Work Of Art - Update

Jez

Bientot Chris, Bientot.

Can't wait for this after the Killer 3 track Demo

Work Of Art guitarist Robert Sall posted the following message on the band's Myspace site (www.myspace.com/musicofworkofart): "So finally, our debut album is DONE! We been working very hard this past 5 months writing, recording and mixing our album and we are very pleased with the result! For all of you who has been digging our demo, you know what you're in for! In other words, more classic sounding AOR/Westcoast! We don't know the exact release date yet but we'll announce it as soon as we get the word from FRONTIERS!

For us as a band, these past couple of months has been quite an experience. In february we still considered WOA just a "side project" having only a 3 song demo and here we are now 6 months later, signed to our favourite record label with a completed debut album soon to be released! We're totally excited about this since this is not what we'd expected (or dared to dream about) when we first release our demo. Quite honestly, we didn't know what to expect at all!

I want to take the opportunity to thank ALL OF YOU who have been giving us so much positive feedback, THANK YOU!!"

Samples of the new album will be posted regularly on the band's myspace site from next week onwards. Details on the release date will be made official soon!

Aaaaaahhhh, finally ! GREAT ! :banana::bananamac:

• 4 weeks later...
New sample up today; "Lost Without You" :drink:

Excellent ! Thanks !

• 3 weeks later...

We're gonna have to wait a little longer for this one, although a firm release date has now been set of February 25th '08. 3 tracks avaliable over at melrock.com (the same 3 as on the Demo). :drink:

Frontiers seem to be stalling the whole process. According to one of the band members the tapes have been handed over to Frontiers months ago.

What is taking them so long ? :unsure:

Frontiers seem to be stalling the whole process. According to one of the band members the tapes have been handed over to Frontiers months ago.

What is taking them so long ? :unsure:

Probably thinning the production... :whistle:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay Jez, you have me interested and I want to be proved a fool as I'm a sucker for it.

I got the 'Artwork' album and I'm up to track 10, which appears to be the first hiccup so far. Most of this seems excellent. I've seen your reviews saying this is pretty much Toto to a tee.

Now, as you and I know I am no fan, or expert on Toto. I have heard thoroughly and once owned 'Kingdom of desire', 'Mindfields' and 'Falling in between'. I thought all three albums were absolutely dreadful and to be honest can't pick up a Work of Art link at all. I also had a brief stint with a copy of 'Toto IV' in tape format, which I also hated. I have heard bits and pieces and singles inbetween, but aside from 'Hold the line' nothing every did anything for me.

Now, I look through the discography and know I've heard their later releases, so by missing their earlier work, am I missing a different sound / song direction for the band? I notice 'Isolation' (1984), 'Fahrenheit' (1986) and 'The Seventh One' (1988) are all in my pocket era of listening. Now, in all honesty, if I get these - as a big fan of Work of Art, Blanc Faces, Outside Edge, Ransom and similar AOR bands, do you think this is something that will appeal to me?

All I know from Toto is those super frustrating stop-start style choruses which kill all momentum and don't flow even remotely... which is the exact opposite of what I like and what I heard on Work of Art. The first track had a beautiful melodic chorus which flowed like a river, reminding me a lot of Stage Dolls to be honest... and they seemed to keep it up through the album. I haven't really heard anything so far that's made me think of those Toto albums I know. So do I just not have the right ones?

Anyway, I don't want to miss out on good music and have written Toto off... but do you think there is a glimmer of hope that I may like those 3 mid/late 80's CDs?

Okay Jez, you have me interested and I want to be proved a fool as I'm a sucker for it.

I got the 'Artwork' album and I'm up to track 10, which appears to be the first hiccup so far. Most of this seems excellent. I've seen your reviews saying this is pretty much Toto to a tee.

Now, as you and I know I am no fan, or expert on Toto. I have heard thoroughly and once owned 'Kingdom of desire', 'Mindfields' and 'Falling in between'. I thought all three albums were absolutely dreadful and to be honest can't pick up a Work of Art link at all. I also had a brief stint with a copy of 'Toto IV' in tape format, which I also hated. I have heard bits and pieces and singles inbetween, but aside from 'Hold the line' nothing every did anything for me.

Now, I look through the discography and know I've heard their later releases, so by missing their earlier work, am I missing a different sound / song direction for the band? I notice 'Isolation' (1984), 'Fahrenheit' (1986) and 'The Seventh One' (1988) are all in my pocket era of listening. Now, in all honesty, if I get these - as a big fan of Work of Art, Blanc Faces, Outside Edge, Ransom and similar AOR bands, do you think this is something that will appeal to me?

All I know from Toto is those super frustrating stop-start style choruses which kill all momentum and don't flow even remotely... which is the exact opposite of what I like and what I heard on Work of Art. The first track had a beautiful melodic chorus which flowed like a river, reminding me a lot of Stage Dolls to be honest... and they seemed to keep it up through the album. I haven't really heard anything so far that's made me think of those Toto albums I know. So do I just not have the right ones?

Anyway, I don't want to miss out on good music and have written Toto off... but do you think there is a glimmer of hope that I may like those 3 mid/late 80's CDs?

I believe this is the defining moment in Jez and Geoff's love story....

Will the flame be rekindled or burnt out forever...

Watch this space..

Watch this space..

If my life were a reality show you would so be the voice of it.

Watch this space..

If my life were a reality show you would so be the voice of it.

announced Geoff, almost questioning his life's worth. Turning he faced the window... looking... for Toto? For Jez? Or for existence. Only in time would he know...

The Work Of Art is so Like Toto in places it is unreal, less the trademark Lukather guitar, although there is a similarity with the vocalist and Joseph Williams vocal style. Take the Track 'Camelia' - that is so like the style of 'The Seventh One' in places it could be an outtake. The rest of the disc, as I said, especially arrangement & Keys wise, is VERY reminiscent of 'Fahrenheit, 'Isolation' & 'The Seventh one' and I have been playing these albums for over 20 years to make the comparison (and I am not the only one doing so!!). Those three discs have more variation stylewise in general over the Work Of Art, but the similarities are definately there to be heard. That period of Toto is generally described as their most AOR period of which I certainly won't argue and is generally where the Westcoast AOR sound of a lot of these bands today comes from, Think of Some of Denanders stuff (which I know you don't really like) etc - you know the score. If you ain't heard them, check 'em out and see what I mean. There are songs that I guarantee you won't like, but there are at least half a dozen that I am sure you will. Try 'Carmen', 'Stranger In Town', 'Endless' , 'Straight From The Heart', 'Only The Children', 'Home Of The Brave' for starters.

As mentioned in a different thread, when they did/do the pure AOR thing (especially in the mid eighties and on these trio of discs) they were/are the epitome of what the 'Typical AOR' sound is all about, with many bands emulating them to this day - some very well (as in Work Of Art's case) and some not so.

I am not saying the Work Of Art is a complete rip off, cos it isn't, as there are elements of other stuff in there aswell (Stage Dolls being a pretty good example), but The most predominant influence is most definately that mid 80's Toto era. It's a great disc whatever it sounds like which is the main thing though, and glad to hear you are liking it.

A few listens later there are a few tracks I can hear a bit of Toto on (mostly in some strange verses) and I find them to be my least favoured ones... but I absolutely love stuff like 'Why do I', 'Her only lie', 'Too late', 'Whenever u sleep' and my favourite; 'Cover me'.

If there is anything like those tracks on those 3 Toto albums I will seek them out. I have access to a cheap copy of 'Fahrenheit' and also the best of 1977 to 1990 so I may check them out next time I buy from this vendor. I'll let you know how I go. :) Thanks for the info.

A few listens later there are a few tracks I can hear a bit of Toto on (mostly in some strange verses) and I find them to be my least favoured ones... but I absolutely love stuff like 'Why do I', 'Her only lie', 'Too late', 'Whenever u sleep' and my favourite; 'Cover me'.

If there is anything like those tracks on those 3 Toto albums I will seek them out. I have access to a cheap copy of 'Fahrenheit' and also the best of 1977 to 1990 so I may check them out next time I buy from this vendor. I'll let you know how I go. :) Thanks for the info.

For better reference,Try to get hold of 'The Seventh One' and 'Isolation' before the best of, as hardly any of the track from 'TSO' and Non from 'Isolation' are on there and non of the tracks I recommended to you!!

For better reference,Try to get hold of 'The Seventh One' and 'Isolation' before the best of, as hardly any of the track from 'TSO' and Non from 'Isolation' are on there and non of the tracks I recommended to you!!

Yeah, I have to admit I didn't really want to try the 'Best of', purely for the reasons you said there. In the write-up on the site I can get the CDs from it also mentioned that the best of CD featured hardly any songs from the albums I was interested in. It'd be sweet if they had 'Isolation' and 'The seventh one' there too. Maybe they will be the time I'm ready to order...

• 1 year later...

Just read some comments over at Melrock from Andrew and Tommy Denander that the second Work Of Art album s/b finished early part of 2010.

Freakin awesome news.

Freakin awesome news.

Oh yes !!! :guitbannana:

Just read some comments over at Melrock from Andrew and Tommy Denander that the second Work Of Art album s/b finished early part of 2010.

Freakin awesome news.

Tommy Denander's not contributing too much to it is he?

Freakin awesome news.

Tommy Denander's not contributing too much to it is he?

zero as far as im aware. just knows the guys (i assume?).