live disc. 'We Want Moore' is also a goodie though.

Interesting....the only one I own and have heard is 'Wild Frontier' which I remember as being okay but not great (got it on cassette somewhere).....soooooo the general consensus is that the Corridors release is his best..?? How does the 'Wild Frontier' release compare to his other stuff..??

It's a decent enough release, but like most of his albums, they're weighed down by my assertion that he only has 5-6 good songs per album. The other tracks range from forgettable to just plain embarrassing to listen to. On Wild Frontier, the title track, Over The Hills And Far Away, Take A Little Time, and Thunder Rising are worthy of repeated listenings. The Loner is a decent enough instrumental devoid of flash in favor of subtlety and taste. Friday On My Mind falls into that just plain embarrassing category, and Strangers In The Darkness and Crying In The Shadows are perfect examples that Moore could sound like a eunuch with the best (worst) of them. Johnny Boy is a song I simply cannot listen to again, as it was played at my wife's Uncle John's funeral, and there was not a dry eye in the house. Moore was always an enigma; he could kick your arse with screaming hard rock one minute, and then nauseate you with the suckiest ballad you've ever heard, the next. THEN, he could fuck you over by turning his back on rock for a 20 year hard on over the blues.

I mainly focused on his 80's Studio and Live Releases and left the Blues stuff out..

is "Corridors Of Power"...My Fave Live (and over-all release) is "We Want Moore"

My thoughts exactly. I'm pretty sure alot of people here haven't even heard "Corridors Of Power". It's a release that you should at least give a spin. This one never got the recognition that it deserved.

Run For Cover is may fav Gary Moore album, however, my fav song is 'Empty Rooms' which I think was released a few years earlier. 'Empty Rooms' its one of the best rock ballads ever.

For those new to Gary Moore, you should pick up his best of album called 'Out In The Fields' - it covers his 80's stuff quite well and is a nice package.

I really like Victims of the future as well! :tumbsup:

Both share my thoughts as well :tumbsup:

I'm giving my nod to "Victims of the Future" over "Corridors" though a close one. Not coincidentally, Ian Paice bangs the drums on both. 'Slinger, I'm with you that when Gary is on, he really hits home, and when he isn't, well... most of my Gary Moore is on vinyl, so its a lot harder to hit the skip button ! 'White Knuckles" has some incredible guitar playing(Rockin & Rollin,Dirty Fingers, Really Gonna Rock Tonight) and then some not so much(You Kissed me Sweetly, Dancin' ,Hot Gossip) "Anthology" (released in '86, all pre - Corridors material) is the same. I love 'The Loner" but not a lot else after that hit home for me. He bought Peter Green's '59 gold top Les Paul to help him through some bad times and did the tribute "Blues for Greeny" but for the uninitiated, "Victims" and "Corridors" are where you will want to start.

http://nightwatchershouseofrock.blogspot.c...ses-german.html

Mindboggling, at best. These German guys wait 18 years to sue? Much as I despise Moore's bluesy works, I find it hard to believe he'd copy a solo from anyone. And is this decision binding world-wide, or just in Germany?

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Did I mention how good 'Empty Rooms' is - bloody excellent ballad.

..And you would be totally correct in that statement ;)

• 2 months later...

Did I mention how good 'Empty Rooms' is - bloody excellent ballad.

I played this alot after a couple of break ups while downing large amounts of alcohol. :crying:

Been playing abit of Gary Moore after a long period of time and it brings up some fun memories,ahhhhh the good old days.

• 8 months later...