BAD HABIT "Above and Beyond"

TIM (2)

The legendary AOR band Bad Habit formed in Lund, Sweden in 1986 by Hal Marabel and now ex-keyboard player Doc Pat Shannon. They released their first album (mini-album) Young & Innocent in 1987 and were actually the first band to get an independently produced music video aired on Swedish national TV. The video was of their first ever single release Need Somebody. The band have since released 7 albums, their latest of them released in 2005, entitled [hear-say].

Bad Habit now return with a powerful new album Above And Beyond, which features a more melodic approach than the previous album. Above And Beyond continues on where the now classic album Adult Orientation left off (released in 1998 and considered by many to be the band's best album ever).

Once again produced by Jonas Reingold, the new album shows off a crisp and modern-sounding production with catchy and melodic rock tunes that engage the listener.

http://www.metalheaven.net/soundbytes/AORH...oodbye-edit.mp3

http://www.metalheaven.net/soundbytes/AORH...nt_You-edit.mp3

http://www.metalheaven.net/soundbytes/AORH...t-Away-edit.mp3

http://www.arenavip.com/Bad-Habit-Clips/Ab...ou-streamed.wmv (VIDEO for "I Don't Want You)

That video is absolutely awful. It looks like it could be dated 1982 rather than 2008.

Yeah it's a shocker. I do like these new songs, but they do sound very familiar. "I Don't Want You" has exactly the same chorus melody as "The Air That I Breathe" off the last album...

WOW! Wasn't expecting this so soon. Pretty pissed off I can't get any of the samples to wok because this computer doesn't have a validated WMP or something. F*ck... can't wait to hear this. Love these guys.

EDIT: Okay, just heard 'I don't want you' on myspace and I am officially in love. DELICIOUS!!! 'Just a heartbeat away' is a little average for my liking but zomfg again at 'Don't want to say goodbye'. Two killer tracks there.

WOW! Wasn't expecting this so soon. Pretty pissed off I can't get any of the samples to wok because this computer doesn't have a validated WMP or something. F*ck... can't wait to hear this. Love these guys.

phaffas reckons you are pissed off coz he heard these songs before you did..

Definitely.

wtf? :unsure:

Yes these guys are all my all time fave AOR Melodic Rock band!

Very happy with what i hear with the new release - ABOVE & BEYOND!

Yeah the clip is kinda cheap i know but i`m sure they have next to nothing budget to work with so kudos to them for even putting out a video clip in this day and age!

Great song as well!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

EDIT: Okay, just heard 'I don't want you' on myspace and I am officially in love. DELICIOUS!!! 'Just a heartbeat away' is a little average for my liking but zomfg again at 'Don't want to say goodbye'. Two killer tracks there.

'Just A Heartbeat Away' is probably the worst song there.

Wait til you hear 'I Need Someone' :bowdown: - I am not worthy!

First essential purchase of 09.

• 3 weeks later...

Heard this yesterday and I'm glad to say the band that have yet to disappoint have not decided to begin disappointing yet. Another great disc. I was pre-occupied as I listened, but the first song sounded a gem, as did many around the start of the disc. My only issue with this band - and has been from the start - is how many completely pussy-whipped sappy cheese love songs can a band write??? :lol: Still, great stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

A few not-so-great tracks on this, but overall I am impressed. I am really loving 'I don't want you', 'Don't want to say goodbye', 'A lot to learn' and 'Let me tell you'. 'I need someone' is pretty sweet too, if not a little too much like other songs.

A few not-so-great tracks on this, but overall I am impressed. I am really loving 'I don't want you', 'Don't want to say goodbye', 'A lot to learn' and 'Let me tell you'. 'I need someone' is pretty sweet too, if not a little too much like other songs.

The only really great tracks for me are the first and last.......also, does 'I Need Someone' sound like 'Another Night'??

One thing is for sure. Place Vendome destroys it.

So I've really tried with this as I'm a huge fan, but it's really dull. Easily their worst ever album, & the only one that just simply isn't worth buying. Even the really good tunes sound so similar to their older stuff. A really poor effort....

• 2 weeks later...

The only really great tracks for me are the first and last.......also, does 'I Need Someone' sound like 'Another Night'??

So having lived with this one & played it repeatedly for a couple of weeks I've reached the same conclusion as Glen. There's nothing horrible on there but there are a lot of songs that sound identical to past albums. In fact if you play this alongside the last 3 Bad Habit albums they all just sound like a continuation of the same recording session. The 2 best songs are "I Don't Need You" (which has the exact same chorus as "The Air I Breathe" from the last album) and "I Need Someone" (which has the same chorus as "Another Night" - as Glen mentioned), with the rest of the songs being decent but nothing special. This album reminds me of the "Adult Orientation" disc, a few killer songs but largely forgettable, & a disappointing album from one of my all-time favourite bands...

So having lived with this one & played it repeatedly for a couple of weeks I've reached the same conclusion as Glen. There's nothing horrible on there but there are a lot of songs that sound identical to past albums. In fact if you play this alongside the last 3 Bad Habit albums they all just sound like a continuation of the same recording session. The 2 best songs are "I Don't Need You" (which has the exact same chorus as "The Air I Breathe" from the last album) and "I Need Someone" (which has the same chorus as "Another Night" - as Glen mentioned), with the rest of the songs being decent but nothing special. This album reminds me of the "Adult Orientation" disc, a few killer songs but largely forgettable, & a disappointing album from one of my all-time favourite bands...

Agreed, not a patch on Revolution.....and as much as I like 'I Need Someone', 'Another Night' is far superior.

So you guys weren't into 'Don't want to say goodbye', 'A lot to learn' and 'Let me tell you'? I thought those three were much, much better than this 'I need someone' y'all seem stuck on. :)

So you guys weren't into 'Don't want to say goodbye', 'A lot to learn' and 'Let me tell you'? I thought those three were much, much better than this 'I need someone' y'all seem stuck on. :)

'Dont Want To Say Goodbye' has an awful accent running through it (sounds like the bloody scorpions)

As for the other 2, I probably prefer 'Never Gonna Give You Up'....although both you mention are good tracks. That's the problem tho, just good...not great.

:drink:

Here's my rundown of the tracks:-

1. I Don't Want You - Killer opener, great poppy/uptempo AOR number

2. Just A Heartbeat Away - Decent tune, killer pre-chorus but only an okay chorus. Slightly heavier than their normal

3. Don't Want To Say Goodbye - Another strong tune in a good opening to the album, though the weak vocals kinda spoil it

4. Let Me Be The One - More subtle tune, okay but nothing great

5. A Lot To Learn - Really awesome AOR, stunning chorus & great keyboard touches. A big highlight

6. I Believe - Heavier number & the first filler. Very cliched. Skip.

7. Above And Beyond - Weak title song, rubbish guitar tone & cliched lyrics/chorus. Skip this too.

8. My Confession - Strong track just when it was needed. Nice AOR with a good chorus

9. Let Me Tell You - Good song that could've been great, but again too laid-back come chorus time

10. Surrender - Piss weak, plodding AOR number. The worst here. Skip.

11. Calling Your Name - More pretty average & overly laid-back AOR, like a tune off the average "Adult Orientation" disc

12. Never Gonna Give You Up - Another fairly lifeless track, kinda background music

13. I Need Someone - Finally! Stunning closer, huge hooky chorus. Love it.

Overall it's patchy, to say the least, but "I Don't Want You", "A Lot to Learn" & "I Need Someone" really rescue it from being a very dull disc IMO.