Just Surrender

Geoff

Just read up on these guys and I can see no signs of a new disc, even though they're playing shows and look to be active. Looks like they're still riding that "EP" (2 new songs, 2 remixes of old songs). I finally found a place to hear these two songs, so I'll download them tonight and smile.

• 11 months later...

Well guys, in a desolate year for modern rock, it seems there's a couple to look forward to from Hinder and Disciple, but now a third one emerges. The new Just Surrender CD, 'Phoenix' is due for release on May 11. If you're interested, go to your local vendor and pre-order this for chump's change. I had a look around yesterday at the usual suspects and this is really cheap from Amazon, Play.com and the normal overseas vendor. I think most those guys had free shipping and the Cd was around us$7.99, but for other overseas guys I saw Tower Records had it for us$7.99 with us$4.99 postage. Which is where I was going to get it until I saw this, for Aussie members:

http://www.play4me.com.au/product/phoenix_7509414_652845.html

Plug in code MCDONALDS10OFF at checkout and the new Just Surrender CD is yours for about au$11.00!!!

Anyway, I'm pretty excited about the CD... hoping for good things.

Well guys, in a desolate year for modern rock, it seems there's a couple to look forward to from Hinder and Disciple, but now a third one emerges. The new Just Surrender CD, 'Phoenix' is due for release on May 11. If you're interested, go to your local vendor and pre-order this for chump's change. I had a look around yesterday at the usual suspects and this is really cheap from Amazon, Play.com and the normal overseas vendor. I think most those guys had free shipping and the Cd was around us$7.99, but for other overseas guys I saw Tower Records had it for us$7.99 with us$4.99 postage. Which is where I was going to get it until I saw this, for Aussie members:

Plug in code MCDONALDS10OFF at checkout and the new Just Surrender CD is yours for about au$11.00!!!

What a bargain. Thanks for the info. I do like this band.

What a bargain. Thanks for the info. I do like this band.

Yep, I sure as hell didn't need to think twice about ordering. Haven't heard any samples and for that price I don't need to. :) I'll let it suprise me when it turns up. I have heard it is darker than the last album, and if I recall correctly Glen did post a link to a song that sounded a lot more like 'If these streets could talk' rather than the last one. Either way, love both discs so far. :)

• 1 month later...

SON OF WHORE! I finally got around to asking Play4me where my CD was at (a month and a bit after the order) and they tell me the CD has been deleted (wtf, it hasn't been released yet) and they've issued a refund. Now, let's see if I can find it elsewhere, I guess. :(

Looks like release date has been pushed back to August 17th. Maybe I'll try Play4me.com again closer to the date...

Yeah Geoff I got 2 e-mails from play4me this week, the latest stating:

"We are currently waiting on stock to arrive from our suppliers. We do hope to despatch this title ASAP. Once this title has been despatched we will confirm via email. This will not delay any additional items you may have in this order.

We will notify you immediately with any further updates with regards to this item and apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused."

At least they communicate with their customers when there are delays, that I appreciate.

Yeah Geoff I got 2 e-mails from play4me this week, the latest stating:

"We are currently waiting on stock to arrive from our suppliers. We do hope to despatch this title ASAP. Once this title has been despatched we will confirm via email. This will not delay any additional items you may have in this order.

We will notify you immediately with any further updates with regards to this item and apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused."

At least they communicate with their customers when there are delays, that I appreciate.

So your order still stands? Yeah, I'm going to have to double check with them to see if I can still keep my pre-order rather than get the refund. I bought it at a hell-cheap price and would prefer to keep that pre-order - I don't mind the delay at all, as long as it comes in the end.

Track list for 'Phoenix' is:

1. Intro

2. Through the Night

3. Take Me Home

4. Crazy

5. On My Own

6. Burning Up

7. Stronger Now

8. Lose Control

9. Better To Leave

10. Carried Away

11. Jukebox Memoirs

12. Burning Up [Acoustic]

Well, the release date got pushed back, my pre-order got cancelled, but somehow a leaked copy still hits the net. Ugly world. I'm still going to buy it (obviously) when/if it is released, but I couldn't resist hearing this, as it's one of my most anticipated discs of the year.

Initial thoughts are a bit of disappointment with their "laziness" if you want to call it that. it's been a while since their last CD, but of the 12 new tracks there is a pointless intro, an acoustic version of an album track and 2 songs from the 'Stronger Now' EP. A bit lazy, as that leaves only 8 new songs... but as long as they're good, I'm happy. And they are.

Like so many discs this year, not a hint of a filler and every song is good/very good. And thankfully this has a few real standouts too. 'On my own', 'Burning up' and the closer, 'Jukebox Memoirs' are all sensational, and are all in my top 10 modern rock songs of the year. Overall, sound is heavier than last time, production is flawless. A few subdued hooks at the start of the disc, but overall a really solid disc.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone else heard this one yet? I thought these guys had a few fans here? I'm actually really digging the new CD. It's so hard to name a contender for best modern rock CD of the year, because they're all in the same category this year. So many good, solid albums without a filler... but just lacking that overall brilliance.

For me, this is arguably the album that get's closest. Like most of them, nothing you'd call a filler here at all. But the thing that's giving this the edge for me is pretty much 'Burning up' and 'On my own' alone, which are two of the finest melodic rock songs of the year. But as well as that you have the superb 'Jukebox Memoirs.' Three brilliant tracks that might... just might have this out in front for me this year.

Burning Up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GkqaK2TizM

On My Own (Official Video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLs9DGJucf8

'Jukebox Memoirs':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2ZCMJ6b3mA&feature=related