Saviour Machine

Fat Freddy

Dunno how many people here order from RadRockers but when I placed my most recent order with them, I bought enough stuff to earn a couple of "freebie" bonus items, so I picked a couple of old cassettes from their huge list. (I guess since nobody buys cassettes anymore the RadRockers guy just gives'em away for nothing to get rid of'em.) It's been AGES since I bought ANYTHING on tape, but I'm certainly not gonna turn down free stuff, so I got Angelica's GREATEST HITS comp and the S/T debut by the Christian theatrical goth-metal act Saviour Machine (1993). I had never really heard much from Saviour Machine except for one track (the very cool "Carnival Of Souls," which was on the HOT METAL V: SCREAMING TRUTH compilation album), and therefore didn't expect much from it when I first played it, but the album is VERY COOL. It's a rock-opera style album that is not really up my usual musical alley, cuz it's definitely more "goth" than "metal" (best comparison I can think of is a combination of U2 and Type O Negative), but the performances are absolutely amazing. I think I'm gonna have to track down a CD copy of this album now. On a side note, I would guess that Jimmy Brown of Deliverance must've REALLY liked these guys because a lot of the latter-period Deliverance albums sound very similar to Saviour Machine (Jimmy does some backing vocals on this album, and I do remember Deliverance and S.M. touring together briefly back in the early 90s).

Are there any Saviour Machine fans here that might be able to recommend any of their other CDs? Or if anybody trips over a used CD of this S/T album, maybe you can help a brutha out, cuz it seems to be something or a rare find on CD (RadRockers doesn't have any CD copies, just cassettes, I already checked). Thanks in advance!

I went through a phase of digging their stuff. Definitely off the beaten path. VERY Goth.

I have a DVD of one of their live performances somewhere... I think... I'll have to dig it up.

-Dan

Yea, definitely off the beaten path, especially for a Christian band... maybe that's why they appealed to me, cuz they're so WEIRD and not the typical "Rah Rah, Jesus Rocks" kind of band. From what I've been able to gather, the Christian music community has a definite love/hate relationship with them... some think they're geniuses, and others think they're evil scary phonies who should be run out of town on a rail...

Yeah, you also see that reaction to some of the Christian heavy metal acts that have a thrash or death metal style.

Deliverance and Vengeance Rising got that alot back in the day.

-Dan

Very true, but that's kinda what I liked about bands like that. They weren't cookie cutter Stryper clones, they had some "edge" to them, I guess the Charlie Church types couldn't handle that...

(Ned Flanders voice) "Well now, what kinda Jesus praisin' music are the young'uns listening to these days? Whoa NELLY!! These thrash-arino's in Deliverance are a lil' bit too LOUD for ol' Neddy... and what's with the growly voice on that Vengeance Rising feller? Those Saviour Machine boys are wearin' a little too much black eyeshadow for me, and they sure look like they need a shower-ino, too. My Satan sense is tingling, gotta get Rod and Todd to the bomb shelter!" :)

Interesting discussion. Christian music in general is wary of "new sounds" and in the past has been about 5 years behind the current scene. Its almost as if people have to be totally acclimated to the sound before they decide its ok, to put out with a Christian label on it. Which is a bit ironic in of itself if you think about it.

Interesting discussion. Christian music in general is wary of "new sounds" and in the past has been about 5 years behind the current scene. Its almost as if people have to be totally acclimated to the sound before they decide its ok, to put out with a Christian label on it. Which is a bit ironic in of itself if you think about it.

There are still a lot of stuck-in-the-dark-ages types who believe that "rock" of any sort is DEVIL MUSIC and that "Christian Rock" cannot really be "Christian" at all simply because the musicians use the rock format. I never understood that mind-set...

Here's a web page I found a while back that always makes my head spin, it's called "Christian Rock: Blessing or Blasphemy?" Of course, they rip apart obvious "target" Christian bands like Stryper, Deliverance, etc., but they even slam middle of the road artists like Amy Grant, Sandi Patti and Michael W. Smith!!! Man, these people don't like ANYBODY!!

http://www.av1611.org/crock.html

These are the Saviour Machine CDs that i have (released on Massacre Records):

Saviour Machine Live in Deutchland

Saviour Machine Behold A Pale Horse Single

Saviour Machine Legend I

Saviour Machine Legend II

Saviour Machine Legend III

The singer is a little bit mad (look at his face !)... He is the mastermind of the band.

Legend is a concept trilogy based on apocalypse. It's very very dark, sometimes prog, sometimes goth... Very atmospheric. It sounds like an obscure horror soundtrack. Very good band IMO.

As i know, the lead singer has declared just after released the trilogy to stop music for ever... (!!!)

saviourln3.jpgsaviour2qt0.jpg

I've seen all their CDs in my collection at one period or another, but never really got into them.

I dontthink I have anything by them now, except for several copies of LEGEND: Part II CDs I got from EMP several years ago. I need to put those on eGay for $5 one of these days

The singer is a little bit mad (look at his face !)... He is the mastermind of the band.

I was reading some stuff about this band online a while ago and it seemed that the singer/band even creeped out the people at their record label in the U.S. (Frontline/Intense)... after the release of their first album, all the people at the label who had championed them and got them signed left the company, so when it came time to do their second CD, the label people who were left really didn't want anything to do with'em.... they cut their recording budget in half and then only pressed up 1000 copies (!) of the second album, therefore their chances for any advancement in the U.S. kinda got squished ... that's why they've pretty much concentrated on Europe ever since... sad, but that's the music business for ya...

The singer looks like Hellraiser's Pinehead :freak: ... The music too.

The singer looks like Hellraiser's Pinehead :freak: ... The music too.

Haha, true. No wonder he scared the people at his Christian rock record label then, eh? :flame:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Rockrz
"Rah Rah, Jesus Rocks"
Yep, He's gonna sing for the congregation of Heaven at the Supper of the Lamb to welcome all of God's family into Heaven...

I wonder if Jesus is gonna rock on His righteous axe!

19.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Found a video for Saviour Machine's "Carnival Of Souls" on YouTube if anybody is curious... their stage and light show is certainly impressive and...well...WEIRD!!

• 2 years later...

saviour machine is my alltime favorite 90's band. their democd and the first bunch of their cds are my absolute fave ones. i saw them in germany when they played with veni domine and soul cages and i still have nice memories to remember....needless to write that their revelations/rarities 4cd box is a monster! lots of unreleased and bootleg stuff....even moments where eric is completely out of key are included there....a must for a SM fan....their 20 minute opus "revelation" from their demo cd are some of the best 20 minutes ever recorded.... B)

saviour machine is my alltime favorite 90's band. their democd and the first bunch of their cds are my absolute fave ones. i saw them in germany when they played with veni domine and soul cages and i still have nice memories to remember....needless to write that their revelations/rarities 4cd box is a monster! lots of unreleased and bootleg stuff....even moments where eric is completely out of key are included there....a must for a SM fan....their 20 minute opus "revelation" from their demo cd are some of the best 20 minutes ever recorded.... B)

Man you were able to see Saviour Machine with Veni Domine, what a combo! :D That's a good team-up because both bands play at a matching tempo. Saviour Machine song titles are also so very rooted in Scripture. Completely out of key yeah, not a good experience to have the record playing in the car if you've had girlfriends with perfect pitch who would complain. :P