Funk Metal is a genre!

auslander

I've been looking for some discussion on Funk Metal, one of my guilty pleasures. It is a genre and shouldn't just be lobbed in with hard rock and AOR. Yes, it is!!!

Anyway is anyone else a fan of bands like:

Faith No More (early stuff)

Mordred

Living Colour

Dan Reed Network

24/7 Spyz

Electric Boys

Extreme

Mind Funk

Ugly Kid Joe

Scatterbrain (comedy band)

Mother's Finest (80s stuff)

There are more...

Edited by auslander
Spelling

1 hour ago, Mr.AOR said:

Absolutely love DRN seen them blow away Bon Jovi when they were supporting them back in the day.

Another album i love is It's Alive - ST album from 1991...

I have their Earthquake Visions album from 1993 but haven't been able to find that debut for sale. One day...

12 hours ago, auslander said:

From their self-titled debut in 1992. Funk Metal with 'tude.

This was a killer 1 off record and I am sure you know these guys became Goldfinger, similar to this but more pop punk than metal like this ELH record.

Can't agree more with being smitten with DRN.

Here are a few others, some old, some new, some borrowed, some blue and some teeter on the "metal" label but still kick bottom.

Love On Ice came from the PNW, Portland, Oregon and they dropped their one and only album Nude on Interscope in 1992. Probably not a lot of love for this outside of the left coast but there should be as its a solid effort.

Decided to break the post up to avoid it being too cumbersome to load.

White Trash, well you know this one I am sure. Why more funky then metal but still groovy af and worth a listen or 10. Singer sounds a lot like the Tora Tora singer to me tossed in a blender with the Cherry Poppin Daddies.

Speaking of the Daddies or the Cherry Poppin Daddies depending on which era of the bands evolution you are listening to I thought them worth a mention as like DNR the Daddies, who many only know the Zoot Suite Riot track during that whole Swingers phase, but they were doing that with metal and punk and funk since the 80's and doin it well. The earlier stuff is certainly funkier then the current more ska flared stuff but again its nice.

Of note saw the Daddies open for DNR on DNR's The Heat tour at the Roseland theater in lovely Portland Oregon on New Years Eve no less. I did see them a handful of other times later in life at various Seattle clubs and on any night they ruled and it was always awesome no matter the venue size they literally would have 10 guys onstage.

4 hours ago, martinsane said:

Decided to break the post up to avoid it being too cumbersome to load.

White Trash, well you know this one I am sure. Why more funky then metal but still groovy af and worth a listen or 10. Singer sounds a lot like the Tora Tora singer to me tossed in a blender with the Cherry Poppin Daddies.

Mate, you are speaking my language and you must love old school Funk Metal like I do!

50 minutes ago, Doggy said:

Darkstone, you remember Def Ryme ?

I'm not darkstone but defryme are cool. Pure Killer is a real jam I still love now. I guess they'd be called "nu-metal" these days but they were well before that and I agree they are funky.

4 hours ago, martinsane said:

Can't agree more with being smitten with DRN.

Here are a few others, some old, some new, some borrowed, some blue and some teeter on the "metal" label but still kick bottom.

Love On Ice came from the PNW, Portland, Oregon and they dropped their one and only album Nude on Interscope in 1992. Probably not a lot of love for this outside of the left coast but there should be as its a solid effort.

Ok now I must find this cd. Awesome stuff.

A pretty obscure one I think but I have it. Love the snotty sound of the singer. From 1991, Ignorance on their album The Confident Rat.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, auslander said:

Criminally unknown, KingOfTheHill with their album from 1991 and this, their best track "I Do U". Glam Funk? 

Yes, can't believe I forgot about this one.

This is/was King of the Hill before they name changed for the record company.

2 hours ago, auslander said:

Ok now I must find this cd. Awesome stuff.

I so wish they would have done more as I did rather enjoy that entire album.

That said they did sneak onto the Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey Soundtrack.

Scat Opera - Four Gone Conclusion (1992). This British Funk Metal band had a cool sound. Again, the vocalist was a standout, even though we all know Funk is about the bass. This is my favourite track off the album.

I know this isn't what anyone in this topic is looking for, but I always thought the first couple Korn albums had a lot of funk influence. I remember one of those guys categorizing their music as "aggressive funk" or something like that.

3 hours ago, Eric3 said:

I know this isn't what anyone in this topic is looking for, but I always thought the first couple Korn albums had a lot of funk influence. I remember one of those guys categorizing their music as "aggressive funk" or something like that.

They certainly have Funk baselines on many tracks. There definitely are links between Funk Metal and alternative metal and nu metal.

One of the rare (mostly) black bands to play in our genre, Mother's Finest, with their album Black Radio Won't Play This Record (1992) and this smoking track "Like a Negro".