Durbin - Screaming Steel

Stefan

• 3 weeks later...

From blabbermouth.com:

'American Idol' Finalist JAMES DURBIN Channels IRON MAIDEN And JUDAS PRIEST On 'Screaming Steel' Title Track

Frontiers Music Srl has welcomed powerhouse vocalist James Durbin back for a multi-album deal under the moniker DURBIN.

The Santa Cruz, California native is set to unleash his latest heavy metal opus,"Screaming Steel", on February 16, 2024 and today, DURBIN shares the title track along with a killer new video.

Durbin's signature vocal prowess and commanding stage presence have earned him praise from rock and metal legends such as Steven Tyler, Sammy Hagar and Rob Halford. With four full-length albums to his name, Durbin continues to evolve as an artist, pushing the boundaries of heavy metal while staying true to its roots.

Now, with the upcoming release of "Screaming Steel", James Durbin is poised to deliver another sonic assault. If you're a fan of the classic sounds of JUDAS PRIEST, early DIO, '80s BLACK SABBATH and timeless U.S. heavy metal, brace yourself for an intense musical experience. "Screaming Steel" promises to resonate with heavy metal enthusiasts, drawing inspiration from the genre's rich heritage while maintaining a contemporary edge.

Following the success of his label debut "The Beast Awakens", which was released on February 12, 2021, Durbin has solidified his place as a force to be reckoned with in the heavy metal scene. "The Beast Awakens" showcased pure, unadulterated, headbanging heavy metal, drawing influences from classic '80s heavy metal while forging a path uniquely his own. The album received acclaim from fans of the genre and marked a triumphant return for DURBIN.

James Durbin's journey into the music industry gained widespread attention during his appearance on Season 10 of "American Idol", where he fearlessly championed heavy metal. On the finale, he shared the stage with legendary metal icons JUDAS PRIEST for unforgettable renditions of "Livin' After Midnight" and "Breaking The Law".

Throughout his career, Durbin has collaborated with an impressive array of musicians, including Stevie Wonder, Don Was, Zakk Wylde, Sheryl Crow, Tom Jones, Mick Marsof MÖTLEY CRÜE, Bob Babbitt of THE FUNK BROTHERS and STEEL PANTHER, among others.

Fans of heavy metal revivalists and classic heavy metal aficionados alike are in for a treat as Durbin continues to unleash his metal prowess upon the world.

"Screaming Steel" track list:

01. Made Of Metal
02. Screaming Steel
03. Where They Stand
04. Hallows
05. Power Of The Reaper
06. Blazing High
07. Beyond The Night
08. The Worshipper - 1897
09. Tear Them Down
10. Rebirth

Total Time: 41:15

Produced by: Aldo Lonobile
Recorded by: Aldo Lonobile, Eric J. Peterson & James Durbin
Mixed by: Aldo Lonobile
Mastered by: Aldo Lonobile

Band members:

Vocals - James Durbin (USA)
Guitars - Aldo Lonobile (Italy)
Guitars - Luca Birotto (Italy)
Bass - Mike Roberts (USA)
Drums - Marco Sacchetto (Italy)

Solos:

"Blazing High" and "Hallows" - Jadran "Conan" Gonzales (USA)
"Tear Them Down" - Taylor Washington (USA)
"Power Of The Reaper" - Jon Yadon Jr. (USA)
"Screaming Steel" and "Made Of Metal" - Dylan Rose (USA)
"Blazing High" and "Beyond The Night" – MOKSHA (USA)
"Where They Stand" - Aldo Lonobile (Italy)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I dunno what it is about this guy, but I just can't take him seriously for some reason.

It seems like his heart is in the right place n' all, but I'll pass. 

Edited by Fat Freddy
  • Like 2

Just had a listen to the album for the first time, and yeah there is nothing overly original on it, but that is really the point.

James just gets what classic metal is all about. If you didn't know any different, and his songs were thrown into a playlist with classic metal like Dio, Maiden, Helloween and Priest, you would think that it was just another classic metal band from back in the day.

I really don't know who any of the musicians are, but like James, they know exactly what they are doing to recapture that classic sound.

I don't think there is anything on here that will become an all time classic though, but for someone who likes old school trad metal and is looking for something new, I don't think you can go wrong.

As a non-American I really did not know who James was until he joined Quiet Riot, and after hearing initial songs I wasn't gonna rush out to buy the album he did with them mainly because in my mind (and I said this elsewhere on here recently) no Kevin, no QR. But after hearing the first Durbin album I picked up the QR album and both his solo albums and have been checking out some of his YouTube covers. He is quite a versatile performer (his Steelheart cover is fantastic).

I learned a long time ago to not judge singers if they broke into the industry through reality talent shows, and Erik Gronwall was the one who taught me that. I look forward to hearing more from James as he is highly talented, and a really nice bloke as well. He reminds me of Erik in a lot of ways.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved this dude's first two post-Idol albums. It's pure pop rock, but I still absolutely love songs such as this;

Sadly, for me, everything since those first two albums has been some kind of variation of a train wreck. The Quiet Riot stuff was a mess and this type of metal he's churning out now - I regret to say - is just painful to my ears. Lyrically, he may as well be singing about pasta on train tracks with a side of tree branch for all I can connect with it. Musically I find it really boring, and lyrically it's even worse. 

I've actually got the hard copies of first two CDs in my garage but it's too much hassle to go look for them. I can't remember if he wrote or at least co-wrote a lot of the stuff on those two albums, but either way it definitely sounded like the songs at least meant something to him. I'd like to hear that again rather than him trying this metal thing which really doesn't seem to suit him. If he's passionate about it, sure, go for it. I'd love to hear him doing something heavy (and good)... but with songs that actually sound like they mean something to him. This new album sounds like trash to me, I hate to say. He's undoubtedly had a very interesting life post-Idol. I'd much rather hear about that in songs rather than dragons eating reapers in balls of fiery metal or whatever shit is on this album.