Hedley - s/t ; brilliant

Geoff

So, anyone heard the new album, 'Famous Last Words'? I spun it a few times over the weekend and basically, if you loved the debut you will love this because it is 100% a continuation. The album is chock-full of huge catchy choruses and aside from an ordinary arrangement on the album closer, 'Never too late', this album never falters at all.

So, if every song is great and the album kicks ass, why was I just a slight, tiny bit "underwhelmed" by the whole thing? Your guess is as good as mine. I love this, I really do, but I just had that feeling. It wasn't until track 9, 'Brave new world', and then the excellent 'Dear Blank' and 'Can't go back' (songs 9,10 and 11) that I thought the band's best material surfaced. Which is strange, considering how excellent the first three songs are, and really every other track.

I don't know, it's hard to explain. Maybe, my issue could be that this album sounds TOO much like the debut. Which I thought was perfect... but maybe a slight bit of overkill this time? I don't know. I still recommend this 100% and would be surprised to see it outside my top 10 this year. Essential.

Here's the new single, 'She's so sorry':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr6p-l3IrRQ

And here's a few links from the debut:

'Trip':

'On my own':

'3-2-1':

'Gunnin':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8T0Oa2q-U4

I picked mine up Saturday at Best Buy for 10.99$. I wasn't overly impressed at first, but after about 5 spins, I ralized it's damn good. This one has lots of hits for the local Canadian teen radio stations. 4 or 5 of the tracks are ballad types with huge choruses and amazing bridges that modern bands seem to deliver so well. My fav of the ballad tracks is "Old School". Of the rockers, I aggre with you Geoff "Dear Blank" is great.

The only thing I'm not overly impressed with are the lyrics, too many girl left me or don't try to be my girl because I'm only gonna break your heart type of songs. The use of the expression ''Bullet to the Brain" and word "Bleed" are used a little too much for my taste. I'm searchin' here and I'm being really picky trying to find something I don't like.

One thing I do love is the killer photos and details found in the inserts. Nice work with that one. First time in a long time I actually leafed through a cd booklet because it was cool looking.

• 1 year later...

Did anyone else ever pick up their debut album? For the modern rock lovers, I'd have to recommend it as you can probably find it anywhere for about $1. I was just listening to it the other day and it truly is one of the top modern rock releases I've heard. Every song is so excellent. A must for any farn of SR-71 too.

$4.47:

Secondspin

From $1 Buy It Now!!!!

Ebay

Actually I have this one in my collection (got it half a year ago) but I still haven't had the time to listen to it thoroughly. Maybe I should? :unsure:

Definitely. Killer disc.

I bit, I pulled it out and yep, it's still a great release. I think I prefer it to Famous Last Words, but just. It's darker and has more of an edge to it, Famous Last Words is more commercial in the approach, the lyrics and the tracks that were selected as singles. I still don't know why "For The Nights I Can't Remember" and "Never Too Late" were singles. Both are OK tracks, but they are not in keeping with the Hedley sound. I would have much rather have seen "Dying To Live Again" released as a ballad single, great track and it has hit written all over it.

I bit, I pulled it out and yep, it's still a great release. I think I prefer it to Famous Last Words, but just. It's darker and has more of an edge to it, Famous Last Words is more commercial in the approach, the lyrics and the tracks that were selected as singles. I still don't know why "For The Nights I Can't Remember" and "Never Too Late" were singles. Both are OK tracks, but they are not in keeping with the Hedley sound. I would have much rather have seen "Dying To Live Again" released as a ballad single, great track and it has hit written all over it.

Yeah, I definitely prefer the debut to 'Famous Last Words'. As I think I said in my review of that CD, it all sounds good but just doesn't quite come off as good as the debut. I haven't heard 'Famous...' for a while (still trying to find a freakin' original copy at a good price) but I do remember it not really taking off until the end. I'll have to pull that one out again asap.

Actually I have this one in my collection (got it half a year ago) but I still haven't had the time to listen to it thoroughly. Maybe I should? :unsure:

Definitely. Killer disc.

Oh yes indeed. Great modern rock. I'm just listening to it, I'm halfway through and so far one of the better modern rock cds I have in my collection. Glad I dug it out! :banger:

Definitely. Killer disc.

Oh yes indeed. Great modern rock. I'm just listening to it, I'm halfway through and so far one of the better modern rock cds I have in my collection. Glad I dug it out! :banger:

Yeah, no doubt it kicks ass. As I said in my first post on it, I got this and Hinder on the same day I think and played them both back to back for ages. My love for Hinder in not well concealed, but I do actually prefer Hedley's debut to Hinder's 'Extreme Behaviour'... which is saying alot.

• 6 months later...