Hurricane Bootleg Warning

hmmm - you do it for the joy of "collecting"??? <_<<_<

So it's not because you are a fan of the music? :screwy:

I'm pretty sure that is implied. People don't collect stuff otherwise. Why do I feel like I'm explaining something to my 6 year old?

See , someone always has to pipe in with a fucking insult. NO it is NOT implied. You either collect cd's for value or for the music. Or must I explain it like you ARE a 6-year old????

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said anything about caring about the band? I've bought a TON of cassettes and CDs over the years to support the bands (and have spent a pretty penny on all the concerts and swag as well). Bottom line is I don't like getting ripped off. I don't give a crap about what my collection is worth. I do care about getting what I've paid for. And if I think I'm buying an original I expect to get that, not some piece of crap knock off.

I'm pretty sure that is implied. People don't collect stuff otherwise. Why do I feel like I'm explaining something to my 6 year old?

So you collect things you don't like? I sure as hell don't have any country music in my collection. The basic reason for collecting something is because you enjoy it. :screwy:

Dave has just make the most profound statement and has unearthed the truth behind the thoughts of the "anal collectors"

We don't like bootlegs because either it cuts personal profits or it enable others to have some of the same rare CDs that you have.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT IT BOILS DOWN TO and only a fool would disagree.

Dave , you are the man!!! Kudos to you brother.

SELFISHNESS rules the elite....and eventually all kings are de-throned.

Oh man , I gotta have a beer after this - HAHA it's f'ing great!

Actually, that's pretty much as far from the truth as you can get, but whatever...I could care less who has what. I'm only concerned with MY collection.

EXACTLY my point. You just said it all Choc. THANKS!!!

"I'm only concerned with MY collection."

I never said anything about caring about the band? I've bought a TON of cassettes and CDs over the years to support the bands (and have spent a pretty penny on all the concerts and swag as well). Bottom line is I don't like getting ripped off. I don't give a crap about what my collection is worth. I do care about getting what I've paid for. And if I think I'm buying an original I expect to get that, not some piece of crap knock off.

I agree. I would be pissed if I spent $200 on a knock-off......the great thing is that I have NEVER spent more than $20 on a cd so I am not concerned with originals / re-issues / boots. But that's just me.

See , someone always has to pipe in with a fucking insult. NO it is NOT implied. You either collect cd's for value or for the music. Or must I explain it like you ARE a 6-year old????

Why does anyone collect anything? Cuz they like what they are collecting. If that's not implied then I don't know what is. I'd be better off trying to explain this to my tree in my backyard. :doh: It's not an insult, it's common sense.

Why does anyone collect anything? Cuz they like what they are collecting. If that's not implied then I don't know what is. I'd be better off trying to explain this to my tree in my backyard. :doh: It's not an insult, it's common sense.

I know a lot of people who only care about the VALUE of something and not about what the piece actually MEANS. I guess I am the one talking to a tree.

EXACTLY my point. You just said it all Choc. THANKS!!!

"I'm only concerned with MY collection."

I wasn't finished...go back & re-read my post.

Never mind...here:

"Actually, that's pretty much as far from the truth as you can get, but whatever...I could care less who has what or what my collection is worth. I can honestly say that that thought has never even entered my mind. I'm only concerned with MY collection. Not Steve's...not Jarred's...not James...it's not a contest."

And Stormy , I do like your releases and support what you are doing too but I am going to address this statement

"My grief as small indy label: By mass-booting an album it essentially robs the band or some label from the opportunity of investing time and money into proper re-issue. Especially valid for indy bands with limited market."

The only way to combat this is to take counter-measures. Sign the band and make a better looking package with bonuses. The Greeks booted my band AXTION but I put a stop to it IMMEDIATELY. Fight fire with fire. Labels like NRR and Shrapnel are missing the boat by ignoring their back catalogs.

I agree in general, but in case with some lesser and obscure bands for which every sold CD would count, by the time you can react the effect could be devastating.

The Greeks make 500 copies of each bootleg, let's say I can stop them from selling on eBay with VeRO, but what about GEMM, musicstack, and all numerous small Mail Orders all over the world that will carry them? Its like poking a water balloon with a needle - you poke one source and it disperse its stock to 10 others...

You know, it takes me quite a long time to get a release out. From the time contacting the band and start negotiating, finding bonuses, remastering, pushing them to write liner notes, commisioning artwork, making booklet design and layout, patches, etc., then manufacturing the product it takes like 6 months even more. It is enough for me to get fully commited to this process and a boot to pop out to take all the fun out of the release... and it is not because of the invested money, but coz you put your soul in it and try to give your best and make the most elaborate release ever and then some goofs steal it from you overnight. I know that when this happens to me I'd rather give up and scrape the project than to fight pointless battles...

NRR would have been a good indicator if one can fight bootlegs with better re-issues. Unfortunately I'm yet to see NRR re-issue which looks better than the boots :P

Choc - judging by the attitudes and posts by various "collectors" at this forum - it IS a contest.

And some of you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

Maybe so, but I'm speaking only for myself. I collect cd's because I LOVE music...specifically 80's metal/AOR music. Isn't that what brought us all to this board in the first place? I don't think I've ever read a post where someone was bragging about their collection being bigger/better than someone else's. The thing is, there's always going to be someone with more than you. That's why I said that I was only concerned about my collection. I don't worry about what anyone else has...why bother?

Illegally making/selling boots is not cool but can be done for the RIGHT reasons.

I'm curious...what would be the 'right' reasons?

If a band has no interest in reissuing their stuff what gives someone else the right to bootleg it? Why not just offer the music for free download if you want to share it with the world? A bootleggers only concern is stuffing his own pockets...not the music or the musician.

I know a lot of people who only care about the VALUE of something and not about what the piece actually MEANS. I guess I am the one talking to a tree.

To back that up....QUESTION - Why is it that some of the highest price indies that suck still fetch big bucks?... ANSWER - Because those releases make a collection "look good"... it makes the buyer feel like he is better then other collectors. It's about the VALUE... not the band or the music.

Choc - judging by the attitudes and posts by various "collectors" at this forum - it IS a contest.

And some of you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

Maybe so, but I'm speaking only for myself. I collect cd's because I LOVE music...specifically 80's metal/AOR music. Isn't that what brought us all to this board in the first place? I don't think I've ever read a post where someone was bragging about their collection being bigger/better than someone else's. The thing is, there's always going to be someone with more than you. That's why I said that I was only concerned about my collection. I don't worry about what anyone else has...why bother?

THAT's the answer I was waiting for. Thankyou for that.

Look , I understand much of what you guys are saying and I do not belittle your opinions - we all have our own stance on certain issues - but like I said in another thread , Boots can serve a good purpose under certain conditions. That's why I have always maintained that I am "on the fence" when it comes to boots. Just like I'm "on the fence" when it comes to political issues like what to do with the muslim threat.

Illegally making/selling boots is not cool but can be done for the RIGHT reasons.

I'm curious...what would be the 'right' reasons?

If a band has no interest in reissuing their stuff what gives someone else the right to bootleg it? Why not just offer the music for free download if you want to share it with the world? A bootleggers only concern is stuffing his own pockets...not the music or the musician.

I have run into many many artists/bands who procrastinate when it comes to re-releasing their old material. Sometimes they need that extra 'push' to realize how important their music is to the fans. When they see a boot of their album going for $100+ on ebay they soon understand THAT money should be theirs. Like I said , it's a simple equation.

From what you keep saying about your ebay status, this may come into play. Oh the irony...

To back that up....QUESTION - Why is it that some of the highest price indies that suck still fetch big bucks?... ANSWER - Because those releases make a collection "look good"... it makes the buyer feel like he is better then other collectors. It's about the VALUE... not the band or the music.

Dave , you win hands down tonight. Your posts are right on the money bro. I'm hooking you up with some free cd's. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

That wouldn't even hold up in court. Complete assumption. Who's to say something sucks? I like plenty of CDs that I'm sure others think suck. Its all in the eye of the beholder.

Dave , you win hands down tonight. Your posts are right on the money bro. I'm hooking you up with some free cd's. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Dave wins some free boots :banana:

I would agree with that to a certain extent. There are several cd's out there that are "trophy cd's". But at the same time there are several that don't fetch near what they used to (Shelter, KK Wilde, TLC, etc). I guess word eventually circulated that these cd's don't live up to the hype, & the price plummeted. Who knows?

That wouldn't even hold up in court. Complete assumption. Who's to say something sucks? I like plenty of CDs that I'm sure others think suck. Its all in the eye of the beholder.

True... I'm sure I like release others don't... But wouldn't you be more likely to say you liked something if you payed a good price for it or at least try and talk yourself into liking it? Goes back to the fact that we all agree on.. nobody wants to get burned or even admit that they have been burned. Fact is no music is worth that much money.. if it was, wouldn't the record stores just price every release at $200..? When you pay that much money for a CD it isn't for the music.

From what you keep saying about your ebay status, this may come into play. Oh the irony...

Is that a threat T-Bone?? Cuz I can fix that threat within 24 hours if you like. Oh the power....

Did it seem like one to you? You always rant and rave about your ebay status and how big you are and top seller, etc.... and then you make that statement. Thought it was rather funny

Fact is no music is worth that much money.. if it was, wouldn't the record stores just price every release at $200..? When you pay that much money for a CD it isn't for the music.

Obviously the "music" isn't worth that much, but that's where supply & demand comes into play. There were what, 16 million copies of Hysteria sold? Great cd, but a shit load of them out there, right? What does a copy of it sell for...$3.00? So if there is a great indie out there, but only 500, 1000, whatever copies made, & there are 100 people that want it, the price goes WAY up. Simple arithmetic.

Is that a threat T-Bone?? Cuz I can fix that threat within 24 hours if you like. Oh the power....

Did it seem like one to you? You always rant and rave about your ebay status and how big you are and top seller, etc.... and then you make that statement. Thought it was rather funny

Ok ok , we haven't exactly had a great past T-Bone. It's cool. Just sounded like a threat to me. I jumped to conclusions. Sorry.

Fact is no music is worth that much money.. if it was, wouldn't the record stores just price every release at $200..? When you pay that much money for a CD it isn't for the music.

Obviously the "music" isn't worth that much, but that's where supply & demand comes into play. There were what, 16 million copies of Hysteria sold? Great cd, but a shit load of them out there, right? What does a copy of it sell for...$3.00? So if there is a great indie out there, but only 500, 1000, whatever copies made, & there are 100 people that want it, the price goes WAY up. Simple arithmetic.

Simple arithmetic I agree. Then why is it some people need to pay the large amount for an original? If it is out of print... wouldn't a CDR copy be just as good?