Hurricane Bootleg Warning

Fact is no music is worth that much money.. if it was, wouldn't the record stores just price every release at $200..? When you pay that much money for a CD it isn't for the music.

Obviously the "music" isn't worth that much, but that's where supply & demand comes into play. There were what, 16 million copies of Hysteria sold? Great cd, but a shit load of them out there, right? What does a copy of it sell for...$3.00? So if there is a great indie out there, but only 500, 1000, whatever copies made, & there are 100 people that want it, the price goes WAY up. Simple arithmetic.

Simple arithmetic I agree. Then why is it some people need to pay the large amount for an original? If it is out of print... wouldn't a CDR copy be just as good?

I'm pretty sure that you haven't grasped the fact of what the term collectible means. The fact is no collectible is inherently worth what it goes for be it music or any other type of collectible. Why do people pay tens of thousands of dollars on a picture of Mickey Mantle on a piece of cardboard. Why would someone pay millions on a stamp with an upside down plane on it? Rarity is the reason. And why would you want to own such a rare item? To brag? To make money? Just to collect? Could be all 3 or none of the 3. The fact of the matter is that it is there prerogative to spend whatever they want to and hopefully not get ripped of in the process. However the world is full of bootleggers so the reality is as long as there is money in ripping people off then bootlegs will exist.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fact is no music is worth that much money.. if it was, wouldn't the record stores just price every release at $200..? When you pay that much money for a CD it isn't for the music.

Obviously the "music" isn't worth that much, but that's where supply & demand comes into play. There were what, 16 million copies of Hysteria sold? Great cd, but a shit load of them out there, right? What does a copy of it sell for...$3.00? So if there is a great indie out there, but only 500, 1000, whatever copies made, & there are 100 people that want it, the price goes WAY up. Simple arithmetic.

Simple arithmetic I agree. Then why is it some people need to pay the large amount for an original? If it is out of print... wouldn't a CDR copy be just as good?

Maybe the same reason that you have a car instead of a bus pass? You *prefer* to have your own car. Not the best analogy in the world, but hey, I'm on my 4th beer.

Or for that matter, using that logic, why not sell all your cd's & just transfer all the music to your Ipod? Isn't that the same reasoning you're using?

I highly recommend everyone doing that. I will be transferring my entire collection to hard drive in the next few months and will be selling off my entire 12,000 cd collection. At the end of the day , owning 12,000 cd's is quite pointless - i'd rather just have it all on a hard drive. I think my dad's death woke me up to the important things in life.

I hate to see em go , but one of the world's largest collections is finally going to be made available for sale. :crying:

Maybe the same reason that you have a car instead of a bus pass? You *prefer* to have your own car. Not the best analogy in the world, but hey, I'm on my 4th beer.

Or for that matter, using that logic, why not sell all your cd's & just transfer all the music to your Ipod? Isn't that the same reasoning you're using?

All I was asking is if someone could tell me if someone is in it for the "music" then why pay those prices if there is a cheaper alternative? I have no problem with people who really dig a particular release or band and pay more to "collect" those. But buying every high priced, and in many cases over-rated releases, makes no sense if you collect for the music. To me that seems like it's all about the image of the collector.

I've got many original CDs (many rare), I will not even say how many, and I have never spent more then $35 on any one release. And that happened to be a new release and it happened to be my favorite artist. But I tell you... Simple arithmetic... If they had wanted much more then that I would have found another way to have gotten "THE MUSIC".

Just a question for anyone to answer... If you payed $160 for a rare release and after you listened to it thought is sucked... whould you sell it or keep it?

All I was asking is if someone could tell me if someone is in it for the "music" then why pay those prices if there is a cheaper alternative? I have no problem with people who really dig a particular release or band and pay more to "collect" those. But buying every high priced, and in many cases over-rated releases, makes no sense if you collect for the music. To me that seems like it's all about the image of the collector.

I've got many original CDs (many rare), I will not even say how many, and I have never spent more then $35 on any one release. And that happened to be a new release and it happened to be my favorite artist. But I tell you... Simple arithmetic... If they had wanted much more then that I would have found another way to have gotten "THE MUSIC".

Just a question for anyone to answer... If you payed $160 for a rare release and after you listened to it thought is sucked... whould you sell it or keep it?

That's completely up to the person but in reality has no real bearing on this thread. The point of this thread is paying $160 for a rare release that ends up being a cheap boot. Getting ripped off is the entire point of this thread.

That's completely up to the person but in reality has no real bearing on this thread. The point of this thread is paying $160 for a rare release that ends up being a cheap boot. Getting ripped off is the entire point of this thread.

I believe it does... do you yourself collect for the actual music or so you can hold an actual copy of a particular CD?

I have run into many many artists/bands who procrastinate when it comes to re-releasing their old material. Sometimes they need that extra 'push' to realize how important their music is to the fans. When they see a boot of their album going for $100+ on ebay they soon understand THAT money should be theirs. Like I said , it's a simple equation.

This is true, but could be a two-handled sword coz once a band sees their original CD (or boot faking the original) fetch insane prices they assume all 1000 reissue units will sell for $100 each and demand ridiculous fees. So it could be a mighty catalyst, or dreadful inhibition...

And sometimes they come with the ideas such as "okay, lets make handfull of copies and put them one at a time on eBay to maximize the profit" which I personally dont approve. Because for me one of the assets of a good reissue is to be made easily obtainable for everyone at affordable fixed price.

By "found some other way", don't tell me you would have somebody burn you a copy...that would be ripping off the artist!

And to answer the second part of that question...any high priced indie I've ever thought about bidding on/buying I've made sure I've previewed a copy. If it sucked, I wouldn't purchase it.

I believe it does... do you yourself collect for the actual music or so you can hold an actual copy of a particular CD?

What's the difference? If I think I'm buying an original pressing and end up getting a boot, does it even matter why I'm collecting? That has absolutely no bearing on why I'm collecting, its a matter of if I got ripped of or not. You and Sam keep twisting this entire issue around.

By "found some other way", don't tell me you would have somebody burn you a copy...that would be ripping off the artist!

And to answer the second part of that question...any high priced indie I've ever thought about bidding on/buying I've made sure I've previewed a copy. If it sucked, I wouldn't purchase it.

A smart move on your part... :drink:

But I think you would be willing to admit that alot of people do not do that... correct?

And as far as ripping of the artist... Don't you think that if an artist is selling a new release for let us say $40 that the artist is the one ripping off the buyer?

______________)___________________________________________

What's the difference? If I think I'm buying an original pressing and end up getting a boot, does it even matter why I'm collecting? That has absolutely no bearing on why I'm collecting, its a matter of if I got ripped of or not. You and Sam keep twisting this entire issue around.

Just asked a question... didn't twist anything here. If you are a "hard-core" collector you should know how to detect a bootleg. If you suspect something is a bootleg... don't buy it. That way you will never be dissappointed.

There are people and people. I personally would never pay more than $20-30 for an OOP CD, tops!. If I want it I get it on CDR and wait till its reissued. Other people wont settle for anything but the original... it is the same with all other collectors really, whether they collect stamps, coins, cars, or whatever... I guess that's why I'm not considered a collector, and other people are. Simply as that.

Hell, I even didnt buy some of SunCity reissues I wanted coz I thought $18 plus shipping is an outrageous price for fresh reissue. I guess I'm very cheap person when it comes to shopping for my personal collection :)

I have run into many many artists/bands who procrastinate when it comes to re-releasing their old material. Sometimes they need that extra 'push' to realize how important their music is to the fans. When they see a boot of their album going for $100+ on ebay they soon understand THAT money should be theirs. Like I said , it's a simple equation.

This is true, but could be a two-handled sword coz once a band sees their original CD (or boot faking the original) fetch insane prices they assume all 1000 reissue units will sell for $100 each and demand ridiculous fees. So it could be a mighty catalyst, or dreadful inhibition...

And sometimes they come with the ideas such as "okay, lets make handfull of copies and put them one at a time on eBay to maximize the profit" which I personally dont approve. Because for me one of the assets of a good reissue is to be made easily obtainable for everyone at affordable fixed price.

I start all auctions at 99 cents - how much more affordable can they f'ing be?

ALL prices are set on the website and are extremely affordable.

Stormy - you will learn in time that running an indie label is far more complicated than you think and you will need to become a good businessman to deal with 180 bands as RR does.

SUPPLY AND DEMAND. One of the top reasons why Retrospect Records has become the world's leader in re-issues. And I guarantee you Stormy that I am paying the artists more than any other label. None of this $5 (or less) per cd crap.

There are people and people. I personally would never pay more than $20-30 for an OOP CD, tops!. If I want it I get it on CDR and wait till its reissued. Other people wont settle for anything but the original... it is the same with all other collectors really, whether they collect stamps, coins, cars, or whatever... I guess that's why I'm not considered a collector, and other people are. Simply as that.

Hell, I even didnt buy some of SunCity reissues I wanted coz I thought $18 plus shipping is an outrageous price for fresh reissue. I guess I'm very cheap person when it comes to shopping for my personal collection :)

Then you and I agree... There are "CD collectors" and there are "music collectors". And if you are a so-called "CD collector" you should make it your bussiness to know how to spot a bootleg, then you will not get burned. After all... a "CD collector" would be able to spot a bootleg before I could (I'm just a low-level "music collector")... right?

Just asked a question... didn't twist anything here. If you are a "hard-core" collector you should know how to detect a bootleg. If you suspect something is a bootleg... don't buy it. That way you will never be dissappointed.

Is this a bootleg?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...43225&rd=1&rd=1

Is you said no...guess again.

A smart move on your part... :drink:

But I think you would be willing to admit that alot of people do not do that... correct?

And as far as ripping of the artist... Don't you think that if an artist is selling a new release for let us say $40 that the artist is the one ripping off the buyer?

______________)___________________________________________

That's exactly why I've only bought 2 CDs from Sam (and the first time was the only time I was ever burned). First was the Bashful CD I got burned on. Thats the only time I was burned on a boot. Second time I bought from Sam I knew it was a boot going in (however he didnt' tell me upfront, I just expected that it was and my expectation came true). And I also don't consider myself a hard core collector, those are your words, I have many a re-issue and not an original pressing.

There are "CD collectors" and there are "music collectors".

Aren't you allowed to be both?

You can be whatever you wanna be... go for it. Just one question for you. Do you own a single CDR?

Then you and I agree... There are "CD collectors" and there are "music collectors". And if you are a so-called "CD collector" you should make it your bussiness to know how to spot a bootleg, then you will not get burned. After all... a "CD collector" would be able to spot a bootleg before I could (I'm just a low-level "music collector")... right?

Sure, throw it back on the buyer and not the seller. That makes no sense at all. So I can sell all the boots I want to the unsuspecting buyer and that makes it right. If I follow your logic then that is true. It has nothing to do with the "CD collector" vs the "Music Collector". It has to do with trying to be honest or ripping people off.

Studboy - Pretty much every 80s Hard Rock fan in the know understands what I have to offer. Don't like? Don't buy.

So what are you saying....I'm actually not sure I understand.

Sure, throw it back on the buyer and not the seller. That makes no sense at all. So I can sell all the boots I want to the unsuspecting buyer and that makes it right. If I follow your logic then that is true. It has nothing to do with the "CD collector" vs the "Music Collector". It has to do with trying to be honest or ripping people off.

I'm saying that if you are gonna spend a larger sum of cash on a CD and you care if it is a bootleg or not... protect yourself before you buy... don't complain after.