Songwriting

PetraGirl86

A friend of mine has a friend and he wants me to try and write a song. Thing is, I'm definitely no Bob Hartman, so how many of you guys have written songs and can give me advice? He said I should try and write a Christian song so I'll be taking a lot of advice and inspiration from guys like Bob, and once I wrote a song that Foreigner totally could've sung. Never tried writing a Christian song and 9/10 times my songwriting goes in the trash because it's too cheesy or doesn't flow right. All I have to do is come up with a poem sort of thing while my friend's friend adds his own music cause he has a band. Does anyone have any tips or ideas that have helped them in writing songs? 
-Belle

7 minutes ago, AlphaMale said:

Why wouldn't I want to help you? I hold no grudges with you. We're all a family around here!

Idk you seemed pretty angry in your last message plus I thought you would just come on here and laugh at me. I don't hold grudges either though so that's good you don't. : ) 

Edited by PetraGirl86

• 2023 Gold Donors

"Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs" (a legendary Aussie band) released a song in 1964 called "Mashed Potato". It was a cover, but still managed to reach top 10 nationally at the time. When it comes to songwriting, sometimes less is more. 

10 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

I'll have to find the christain song I wrote a long time ago. It was called "Spread The Word".

Oh shit mate, if you don't find this and share it I'm going to block you. ;) lol. Would love to see it. 

As I'm too lazy to have ever pursued a musical instrument, I can't validly call what I've done song writing, but I too have written hundreds of sets of lyrics. I had the music track in my head every time, so I guess it's songwriting. I just haven't ever been able to actually record anything. Haven't done it for a few years - probably well over a decade to be honest. But if I got the music tracks I had in my head with my lyrics, I'd have no doubt there'd be some delightful stuff in there. Maybe one day. Who knows? If I ever get un-lazy... :(

Definitely not written any christian songs, though. ;)

I'm a bit curious why your friend wants you to write a song? 

10 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

I have written plenty. All genres. Been writing since I was around 12. I'm 47 now. Have binders full of lyrics.

mostly steel panther songs ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

I'm a bit curious why your friend wants you to write a song? 

Uh idk living in my town you don't get much to do, he doesn't live here but I've probably given him a good enough idea of how boring it is, and he's always trying to think of things for me to do. He wants me to challenge myself and I'm good at writing so I'll give it a shot. This spring I'll start on learning the guitar. 

If I had actually gotten good musically, a lot of these songs would have music and lyrics. As Geoff said, every song has music behind it but it's in my head. And I've tried many times to learn to play guitar/bass and I just never could.

• 2 years later...

improvising

a christian power metal song(in american)

(i wanted to do a Kamelot copy band) in Denmark.

but quit my dream.

but i can try:

oh god where are you now

i need you in my life

because lately you havent answered my Prayers.

So where are you to find?

i know you exist.

i am  not weak

so can you help me?

end