Pretty Boy Floyd

CureTheSane

OK, so I bit the bullet and bought some Glam Fest tickets
Of the bands playing, Imma skip Wednesday 13 because they suck and shouldn't be on the bill anyway.
I've never really done Pretty Boy Floyd, and don't think I've ever heard any of their songs.
So that I have some kind of idea of their songs, can people who are into them here post maybe their best 6 songs likely to be played and I'll have a few listens before Thursday.

It's a long damn show with no seats for potentially 10 hours.
Was going to also skip Sisters Doll but I heard a new song yesterday and it was pretty good so I'll give them another go.
Might catch a bit of Crosson, because I've heard good things.

1217958416_FINAL-MEL-SET-TIMES-Copy.thumb.jpg.096a33850a879cdc5204028e8ed0ec00.jpg

Just get your ears on their one and only "big label" release, the debut, 'Leather Boyz With Electric Toyz.' They'll probably only play songs from that, if not the whole thing. I saw "them" (Steve Summers and some dudes) a few years ago in Sydney and it was cool, but it's not really PBF, at all. Off the top of my head, they played these tunes-

Released after the debut, but a popular tune, rightly so, I believe;

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 1

As for Glamfest, I'm a bit bummed to say I'll be missing the Sydney show due to a double booking. I've actually seen all the bands I want to see on it before, except, of course, the one I want to see most... which is Eclipse, the most un-glam band on the planet, lol. Very bummed I'll miss them, but maybe another time, I hope.

Would have loved to see the whole thing together, but oh well. The disappointing thing for me is that FP, Tuff, PBF and EZN are all just one original member and a bunch of dudes. Cassidy Paris seems decent, Crosson are dreadful and I've seen them twice to verify, Sister's Doll are very average and I saw them once too, and as noted, W13 is a skip. No idea who Atomic Riot is, but as noted, the only one I'd really love to see is Eclipse. Disappointed there's no side show in Sydney with just Eclipse alone. 

Cassidy has got Wicked Smile as her backing band.

Atomic Riot is a Victoria act, they play once a blue moon. They got some material on either Spotify. or YouTube.

The honest answer is that you just need to listen to their debut album, Leather boyz.

There are some other good songs through their career, especially on their most recent one Public enemies (mostly because the songs were written the same time as the debut), and you will probably find that the bulk of their set is just the debut album anyway.

So they're kind of like Tuff, with only one real realease :)

Presume Steve Summers still sings in the band?
I have heard some of the Shameless stuff.

May have heard a song or two in the past I guess, the albujm rings a bell.

Will take the advice and listen to Leather Boyz and go from there, thanks.

11 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

So they're kind of like Tuff, with only one real realease :)

Presume Steve Summers still sings in the band?
I have heard some of the Shameless stuff.

May have heard a song or two in the past I guess, the albujm rings a bell.

Will take the advice and listen to Leather Boyz and go from there, thanks.

Well Tuff actually had two releases back in the day, and both were brilliant. I may actually put Religious Fix first.

Basically PBF trod water for years releasing mostly demos, re-records, covers and one new album of new material which was ok but compared to the debut it really didn't have anything overly memorable on it. As I say, Public enemies, their most recent album is all older songs with a couple of covers, but all properly recorded rather than the weak sounding demos, which is a shame as some of those songs that would have made up their second album were actually great.

I will say, if you can get it I would also give the song Slam Dunk a listen. It was written by Kevin Dubrow and featured on a soundtrack and the Japanese issue of Leather boyz, and the later reissue on Perris. Actually as good as anything on the debut for me, and much better than the version Quiet Riot recorded years later.

Well for me Fist First/Religious Fix is very average. And from memory only 8 songs?
And the best was Better Off Dead, which is a cover isn't it?

Anyway, PALED in comparison to What Comes Around

Hoping that all these bands that are playing 45 minute sets don't decide to play any cover songs.

9 minutes ago, CureTheSane said:

Well for me Fist First/Religious Fix is very average. And from memory only 8 songs?
And the best was Better Off Dead, which is a cover isn't it?

Anyway, PALED in comparison to What Comes Around

Hoping that all these bands that are playing 45 minute sets don't decide to play any cover songs.

Religious fix (Europe) was longer than Fist First (USA), 11 tracks vs 9. Only cover on it that I remember was Sixteen tons, which was good.

But Tied to the bells was easily my fave song on that album, but Daddies money, Follow the loser, Better off dead and God bless this mess were all great tunes.

There were some great songs on What comes around, and I do love it, but by the time it came out there was nothing that new or original and we'd heard it all before and Religious fix/Fist first was something different. It wasn't the jumping on the modern rock/grunge cash grab that some label it, but it certainly wasn't hair metal either.

Love 'Religious Fix' but the debut is basically hard (?) glam rock perfection. Love that album. But I agree that there's some great stuff on 'Religious Fix.' Namely all the songs you mention, except '16 tons,' which was always a skip for me. 

12 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

Well for me Fist First/Religious Fix is very average. 

PALED in comparison to What Comes Around

This is how I've always felt as well.  I'm gonna take another listen to those songs that the Captain mentioned, see if something clicks. 

Edited by tobi is an animal

16 hours ago, tobi is an animal said:

This is how I've always felt as well.  I'm gonna take another listen to those songs that the Captain mentioned, see if something clicks. 

Yeah I will as well.

Yep it was 16 tons that was the cover and I do like it.

Other stand out was better off dead and god bless this mess was mid.

But maybe back then my expectations weren't met, expecting WCAGA II 

So I'll listen again with fresh ears.

Steevi hasn't done much since as far as I know. 

Some shameless guest slots and I'm metal sludge I guess.

Bit of a shame.

1 hour ago, CureTheSane said:

Yeah I will as well.

Yep it was 16 tons that was the cover and I do like it.

Other stand out was better off dead and god bless this mess was mid.

But maybe back then my expectations weren't met, expecting WCAGA II 

So I'll listen again with fresh ears.

Steevi hasn't done much since as far as I know. 

Some shameless guest slots and I'm metal sludge I guess.

Bit of a shame.

Best thing he's done since first couple of Shameless albums;

c4c526_565616dabaa54283a3d9ab078b86e349~

• Like 1