Just Surrender

Geoff

Another band that has been deserving of a thread for a while, imo, is the thus far almost immaculate Just Surrender. I was raving about their debut ‘If these streets could talk’ back in 2005, with one of the best songs I’d heard in ages – ‘Our work of art’. IMO that album is just perfect modern rock, so I was wildly anticipating this year’s new release, ‘We’re in like sin’. Upon first listen I knew it was another gem, but as time has gone on I’m thinking this may even be better than the immaculate debut.

‘We’re in like sin’ features 11 tracks, with the band’s first filler – the horrible title track. But aside from that the album is just a blissful slab of flawless modern melodic rock. Even more commercial than the debut, with tracks like ‘Said it before’, ‘Your life and mine’, ‘Something that I’m not’ and ‘I’ll be here’ all perfect for radio play.

With Cauterize’s self-dismissal from the scene, and SR-71’s extended departure, I’ve been wondering who will lead the scene before the new project from Cauterize’s ex-members, or Mitch Allan’s debut arrives. Just Surrender, are right up there, imo, with Change of Pace and Hedley as the most likely to take the throne. With Yellowcard now being very valid contenders if they can produce another album like ‘Paper walls’.

'I can barely breath' (from the debut):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKKiluN8CFQ

'Our work of art' (from debut - not sur eif this video works):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty4aTf-ufWQ

Myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/justsurrenderrock

Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/If-These-Streets-Cou...k/dp/B0009VI4IA

http://www.amazon.com/Were-Like-Sin-Just-S...9795747-9593763

I have the debut of this & had pre-ordered the new CD (which I've been waiting since August for), but hopefully this should be on it's way soon. I haven't had time to check out the new tracks but I was pretty confident they'd deliver. This band have HUGE choruses....

I have the debut of this & had pre-ordered the new CD (which I've been waiting since August for), but hopefully this should be on it's way soon. I haven't had time to check out the new tracks but I was pretty confident they'd deliver. This band have HUGE choruses....

Although I'm saddened to see only one other fan here, I am glad at least you're interested, Tim. :) This new album is even more diverse than the debut and as I said, more commercial... I think you'll love it. Man do they deliver with the choruses again!

Where did you pre-order from? I got mine from some ebay store which I believe was direclty linked to the band or something? They had a heap of sealed copies to sell at 'Buy it now' prices. Mine took a while to arrive too, but not 3 months. Although my pre-order for Cauterize's newie did.

Hold it hold it, I'm gonna have to add myself as a newly converted fan on this thread. Out of curiosity I picked their new cd up a couple of days ago, and yes, it was indeed music to my ears. Hardly a filler track on there. Just pop it in and enjoy. Good call.

Hold it hold it, I'm gonna have to add myself as a newly converted fan on this thread. Out of curiosity I picked their new cd up a couple of days ago, and yes, it was indeed music to my ears. Hardly a filler track on there. Just pop it in and enjoy. Good call.

What a wonderful addition to these boards you are!!!

I'm not a fan of the title track - in fact, I actually hate it... but the rest of the songs are all amazing imo.

What a wonderful addition to these boards you are!!!

I'm not a fan of the title track - in fact, I actually hate it... but the rest of the songs are all amazing imo.

yeah, the title track is pretty lame. But "New Generation" and "Something That I'm not" really stand out on this album.

I just don't see it with this one, man. Nothing is catching me

Not even the delicious hooks of 'So close/So alive', 'Said it before', 'Your life and mine' or 'Something that I'm not'? Or the kick-ass rock n'roll of 'New declaration' or 'You'd be in great shape...'? :(

I have to admit, even for me, this one took a couple of spins to really sink in, but once it did... wowser.

its too modern for me, reminds me of My Chemical Romance and Blink 182 and that sorta thing.

NO YOU DI'NT!!!

Sorry mate, can't hear a trace of either of those bands in Just Surrender. Blink 182 are a sloppy punk band and MCR are, well, MCR. Admittedly they do have some (very few - about 5) great songs (very different to Just Surrender) but they're a whole different style. This is just good classy modern melodic rock. :)

just seems too "Kerrang" to me.

would All-American Rejects be a better comparison?

or Kings of Leon?

Not sure who Kings of Leon are, to be honest... All-American Rejects, though, I guess is a pretty valid comparison. :)

I thought Kerrang was more into, well, whatever it is they feature... but not this stuff, I thought?

nah, the reason i dont watch or buy Kerrang anymore is cause its all that sorta thing.

Fall Out Boy, All-American Rejects, S.O.A.D

its only whats "in" with the teenage girls at the time.

i just cant get into that modern rock stuff for some reason.

nah, the reason i dont watch or buy Kerrang anymore is cause its all that sorta thing.

Fall Out Boy, All-American Rejects, S.O.A.D

its only whats "in" with the teenage girls at the time.

i just cant get into that modern rock stuff for some reason.

I'll agree that this album is by no means a masterpiece. But, I do think there are some pretty catchy songs on here. Faber Drive, the new Change Of Pace, and Pete Lesperance's solo album are much better representations of this genre. But, I will give credit where credit is due. Just Surrender is a lot better that Blink 182, Good Charlotte, and that sort of crap. I used to hate the term "modern band" as well, but have since opened up my horizons and discovered lots of cool new bands who in some instances can do much bigger choruses than even the 80's bands did in their heyday. While I prefer my music a little harder and rawer myself, I can still appreciate some good nu-breed every now and then as long as its done well.

• 2 weeks later...
I got 'We’re In Like Sin' today. Great catchy modern rock album. Quite melodic at times too. Better than their previous release.

I loved it after the first spin and it just seems to get better with each listen (and there have been plenty).

• 6 months later...

"As of March 7th, 2008, original guitarist, Andrew Meunier returned to the band. The band sent in a statement to AbsolutePunk.net that reads: "Just Surrender fans may have noticed on recent tours that original guitarist Andy Meunier has returned to the band. Alex Haycraft (formerly of Park) has moved over to bass. With the recent addition and just having returned from the UK they will start writing after their upcoming headline dates for an EP that will be released the first week of June. The release will be all digital—available exclusively on Itunes."

What is this nonsense? What's the go with Itunes? Sorry, I'm not too knowledgable with the whole Itunes scene, but does this mean these songs on the EP won't be available to anyone who doesn't have Itunes?

Yes.

You'll have to burn it off someone with itunes.

If its available on the UK store I dont mind doing it for you - PM me nearer the release time.

Cheers

Yes.

You'll have to burn it off someone with itunes.

If its available on the UK store I dont mind doing it for you - PM me nearer the release time.

Cheers

Thanks mate, I might have to do that. :)

inlikesin.jpg

The cover art caught my attention. I saw this used recently for $7, maybe I'll check it out.

Yeah, she's a sexy little thing. It's a great CD... I really recommend it strongly. Especially for that price; can't go wrong.

• 2 months later...

The new EP 'Stronger now' is out today... on f*cking I-f*cking-Tunes:

http://www.myspace.com/justsurrenderrock

Check out the attack on Sydney Harbour Bridge for the cover of the album!!! :lol: Wonder what that's all about?

So, uh, someone with Itunes want to download it and pass it on to me? HAHA! The new song, 'Crazy', sound awesome (of course).

• 2 weeks later...

So, any of you Itunes junkies check this one out yet? (and if so why don't I have the songs yet? :lol: ... but I'm not kidding).