Guns & Roses vs Metallica - 2008

Guns & Roses vs Metallica  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Democracy though, fits in quite nicely with modern rock/metal, while still retaining some of the classic sound!

Sorry but "Chinese Democracy" bears no resemblance whatsoever to any Modern Rock/Metal, unless you mean Modern Rock or Metal from the early 90's - with the Industrial feel & down-tuned guitar. Modern Rock is upbeat & uptempo, & Modern Metal is ultra aggressive. "Democracy" is just fairly dark-sounding mid-tempo Rock, some of it even sounds not too dissimilar from what Nine Inch Nails did in their early career. All of the production effects & guitar tones (including using the whammy pedal) are straight out of the 90's - nobody's done those things for 10 years. Again I'm not being critical, as obviously most of it was actually recorded in the 90's, but it bares no resemblance to any other 2008 Rock/Metal release. In fact it sounds a lot older than Seb Bach's last solo disc....

I can definitely understand people saying that "Death Magnetic" sounds dated though!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I heard 'Death magnetic' over the weekend and have no problem at all giving my vote to Guns N' Roses, by a landslide. I just have absolutely no time at all for stuff like that new Metallica CD. Obviously they know their craft, but to me it just sounds like what a lot of modern heavy metal bands are doing at the moment, but not as good. As Howdy says, there is not a hook to be seen on the album. As Tim notes, that's not what Metallica's about. But me personally, I like my music worthwhile with hooks and I don't have the patience to sit there listening to 70mins without a highlight or interesting moment, imo.

At the end of the day, Jez's opinion is pretty much the most straight forward and accurate here. :lol: I admit I am getting to quite enjoy the Gunners disc... sort of, but really, neither of these albums are very good at all. :)

Okay, so I heard 'Death magnetic' over the weekend and have no problem at all giving my vote to Guns N' Roses, by a landslide. I just have absolutely no time at all for stuff like that new Metallica CD. Obviously they know their craft, but to me it just sounds like what a lot of modern heavy metal bands are doing at the moment, but not as good. As Howdy says, there is not a hook to be seen on the album. As Tim notes, that's not what Metallica's about. But me personally, I like my music worthwhile with hooks and I don't have the patience to sit there listening to 70mins without a highlight or interesting moment, imo.

At the end of the day, Jez's opinion is pretty much the most straight forward and accurate here. :lol: I admit I am getting to quite enjoy the Gunners disc... sort of, but really, neither of these albums are very good at all. :)

I have a few mates that were previously Metallica and GNR fans and all of them think both these discs are complete shite aswell, so we are not alone. Pretty much a split decision for and against on both of these from what I have read so far. With so many great albums in loads of different genres this year, I really do believe that these two are at the bottom of the pile in terms of quality.

GN'R's Has become one of my top 5 of the year...it's seems to be a

common thing among a lot of people to pick this release apart and hate cause

of various reasons but the fact is It's a Great Release...IMO at least....there's

a lot of depth and attention to song structure, and some of the BEST guitar playing

(solo wise) I have heard in a long time. Buckethead and Robin Finck have some

GREAT inter-weaving and their Tones are outstanding. AXL's Vocals the the best he

has ever done..and his knack for wordplay has never been better...

Metallica's Release, while good, has an awful sound on some songs, and the

hooks are not as good in some songs as in others. Still it's a solid, if average,

release from them, but much better than the crap they have been shoveling out to us

for the last 15 years..

I have a few mates that were previously Metallica and GNR fans and all of them think both these discs are complete shite aswell, so we are not alone. Pretty much a split decision for and against on both of these from what I have read so far. With so many great albums in loads of different genres this year, I really do believe that these two are at the bottom of the pile in terms of quality.

Death Magnetic > Chinese Democracy

By a country mile.

:tumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Metallica all the way, baby. When it comes to GNR: "Chinese Democracy," several folks here have remarked that it gets better with repeated spins, but for me, it's been exactly the opposite--I liked it okay the first time I heard it, then with every subsequent spin the lack of quality hooks (hell, the lack of bona fide choruses, at least on several songs) began to stand out. I don't hate the album, but having heard it several times now, I feel no need to ever hear it again, aside from the song "Better," which is as close as this incarnation of GNR comes to the GNR of old.