Retrospect... what do people really think?

glam_junkie

What is your opinion on Retrospect Records?  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Vyper? Did someone say VYPER? Did this label REALLY re-issue a Vyper album? Holy crap... I thought the master tapes to their stuff were lost in a warehouse fire some years ago (if I'm thinking of the same band, that is...)

If it *is* the same Vyper I'm thinking of (I only remember one song, called "Dealer," which I taped off of a college radio metal show circa 1985-6), I'd like to get my hands on it...

I'm staying out of the argument that seems to be raging about this particular label because quite frankly I'm not familiar with them and don't want to get in the middle of something that I know nothing about...

But wow... Vyper... damn, I'd like to get my hands on that if it's avail on CD...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vyper? Did someone say VYPER? Did this label REALLY re-issue a Vyper album? Holy crap... I thought the master tapes to their stuff were lost in a warehouse fire some years ago (if I'm thinking of the same band, that is...)

If it *is* the same Vyper I'm thinking of (I only remember one song, called "Dealer," which I taped off of a college radio metal show circa 1985-6), I'd like to get my hands on it...

I'm staying out of the argument that seems to be raging about this particular label because quite frankly I'm not familiar with them and don't want to get in the middle of something that I know nothing about...

But wow... Vyper... damn, I'd like to get my hands on that if it's avail on CD...

Yep , it's right there on the site. It also includes the Afraid of the Dark EP.

"Afraid of the Dark" too? Sweet! I'm gonna have to track down a copy of that puppy

...I'm still staying out of the arguments/controversy that still continue to surround the topic of this particular label? That's cuz I'm new and I don't want to piss anybody off with an uninformed opinion. Quite frankly, I had never even HEARD of Retrospect Records till I started wandering around on this board. But hey, if they reissued a Vyper album they're OK by me... mastered from LP or not, I don't care... :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
Well , it's a case of tough shit for you Gener8tr.

The bands are getting paid.

The cd's are being sold.

The customers are happy.

It's a winning combination.

First time back in a while and I see you responded.

Quote me on this: "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA." I see in other thread you boys got busted for bootlegging by at least one band.

I thought you said "The bands are getting paid." FUCKING LIAR! :axe:

Well , it's a case of tough shit for you Gener8tr.

The bands are getting paid.

The cd's are being sold.

The customers are happy.

It's a winning combination.

First time back in a while and I see you responded.

Quote me on this: "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA." I see in other thread you boys got busted for bootlegging by at least one band.

I thought you said "The bands are getting paid." FUCKING LIAR! :axe:

Here's a Retrospect joke...

What's do Silent Sam Vodka and Sam McCaslin have in common?

Both are now silent, both lack in taste, both owe Russia for the origins of their product, and both can leave you feeling sick to your stomach in the morning!!!

:rofl2:

Honestly, I really don't care what Sam or his company think, say or do as it's really is no concern of mine. I'm not a member of some long-forgotten 80's metal band who's either getting paid legitimately or screwed in the ass by Retrospect. I will never enjoy any of the legitimate recordings he has released (and I'm sure a great deal of them are legit), nor will I be disappointed with inferior artwork or cheap green-backed CD-R's as I will never purchase anything from the Retrospect label.

HOWEVER, I don't like being lied to, and I do not believe for a moment Sam or his company is being 100% honest. In fact, I believe they intentially use deceit to profit from others. As I've said before, calling a Russian bootleg a "European Import" is like being "kind of pregnant." Come on, there is no gray area there. You either are or you're not... whether we're refering to pregnancy or the truth.

Just be honest, that's all I ask. Do you have a legitamate contract with Sweet Teaze and permission to press their "Do It Till It Hurtz" album or not? That's not a difficult question to answer, and not too much for me to ask.

Thanks and have a great day!

Well my take on it is this.....I am in no way slamming Sam or his label or taking sides, as i think everyone knows my opinion on subject of "silver pressed vs. CDR's" ...........But a CDR is not worth $40 and most people who are buying them are not aware of that fact as most of the auctions state "reissue" and it is nowhere stated it is a cdr......... So honestly to say the prices are "Market Value" is false.......Because if it was stated as CDR/Reissue, then see how many are sold and at what price, if the price still goes to $40 plus, you can then honestly say that it is the "Market Value".........As far as Sam getting the music out there, i applaud that because most of the bands on his label may not of ever seen the light of day on CD/CDR if he had not put it out........But also it is Sam's label to run how he sees fit, and if people want buy from him they are free to do so, if not that is their choice as well........His silver pressed cd's i will buy, the cdr's i will pass on, but that is my choice......Just how i see things, and i am not asking anyone to agree or disagree, just my personal preference.........

I would say that Lon hit it right on the head. I agree 100% with him. I also have stayed quiet because I threw stones at Sam before, then realized that I'm not exactly a saint. I have made mistakes in the past and learned from them and I run my business different today. It's not my place to try and judge anyone on here or anywhere else for that matter.

I will say this though. '80's, you are not helping Sams cause. I realize that in the heat of the moment passion can take over but that's usually bad, not good. Make your point, but try to be professional. Just some free advice my friend.

Thanks

JL

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.