Eclipse

Dead Planet

DAMN YOU TIM!!!

I listened to it again this morning and I have to admit Tim's voice in the back of my head did affect my listening pleasure. I still love the disc, but in reply to yesterday's post, this won't be knocking 7th Heaven out of it's place.

I love 'To Mend a Broken Heart', 'Unbreakable' and 'Million miles away'. Next in queue are some great song like 'Wylde One' (sue me, I love it), 'Under the gun' and 'Young guns'. I do like the rest a lot and I still say it's a great disc, but it may drop back a few spots... but will definitely be in my top 10.

I should also clarify that I agree with Andrew's written review, but even at the peak of my love for this disc I'd have to agree that it'd be nowhere near a 96% for me. Disciple's new disc crucifies this and I'd give that about 90% :)

You know, if every song was as good as "Unbreakable", "Under the Gun" and "Million Miles Away" then I'd be the first to jump all over this. But my sense is that they can't decide whether they want to be Whitesnake or a more melodic band ("Unbreakable" is pure AOR), & have made an album that's somewhere between the two. Which is why, even on the most melodic tunes like "Million Miles Away", you get pretty average heavier verses. Every song on Europe's "Prisoners..." was as good as "Unbreakable", so if this album was a 96/100 then what would that album get? 130/100? :lol:

DAMN YOU TIM!!!

I listened to it again this morning and I have to admit Tim's voice in the back of my head did affect my listening pleasure. I still love the disc, but in reply to yesterday's post, this won't be knocking 7th Heaven out of it's place.

I love 'To Mend a Broken Heart', 'Unbreakable' and 'Million miles away'. Next in queue are some great song like 'Wylde One' (sue me, I love it), 'Under the gun' and 'Young guns'. I do like the rest a lot and I still say it's a great disc, but it may drop back a few spots... but will definitely be in my top 10.

I should also clarify that I agree with Andrew's written review, but even at the peak of my love for this disc I'd have to agree that it'd be nowhere near a 96% for me. Disciple's new disc crucifies this and I'd give that about 90% :)

You know, if every song was as good as "Unbreakable", "Under the Gun" and "Million Miles Away" then I'd be the first to jump all over this. But my sense is that they can't decide whether they want to be Whitesnake or a more melodic band ("Unbreakable" is pure AOR), & have made an album that's somewhere between the two. Which is why, even on the most melodic tunes like "Million Miles Away", you get pretty average heavier verses. Every song on Europe's "Prisoners..." was as good as "Unbreakable", so if this album was a 96/100 then what would that album get? 130/100? :lol:

To be honest mate as much as I respect Andrew's opinion over at Melrock, I think his rating has been well off for sometime now. Too many albums get 90% and over in his reviews (great/informative reviews but too many high high scores).

For me, only 3 albums this year would score 85-90% (possibly not over) and that is Journey, WOA and SOTY.

Some albums in my top 10 would only be lower 80s - no disrespect to those albums but you have to compare them to the classics as you rightly state.

And another thing - no album should ever be rated as 100% - nothing is perfect. My fav album of all time 'Escape' would rate at about 94-95%.

Cheers

DAMN YOU TIM!!!

To be honest mate as much as I respect Andrew's opinion over at Melrock, I think his rating has been well off for sometime now. Too many albums get 90% and over in his reviews (great/informative reviews but too many high high scores).

For me, only 3 albums this year would score 85-90% (possibly not over) and that is Journey, WOA and SOTY.

Some albums in my top 10 would only be lower 80s - no disrespect to those albums but you have to compare them to the classics as you rightly state.

And another thing - no album should ever be rated as 100% - nothing is perfect. My fav album of all time 'Escape' would rate at about 94-95%.

Cheers

Yeah I agree. If you're gonna rate everything so highly then there's no point having a 0-100 scale either, just have a 0-5 (using half-points if you need to). I love his reviews because they're so descriptive of the albums, even if you don't agree with his opinion you know whether you're going to like something or not. Unlike stupid mags like Powerplay/Rock Sound where you get a rating & then 2 sentences saying who shit/great something is. Not helpful.

DAMN YOU TIM!!!

Cheers

I love his reviews because they're so descriptive of the albums, even if you don't agree with his opinion you know whether you're going to like something or not.

Backed.

I almost always disagree with his best song choice tho.................?!

I met him at Firefest this year - top bloke.

Cheers

DAMN YOU TIM!!!

Cheers

I love his reviews because they're so descriptive of the albums, even if you don't agree with his opinion you know whether you're going to like something or not.

Backed.

Cheers

lol...... two guys who happen to come all the way from Australia somehow didnt end up meeting each other.. yes I didnt meet him.

I'm goiung to have to increase my rating on eclispe to an 8.5 outta 10. the cd's getting better, I was a tad harsh with my agreement of Tim's review.

DAMN YOU TIM!!!

Cheers

Backed.

Cheers

lol...... two guys who happen to come all the way from Australia somehow didnt end up meeting each other.. yes I didnt meet him.

I'm goiung to have to increase my rating on eclispe to an 8.5 outta 10. the cd's getting better, I was a tad harsh with my agreement of Tim's review.

Yep, I love it....great album.

so you were the guy who kept shouting out when they said anyone from Oz! If there's a FF6 we'll have to meet. Cheers mate.

DAMN YOU TIM!!!

Cheers

Backed.

Cheers

Yep, I love it....great album.

so you were the guy who kept shouting out when they said anyone from Oz! If there's a FF6 we'll have to meet. Cheers mate.

no, there were another 8 who made their way up, this was the biggest Australian contingency attending a firefest event. Here's to Firefest VI if Kieran & the Fireworks crew are tempted :drink:

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got this one and I'm loving it. Probably my 2nd fav disc of the year. Whilst some of the songs are a bit standard, been done before type of thing, there's not a single track I feel inclined to skip. And there are plenty of killers! I've only given it a few spins so far but this is how I'd rate the tracks in order best to worst:

a million miles away

to mend a broken heart

unbreakable

wylde one

under the gun

young guns

2 souls

call of the wild

breaking my heart again

hometown calling

hard time loving you

Finally got this one and I'm loving it. Probably my 2nd fav disc of the year. Whilst some of the songs are a bit standard, been done before type of thing, there's not a single track I feel inclined to skip. And there are plenty of killers! I've only given it a few spins so far but this is how I'd rate the tracks in order best to worst:

a million miles away

to mend a broken heart

unbreakable

wylde one

under the gun

young guns

2 souls

call of the wild

breaking my heart again

hometown calling

hard time loving you

Actually, I have to move 'call of the wild' up much higher - that's one great song!

• 1 month later...

love it!!!! in my top 5 of the year catchu middle of the road rock, not really aor, a bt heavier!!!! get it!!!!

• 1 month later...

Just picked this one up. I hear alot of Mr. Big - "Addicted To That Rush" in the guitar and progression of Hometown Calling. In all a very good release and the guitar work shreds.