Decline Of The Western Civilization II

aMetalhead1966

hard to believe its never gotten an official dvd release.

DECLINE II is the Great White Whale of DVD releases. Apparently Penelope Spheeris has been trying to secure a DVD release for years but it's been tied up by endless hassles with music licensing/publishing rights and clearances. All the deals she made with the bands that appeared in the movie (and their record labels) to use their songs in the film obviously expired a loooooong time ago.

I still have a near-mint VHS copy but if and when it turns up on IFC again I'm gonna make sure to program my DVD recorder and catch it, cuz I am tired of holding my breath waiting for an official DVD!!

DECLINE II is the Great White Whale of DVD releases. Apparently Penelope Spheeris has been trying to secure a DVD release for years but it's been tied up by endless hassles with music licensing/publishing rights and clearances. All the deals she made with the bands that appeared in the movie (and their record labels) to use their songs in the film obviously expired a loooooong time ago.

I still have a near-mint VHS copy but if and when it turns up on IFC again I'm gonna make sure to program my DVD recorder and catch it, cuz I am tired of holding my breath waiting for an official DVD!!

That's exactly what I did, I TiVo'd it from IFC.

That's exactly what I did, I TiVo'd it from IFC.

Unfortunately for me, whenever it has run on IFC, I always seem to find out about it AFTER the fact. :(

I have seen endless DVD boots for this, but they have all been substandard at best.

Just like Keith I too have a vhs copy that I watch regularly.

"Randy why do you wear pants with no butt in 'em?"

"It ventilates my scrotum."

My "Decline" VHS was one of my best scrounging scores ever... found it (still sealed!) in a bin of clearance videos at a CD store about ten years ago, for $2.98!! I was like "Ho-lee SH*T!" :banana: Got Armored Saint's A TRIP THRU RED TIMES VHS at the same time, for the same price. :P

My "Decline" VHS was one of my best scrounging scores ever... found it (still sealed!) in a bin of clearance videos at a CD store about ten years ago, for $2.98!! I was like "Ho-lee SH*T!" :banana: Got Armored Saint's A TRIP THRU RED TIMES VHS at the same time, for the same price. :P

Man that was a good day for you.... :banger:

Man that was a good day for you.... :banger:

I didn't realize how good a deal it was until years later when I found out how much original "Decline II" VHS's go for on eBay :banana: ... but I'll never part with mine!!

Yup. Bootleg DVDs are all over eBay. It has NEVER officially been released on DVD. I love this bit of explanation in his auction copy though:

Although generally thought not to be released on DVD, I've found a number of these over the years on my travels; New Line Cinema licenses many obscure indie movies for distribution in Thailand only. This DVD was issued by Thai distributor Right Beyond 5 years ago

Oh yea, SURE. Awful nice of New Line (which is now part of the Time Warner conglomerate mind you) to go to all the trouble of distributing a title like that JUST for the good people of Thailand. RIIIIIIIGHT. :whistle:

Great price! I'll do you one better...free!

That's right. None other then guitar guru of the west coast James Paulson (NAS fame) offered it up to me a few years back, cause thats how we roll! (Of course unbeknownst to me I think I may have traded my Hamer Phantom III for it. :crying: )

Of note: I recall many years ago seeing a different covered release of this which if memory serves was a band shot and I want to say London on the cover. Not the Mustaine cover we are all quite familiar with. Any one else remember this?

Of note: I recall many years ago seeing a different covered release of this which if memory serves was a band shot and I want to say London on the cover. Not the Mustaine cover we are all quite familiar with. Any one else remember this?

That's the cover I have, and it is indeed London on the front. (The small pix on the box sides are Dave Ellefson of Megadeth I believe)

Front:

Declinefront.jpg

Back:

Declineback.jpg

As you can see, my tape came in a standard cardboard box... the copies with the Mustaine cover, if memory serves, were the original home video release (1989?), which came in an old school plastic "clam shell" video box.

The copyright info on the back of my tape sez the artwork and design is copyright 1991 by RCA/Columbia home video.

Might this version of the box cover be rarer than the Mustaine cover?? It's the only one I've ever seen.

Great question and mine as well.

I have the Mustaine covered version, but it is not a burly clam shell case it is a lil' ole cardboard # like yours. I will have to check up on the release dates and such when I get home.

One angle which may makes sense with my former rental copy is...maybe the Mustaine cover is the rental store version and the London cover is the later for sale version? I do recall seeing the London covered version at the local Tower Records back in the day...

Anyone know anything?

Here are some copies for sale on Amazon.

Price + Shipping Condition Seller Information Ready to buy?

$34.67

+ $2.98shipping

LOW ITEM PRICE

Used - Good Seller: showstoppervideos

Rating:93% positive over the past 12 months (90 ratings.) 90 lifetime ratings.

Shipping: In Stock. Ships from IL, United States See shipping rates

Comments: Ex rental in nice condition. Does have rental catalog sticker on front cover and sides of tape. Original uncut artwork shows some wear around corners. Guaranteed to play or your money back! Priced low to sell fast! Rare and out of print comes shipped in bubble mailer envelope. ( « less )

Comments: Ex rental in nice condition. Does have rental catalog sticker on front cover and sides of tape. Original uncut artwork shows ... ( » more )

or

Sign in to turn on 1-Click ordering.

$60.00

+ $2.98shipping Collectible - Good Seller: wintwins

Rating:97% positive over the past 12 months (258 ratings.) 1671 lifetime ratings.

Shipping: In Stock. Ships from MN, United States Expedited shipping available International shipping available See shipping rates

Comments: Tape plays great. A former rental in its original box. The box has just a little wear.

or

$77.00

+ $2.98shipping Used - Very Good Seller: ccs29

Rating:96% positive over the past 12 months (70 ratings.) 221 lifetime ratings.

Shipping: In Stock. Ships from OR, United States Expedited shipping available International shipping available See shipping rates

Comments: Exact same UPC and title as listed. Stars Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, Alice Cooper, Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley, Lemmy, Ozzy Osbourne, Bret Michaels, C.C. Deville, Dave Mustaine, Riki Rachtman, Chris Holmes, Bill Gazzarri, Lisa Axelrod, Debra K Beatty, Tawn Mastrey, Teri Weigel, and more. Directed by Penelope Spheeris. 90 minutes. Original box is in very good condition. Original cassette is in very good condition and in good to very good viewing condition. From RCA Columbia Pictures Home Video. This is not a re-release, import, screener, bootleg, or copy. ( « less )

Comments: Exact same UPC and title as listed. Stars Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, Alice Cooper, Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley, Lemmy, Ozzy Osbo... ( » more )

or

$89.95

+ $2.98shipping Used - Like New Seller: soundbooks53

Rating:95% positive over the past 12 months (694 ratings.) 2805 lifetime ratings.

Shipping: In Stock. Ships from WA, United States Expedited shipping available International shipping available See shipping rates

Comments: 5-31-08 Like new one owner well cared for we ship daily get it faster well packaged with FREE SHIPPING confirmation

or

$89.99

+ $2.98shipping Used - Good Seller: jlsteuer

Rating:98% positive over the past 12 months (848 ratings.) 3808 lifetime ratings.

Shipping: In Stock. Ships from AZ, United States Expedited shipping available International shipping available See shipping rates

Comments: RARE.....Hard to Find ....Tape and Cover are in Good Condition.........NOT A RENTAL......Film by Penelope Spheeris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

To be honest with you, these Thailand imports, if they are bootlegs, they are bloody good ones.

I bought one a few years ago, and its an amazing copy.

The case has all sorts of holograms on it, and the disc is actually region coded (very unusual for a bootleg to not be region 0) and they even have various audio language tracks.

If its is a boot, these guys have gone to a whole lotta trouble!

this is the label that released it

http://rightbeyond.com/