Anybody else fucking dig this song???

Leykis101

• 2023 Gold Donors

Here's a couple of Aussie bands you might not know Cody.

Both created by Legendary Aussie muso, Joe Camilleri.

Back in 1979 "Jo Jo Zep and the Falcons" had two huge hits that I'm sure all Aussies here have fond memories of (I've posted them first).

Then, in the late 80s/early 90s he wisely decided to form a band with the equally Legendary Vicka and Linda Bull called "The Black Sorrows". Another much loved Aussie band.

I don't think many non Aussies would have heard of "Jo Jo Zep and the Falcons", but "The Black Sorrows" may have had some international success, I don't know, but what I do know, is that "Never Let Me Go" is a kick arse track!

These eight tracks were a huge part of the soundtrack of my life.

Edited by Darkstone
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Here's a couple of Aussie bands you might not know Cody.

Both created by Legendary Aussie muso, Joe Camilleri.

Back in 1979 "Jo Jo Zep and the Falcons" had two huge hits that I'm sure all Aussies here have fond memories of (I've posted them first).

Then, in the late 80s/early 90s he wisely decided to form a band with the equally Legendary Vicka and Linda Bull called "The Black Sorrows", Another much loved Aussie band.

I don't think many non Aussies would have heard of "Jo Jo Zep and the Falcons", but "The Black Sorrows" may have had some international success, I don't know, but what I do know, is that "Never Let Me Go" is a kick arse track!

These eight tracks were a huge part of the soundtrack of my life.

Great bands live. Even when they ( Jo Jo) had Wilbur Wilde blowing the saxophone.

Jo Jo has been going since 1976.

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors

I've decided to hijack this thread and turn it into an obscure Aussie 80s thread.

Of course, these tracks won't be obscure to the Aussies here and I'm sure will be fondly remembered, but I would be very interested to know if these tracks did anything overseas. 

... and yes, technically/allegedly, Jenny Morris and Sharon O'Neill are from New Zealand, but down here we have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy about that.

Edited by Darkstone

• 2023 Gold Donors
17 minutes ago, auslander said:

I see your 6 and raise you 6 :)

What a great song and sexy as hell singer in genuine one hit wonder group Maybe Dolls!

Mate, I was this close to posting "Nervous Kid", but I thought i'd stick to the 80s.

Great call though, and yeah, she's as hot as fuck. 

Never got into Nick Barker.

The Paul Norton track is a great time machine for me.

The "Mondo Rock" and "Real Life" tracks are beyond Epic.

"Do Re Mi" weren't really my cup of tea, but "Man Overboard" is a cool track. 

Fast forward to 1991 and Deborah Conway from "Do Re Mi" pulls this magnificent masterpiece of a track from out of nowhere.

If I know to cut and paste, I will put up Wendy & the Rocketts, Wendy is still with Paul Norton ( lucky )

Sad , Aussies, no one  has put up Joe Dolce as yet,

Can honestly say Real Life are the only known one of any of those, I have heard a few of them from my mate Lance who hails from Hobart, and of course his greatness Roxas,

• 2023 Gold Donors
4 hours ago, Leykis101 said:

Can honestly say Real Life are the only known one of any of those

That's why MY thread is about obscure Aussie stuff. 

It's mine now.

Edited by Darkstone

• 2023 Gold Donors
12 minutes ago, Mr.AOR said:

Nice one mate. I mentioned  my three favourite tracks from these guys earlier in the thread.

This wasn't one of them, but great reference. 

Is there anything you don't know?

On 12/22/2021 at 4:04 PM, Darkstone said:

"The Church" are great. "Under the Milky Way" is Epic.

The "Uncanny X-Men" were a bit of a flash in the pan.

I do however, have great memories of...

"50 Years".

"Every Body Wants to Work".

"Party".

23 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Mate, I was this close to posting "Nervous Kid", but I thought i'd stick to the 80s.

Great call though, and yeah, she's as hot as fuck. 

Never got into Nick Barker.

The Paul Norton track is a great time machine for me.

The "Mondo Rock" and "Real Life" tracks are beyond Epic.

"Do Re Mi" weren't really my cup of tea, but "Man Overboard" is a cool track. 

Fast forward to 1991 and Deborah Conway from "Do Re Mi" pulls this magnificent masterpiece of a track from out of nowhere.

Yes, golf will never be the same.

Do you remember Ratcat or the Hummingbirds? I always thought they kinda did a pop punk sound before that was even a thing.

• 2023 Gold Donors
46 minutes ago, auslander said:

Yes, golf will never be the same.

Do you remember Ratcat or the Hummingbirds? I always thought they kinda did a pop punk sound before that was even a thing.

Yeah, I remember both.

Not a fan. I hated Ratcat.

Edited by Darkstone

• 2023 Gold Donors

Aztec Camera - Somewhere In My Heart.

Not an Aussie track, but an obscure 80s one nonetheless and it shouldn't be.

This track sort of fell through the cracks. It should be popping up on classic radio stations, but it isn't. It's a shame.

I really love this one.

• 2023 Gold Donors

Rather than focusing on "obscure Aussie 80s tracks", I've decided to turn this into an "obscure general 80s tracks" thread. 

After all, it's my thread now, so I can make the rules.

These two magnificent tracks don't get anywhere near the recognition they deserve.

Pure 80s.

Edited by Darkstone

• 2023 Gold Donors

Basically, any iconic, memorable 80s track (more along the Pop lines) that we don't hear very often these days.

As for the change, don't question it, just accept it.

Edited by Darkstone
E
  • Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
2 hours ago, auslander said:

Huge hit in Australia around 1988. Before they became a dance band.

Yeah, a great track, but it still gets (deservedly) a decent amount of radio airplay.

• 2023 Gold Donors
21 hours ago, auslander said:

Hmmm not so sure about this change. It's too broad. And I'm not sure on the definition of "obscure"...

Anyway, here's a couple I think are brilliant: 

Yeah, I think you may be right mate, it's too broad, so I've decided to make this (my) thread exclusively Australian.

Something like "Aussie Pop Songs You May Not know".

Including the 80s, 90s and 70s.

Of course, all the Aussies here will know these tracks, but I'm always interested to know If these tracks are known overseas.

Here's a great Aussie track from the late 90s.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Darkstone said:

Yeah, I think you may be right mate, it's too broad, so I've decided to make this (my) thread exclusively Australian.

Something like "Aussie Pop Songs You May Not know".

Including the 80s, 90s and 70s.

Of course, all the Aussies here will know these tracks, but I'm always interested to know If these tracks are known overseas.

Here's a great Aussie track from the late 90s.

The bloke in this clip and Justin ( 1 singer of Pegazus ) became comedians.

I was never really a fan of the band but I always really liked this one track. It's very melodic and the lyrics are heartfelt and special - about a divorced dad missing his little daughter.

8 hours ago, auslander said:

I was never really a fan of the band but I always really liked this one track. It's very melodic and the lyrics are heartfelt and special - about a divorced dad missing his little daughter.

Frankston boys, telling people they going be  big  as Limp Bizik

Edited by Doggy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2023 Gold Donors

7 hours ago, Mr.AOR said:

Only one album "In My World" from this Aussie band, but it's a great album...

I haven't heard "Haunting Me" for years!

It featured in the soap opera "Neighbours".

My Mum loved it so much, she bought "In My World" on cassette. 

I completely forgot about it until now. Cheers.