Another TIME WARP BOOTLEG on E Bay

It never ceases to amaze me that people get on E Bay selling CDRs....attempting to pass these things off as legitimate releases. Another thing that amazes me is how so many turn their heads and look the other way when certain people are selling these bootlegs. Has anyone ever heard of the so called TIME WARP label that is being promoted by one particular seller????

Here is a fine example:

ROCKNEE CD on Ebay

Here is a picture of the back tray from the auction:

ebayphoto.jpg

I transferred this particular piece from a cassette (it was only released on cassette). I've traded copies to only a very limited number of people. Then, a particular individual has made copies and is selling them on his bootleg label called TIME WARP that is alledgedly from some place called Italy........

You say, how do I know this is actually the cassette which I transferred to CDR??????

You see, when I transfer anything to CDR, I create original artwork (or artwork that is close to original) to go with it for my collection. I add my personal bar code (which was scanned from a game back in 1997) Here is a picture of my bar code:

barshorizontal.jpg

You can quickly see that the bar code on the back of this "TIME WARP" bootleg is the same.......

Then, I usually print somewhere on the artwork "Digital Mastering at UNDERGROUND SOUND followed by the year I did the transfer, or Digital Master by GOOCHMIESTER followed by the year I did the Transfer" Do you notice that printed at the bottom of the tray artwork pictured in the auction?

Here is a picture of the tray artwork from my original scan:

rockneetray.jpg

Then, there is this matter of STS records.....everyone who knows me well enough also knows that this is a dummy label I've used on my transfered CDRs which is short for "Super Transferred Sound". Here is my original label scan for that:

stsrecordsinvert.jpg

Notice that this 'TIME WARP' bootleg also has STS records on the bottom left, just as my original scan?

A particular reissue seller has several items in their catalog that I've observed to have my artwork on their bootlegs.......

The seller that is pushing this on E Bay indicates this is a USED CD!!! Used CDR maybe, but not CD.

Someone is going to be surprised.........

If you were a true fan you would be happy and bow down and be grateful that someone is making the effort and the self-sacrifice to take the time to make this music available to the masses. You're nothing but a "detractor".

</SARCASM>

No one believes the hogwash that Sam/Retrospect isn't the party behind all of the Time Warp/Rock-It "reissues". Unfirtunately, the reality is that at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter how much evidence you have, because unless an aggrieved party with deep pockets or the Federal authorities (unlikely) press the matter, he's free to do what he wants. Folks bringing up the illegal bootlegging here are just spitting into the wind.

*shrug*

-Dan

P.S. Just because it was a CDR does *NOT* mean that some enterprising soul *cough* hasn't had a couple hundred silver pressed, in which case customers will never be the wiser...

Just to clarify a couple of things.........

I'm sure many know where these things originate and I don't have to provide documentation to their authenticity. I was just amazed at how blatant the bootlegger has become to just take whatever he can get his hands on and mass produce it.....

Secondly, in response to your statement

it really doesn't matter how much evidence you have, because unless an aggrieved party with deep pockets or the Federal authorities (unlikely) press the matter, he's free to do what he wants.

One has to understand how an investigation of this type is conducted. It is not comparable to catching a robber or speeder or kidnapper where the authorities make an immediate arrest and then build their case. In these types of investigations, the authorities respond whenever the illegal activity comes to their attention, whether the source be an individual, influential corporation or victim of illegal activity. These investigations are conducted slowly, methodically and over a considerable period of time. I've seen these types of investigations continue for two or three years.

The authorities make numerous purchases of the illegal products. There may be lots of leg work to track down sources, others who may be involved, and gathering of many different sources of evidentiary items. There may sometime in the later stages, search warrants executed for buildings, computers, documents, phone records......interviews with possible witnesses and connected individuals.

When everything has been put together, the US Attorney will be given all the files for review, which again, may take a considerable length of time. He may recommend some additional followups before the case is presented to a federal grand jury. After that, indictments are handed down and bench warrants follow.........the bootlegger is agast.....he thought he had it all figured out......he thought the wind was blowing elsewhere and then the world crashes down on him........

Trust me....I've been there and have been a part of it..........here is an example of what I am talking about. In the case reported HERE, this investigation went on for over a year on just a simple copyright violation of an Illinois man right near where I live.

Don't dismay because you think nothing is going to happen. That's just what "he" thinks when he operates so openly and with such confidence!!!

Don't dismay because you think nothing is going to happen. That's just what "he" thinks when he operates so openly and with such confidence!!!

Not that I don't believe you, but given what "he" has been able to get away with thus far, including using his eBay status/connections to bully others and have their auctions shut down on a whim, I'll believe it when I see it.

However, realizing that these things do take time, and hoping that some good may ultimately come of it, are the primary reasons that I (1) placed a time limit on how long people can edit their posts here (to prevent the rewriting of history), and (2) have not simply removed the Retrospect forum, instead leaving it as a viewable archive of the public record (not surprising that "he" has repeatedly, begged, pleaded, threatened, and demanded that I remove that part of the forum... conceivably the contradictions therein could be used as evidence).

-Dan

Oh well, as an owner of STS Records and design/layout creator I guess you should be entitled to a cut from the Time Warp profits - inquire ;)

Good one......LOL!!!! :rofl2:

Even getting :baneed: hasn't stopped Sam's shit from stinking up the joint. Gotta find a stinky odour smelling smiley to fit right HERE.

If you were a true fan you would be happy and bow down and be grateful that someone is making the effort and the self-sacrifice to take the time to make this music available to the masses. You're nothing but a "detractor".

</SARCASM>

No one believes the hogwash that Sam/Retrospect isn't the party behind all of the Time Warp/Rock-It "reissues". Unfirtunately, the reality is that at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter how much evidence you have, because unless an aggrieved party with deep pockets or the Federal authorities (unlikely) press the matter, he's free to do what he wants. Folks bringing up the illegal bootlegging here are just spitting into the wind.

*shrug*

-Dan

P.S. Just because it was a CDR does *NOT* mean that some enterprising soul *cough* hasn't had a couple hundred silver pressed, in which case customers will never be the wiser...

Exactly. We all know the scam being pulled here. Whats weird is when I recieved my "Time Warp" DRIVER CD from VegasCD's (I knew I was getting a bootleg but was real curious about the quality) it came from someone in RHODE ISLAND.

</SARCASM>

*shrug*

-Dan

Exactly. We all know the scam being pulled here. Whats weird is when I recieved my "Time Warp" DRIVER CD from VegasCD's (I knew I was getting a bootleg but was real curious about the quality) it came from someone in RHODE ISLAND.

I bought the "Time Warp" release of Lionheart's "Hot Tonight" off ebay a couple years ago.

Mine was shipped from someone in Rhode Island also.

Luckily I've since managed to find the official Japanese release.