Melodic Metal

metaltrekman

So many kinds of Metal. :headbanger: What does Melodic really/actually mean? And what bands do fall into the Melodic catagory? Is there really that much difference between Heavy, Melodic, Epic, and Power Metal? When you talk Metal do you ever think Melodic?

Do you have favorite Melodic Metal Bands? :headbanger:

Depends on which metal head you talk to, I guess. :)

Back in the day the first time I heard the term "melodic metal" was in the late 80s and it was used to describe the old guard guys like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc. in order to differentiate them from the thrash metal bands that were ruling the scene at the time.

Nowadays it seems to be used more to describe a lotta the progressive/power metal bands from Europe, i.e. Rhapsody (Of Fire), Blind Guardian, etc.

It gets even more confused when you see a band in a catalog or on a web site with some ridiculous multiple description like "True classical epic progressive melodic symphonic power/speed metal with a touch of dijon mustard." :)

To me, it means a band that has an actual SINGER instead of a growler.

But then, I finally got sick of trying to pigeonhole every new band I heard into some sub-genre or other anyway (are they thrash? Are they glam? Are they power metal? Are they "true metal?" Are they "old school?" yadda yadda yadda)... nowadays all I worry about is "are they good or do they suck?" :)

Good analysis Freddy........I always thought of melodic metal to include bands that played a metal sound that fell somewhere between Melodic Rock and Metal.....having the addition of 'melody' and most have the addition of "keyboards". Some examples would be Brother Firetribe, Prayer, Myon and Terra Nova.

What you were describing early on as the old guard 80's metal bands are usually referred to as New Wave Of British Heavy Metal (NWOBHM) that includes Saxon, Trespass, Tygers Of Pan Tang and Praying Mantis for example. Heavy Metal in my book is the type of straight ahead metal style founded by these same bands.

Thrash is the type of metal somewhat invented by the likes of Megadeth and Metallica. Heavy, mid to fast paced songs, tons of distorted guitars and mostly 'angry' and roaring vocals.

Symphonic metal blends Melodic Metal with a huge symphonic production similiar to Nightwish and Visions of Atlantis.

Power Metal puts the metal emphasis on double drum beats, driving rythyms and searing guitar work and includes bands like Helloween, Stratovarius and even Rhapsody and Sonata Arctica.

Then, prog-metal signifies bands that mix the old progressive rock with the modern side of metal such as Dream Theater and Queensryche. Mostly with long epical songs and with a multitude of tempo changes.

Again....just like anything else, it depends upon who you ask and what their slant is on music.......

The only "genres" I would classify a band into are Death/Black Metal and Prog Metal. Everything is metal and is either bad or good depending on tastes.

Depends on which metal head you talk to, I guess. :)

Back in the day the first time I heard the term "melodic metal" was in the late 80s and it was used to describe the old guard guys like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc. in order to differentiate them from the thrash metal bands that were ruling the scene at the time.

Nowadays it seems to be used more to describe a lotta the progressive/power metal bands from Europe, i.e. Rhapsody (Of Fire), Blind Guardian, etc.

It gets even more confused when you see a band in a catalog or on a web site with some ridiculous multiple description like "True classical epic progressive melodic symphonic power/speed metal with a touch of dijon mustard." :)

To me, it means a band that has an actual SINGER instead of a growler.

But then, I finally got sick of trying to pigeonhole every new band I heard into some sub-genre or other anyway (are they thrash? Are they glam? Are they power metal? Are they "true metal?" Are they "old school?" yadda yadda yadda)... nowadays all I worry about is "are they good or do they suck?" :)

I am just recently getting back on the scene of metal and have found myself doing that a lot lately are they this or that? I have come to the same conclusion either they are good or their not, either I like them or I don't that simple. Though I prefer the growling type metal but its hard to know what bands produce this sort of sound...........

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...