Eclipse

Dead Planet

Wowwowow! Love this band, didn't know they had a new disc out. Must hear this one asap. Thanks for the heads up.

• 1 month later...

So has anyone had the chance to spin this one? Finally got my ears around it and based on first spins I was going to say it might squeeze it's way into my top 5 MHR discs this year? I thought the title of this disc was a little too lame to have nothing behind it, but it does hint towards the fact that this is straight up hard rock, right down the line - nothing else. No ballads, nothing. Just hard rock.

If I were someone who uses homosexual taglines I'd say about this album, "now that's what I'm talking about!"

From the outset this is just great hard rock with good solid melodic and catchy choruses and great songs. The first half of the album is pure bliss and the standard keeps up right till the end. I have to admit, funnily enough, that the only thing I think the disc is missing is a ballad, or even just a nice sultry mid-tempo rocker. Just something to mix it up a tiny bit. I say that only because at the end a sceptic might say this ends up sounding a little samey.

Still, I loved it and it's next up in my CD player for a 2nd spin already so hopefully I'll have some new second spin thoughts. Killer disc from a killer band. For those counting, these guys are 3/3 now.

I really like their other albums (especially Second To None) so this this a must buy for me. MySpace songs sounds really good but i don't know if i will squeeze them in my top 5 since this year is so freakin good (i don't recall which year before 2008 was better, for sure 1992, but then i don't know hehe)...

I heard this today and it is indeed a killer.

Needs a few more spins though before I can deliver a true verdict, but its looking like a definite top 10.

Yeah, I always seem to stumble on one of these each year. Why is no one else listening to it????!!!!

Reminds me of Airless' '2nd Round' album a few years ago. Not that it sounds anything like it, but it was a monster album which everyone seemed to ignore for some reason... :(

I heard this today and it is indeed a killer.

Needs a few more spins though before I can deliver a true verdict, but its looking like a definite top 10.

Why is no one else listening to it????!!!!

Exactly my thoughts - why has no-one else commented on this album????

This thing smokes!

Im only on my 3rd listen but already Im thinking this might be my No 1 MHR album of 08.

One thing is for sure this pisses on the new Tesla from a great height!! :tumbsup:

This comes across like a mighty killer version of Marcello/Vestry. Man those riffs just kill me - check out Under the Gun or any of the last 3 tracks. Killer stuff.

At the moment out of the 11 tracks the only 'weak' (ie not excellent) track is 'Wylde One' where the lyrics just stray a little into 'cock rock' territory (but even this still rocks with a great solo).

Seriously guys have a listen, I cant believe this wont do the business for you?

:drink:

(PS Geoff - how you can have this below 7th Heaven is just beyond me - this crucifies that album).

I'm skipping this one for a couple of reasons:-

1. Anyone in 2008 who calls their album "Are you Ready to Rock?" is just plainly ridiculous/embarrassing

2. Their previous stuff didn't really do it for me....

1. Anyone in 2008 who calls their album "Are you Ready to Rock?" is just plainly ridiculous/embarrassing

Man that is one of most ridiculous things youve written here. Overlooking an album of this quality because of the title. Jesus, I wouldnt own half the cds I do if I went on that mentality :lol:

Just to help you along to the correct decision here's a review from Melrock.com.......Andrew gave it a whopping 96%............

"What the melodic rock world needs is more albums like these. Swedish rockers Eclipse features the punch with the melody and the power with the emotion.

This is one of the best sounding records of the year and it is packed with great songs.

This year has been so filled with wonderful releases; I haven't had time to review the crap out there. Thankfully there is a ton of great music to keep me otherwise occupied and Eclipse has just added to the pile.

I'm a fan of this band since day 1 and their two previous albums have been really enjoyable slices of European melodic hard rock. But this time they have nailed it. This to me is the album Europe could have made if they stayed a little truer to their original sound and only updated a little.

Eclipse has moved into a new era with this more contemporary sound, but they never once abandon the melodic base they created on the first two albums.

This is also heavier and more focused than ever before. And the sheer wall of sound that blows out of the speakers leaves many others for dead.

This is a classic European style melodic hard rock album with a monster sound and a old-school melodic edge thanks to vocalist Erik Martensson. His tone is so easy on the ears.

At the heart of the record are some great songs that barely contain the energy of the guys performing them.

Highlights on the album are numerous – there isn't a weak track here at all, but to name a few – The opening trio of Breaking my Heart Again, Hometown Calling and To Mend A Broken Heart are all among the finest songs of the genre this year and all contain great choruses.

The urgency of Hometown Calling and the melodic power of To Mend A Broken Heart will rank highly come the end of the year.

The power that is Under The Gun is mind blowing – the rhythm section and the hooky chorus are perfect.

The anthemic Unbreakable is the hit single Europe could have used on Start From The Dark. Perfection!

And just when you think it can't get any better Million Miles Away bursts through…another high powered melodic gem with a killer chorus.

The fast moving and riff filled Call Of The Wild is the last but not least tune and a great pick for blowing things over the top to close.

The Bottom Line

Eclipse are well and truly on the Best Of 2008 map with this release. Everything has come together perfectly and the songs are completely infectious. Credit to all involved – this is one of the highlights of 2008 and it encourage fans of powerful European melodic rock to check out ASAP!"

----------------------------------------------

Couldnt have said it better myself!

His comment on 'Under The Gun' is spot on.......killer song

Man that is one of most ridiculous things youve written here. Overlooking an album of this quality because of the title. Jesus, I wouldnt own half the cds I do if I went on that mentality :lol:

I was just messin' (though it is the worst album title in history). I'll check out the soundbytes given that everyone's raving about this, even though I was underwhelmed by their past stuff....

I was just messin' (though it is the worst album title in history). I'll check out the soundbytes given that everyone's raving about this, even though I was underwhelmed by their past stuff....

Sometimes yr tastes are difficult to judge (HEAT??), but if this doesnt blow you away Id be well surprised.

So having checked out the samples my first instinct was right. Aside from the utterly magnificent "Unbreakable", this is just kinda okay. Straight down the line Hard Rock, played very well but not really any better than the million other bands that do this stuff. Having said all that, "Unbreakable" is like a tune from Europe's "Prisoners In Paradise" album (how much does the singer sound like Joey Tempest on this one?) & I LOVE it.

I know everyone else will disagree with me here, & don't get me wrong - this isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination - just not one I'd want to pick up unless it was pretty cheap....

So having checked out the samples my first instinct was right. Aside from the utterly magnificent "Unbreakable", this is just kinda okay. Straight down the line Hard Rock, played very well but not really any better than the million other bands that do this stuff. Having said all that, "Unbreakable" is like a tune from Europe's "Prisoners In Paradise" album (how much does the singer sound like Joey Tempest on this one?) & I LOVE it.

I know everyone else will disagree with me here, & don't get me wrong - this isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination - just not one I'd want to pick up unless it was pretty cheap....

I really wonder where you checked out the samples?? Prob Melrock?

I still think you are making a big mistake writing this thing off. The last 7 songs on this just smoke. Solos all over the place. You mention 'Unbreakable' which is a good tune....but for me, 'Million Miles Away' (from about 2 mins that kicks my arse!), '2 Souls' and 'Call Of The Wild' (I reckon you heard up to about 1.30 on the sample - from 2 mins this kills - great solos) all muller that song.

Up to you mate...each to their own.

:banger:

This just made my Top 5! Great production, great songwriting, killer vocalist and very "Jake E Lee-esque" guitar work :beerbang:

http://www.melodicrock.com/showcase/eclips...eadytorock.html

Edit: After a few spins, I'm also hearing a pretty big Mr. Big influence in the guitar work as well as vocally :banger:

Excellent... good to see this reaching a few more ears. Yeah, haven't really been in tune with a lot of Andrew's reviews recently over and MR.com but I also agree with his thoughts on this.

And Glen, as for this being behind 7th Heaven please keep in mind that was only after the 3rd listen or so. I dare say this'll creep up. As I gave it my first spin I called it the best MHR album I've heard this year in my car, so we'll see if it does get there after a few spins. I just try not to jump the gun too quick. It does really kick my ass and I will give it a good loud workout tomorrow morning on the way to work.

So, to be fair, I borrowed a copy this weekend so I could give it a fair shot. Sorry but 96/100 is just ridiculous IMHO, this album is so patchy, but it does have 3 killer tunes to rescue it & - as long as you skip quite a few tunes - is a reasonable listen.

Breaking My Heart Again - Did I put on Whitesnake by mistake?.... Weak chorus, poor opener

Hometown Calling - Is it all this bad?....

To Mend a Broken Heart - Finally a good tune. Weak verses but a great chorus

Wylde One - Mediocre hard rock. Skip it

Under the Gun - Out of the blue, a stunning track. Killer chorus, great shredding. Awesome

Unbreakable - Album highlight. Like Europe (from "Prisoners..."), an ultra-catchy gem

Hard Time Loving You - More mediocre hard rock. Rubbish

Young Guns - Like a Bonfire b-side. The pre-chorus saves it from being a total loss

Million Miles Away - Another great chorus here, love it

2 Souls - Decent MHR tune, nothing amazing but not bad either

Call of the Wild - Like a tune from an early John Norum solo disc, a decent album closer

For what it's worth I'd give this 7/10.

So, to be fair, I borrowed a copy this weekend so I could give it a fair shot. Sorry but 96/100 is just ridiculous IMHO, this album is so patchy, but it does have 3 killer tunes to rescue it & - as long as you skip quite a few tunes - is a reasonable listen.

Breaking My Heart Again - Did I put on Whitesnake by mistake?.... Weak chorus, poor opener

Under the Gun - Out of the blue, a stunning track. Killer chorus, great shredding. Awesome

Unbreakable - Album highlight. Like Europe (from "Prisoners..."), an ultra-catchy gem

Young Guns - Like a Bonfire b-side. The pre-chorus saves it from being a total loss

Call of the Wild - Like a tune from an early John Norum solo disc, a decent album closer

my thoughts exactly & the singer from Eclipse just filled in for the singer in HEAT at the Firefest gig whic was pretty cool to see :beerbang:

my thoughts exactly & the singer from Eclipse just filled in for the singer in HEAT at the Firefest gig whic was pretty cool to see :beerbang:

He rocked man...total respect.

DAMN YOU TIM!!!

I listened to it again this morning and I have to admit Tim's voice in the back of my head did affect my listening pleasure. I still love the disc, but in reply to yesterday's post, this won't be knocking 7th Heaven out of it's place.

I love 'To Mend a Broken Heart', 'Unbreakable' and 'Million miles away'. Next in queue are some great song like 'Wylde One' (sue me, I love it), 'Under the gun' and 'Young guns'. I do like the rest a lot and I still say it's a great disc, but it may drop back a few spots... but will definitely be in my top 10.

I should also clarify that I agree with Andrew's written review, but even at the peak of my love for this disc I'd have to agree that it'd be nowhere near a 96% for me. Disciple's new disc crucifies this and I'd give that about 90% :)

I love 'To Mend a Broken Heart', 'Unbreakable' and 'Million miles away'. Next in queue are some great song like 'Wylde One' (sue me, I love it), 'Under the gun' and 'Young guns'. I do like the rest a lot and I still say it's a great disc, but it may drop back a few spots... but will definitely be in my top 10.

Backed.

I'd add 2 Souls to my 'love' list as well.....great song (slightly reminiscent of say JSS in the chorus?)

This will no doubt slip back for me too, but will be top 10.....I think??

Backed.

I'd add 2 Souls to my 'love' list as well.....great song (slightly reminiscent of say JSS in the chorus?)

This will no doubt slip back for me too, but will be top 10.....I think??

This one won't be in my top 10 but it is a very good release and there's not one track that I dislike.