CIRCUS OF POWER - Four (2017)

AlphaMale

CIRCUS+OF+POWER+-+Four+-+front.jpg

One of the grittiest American bands from the late '80s CIRCUS OF POWER, are back with "Four", their first new studio album in a quarter of a Century due on December 8th.

A cult act of '80s and '90s biker rock, vocalist and songwriter Alex Mitchell has assembled a fresh new lineup that includes the talents of former KYUSS Brant Bjork to command the drumming duties on fourteen brand new street rock anthems.

CIRCUS OF POWER was the personification of East Coast sleazy rock wayof living during the late '80s and early '90s. Formed in the mid-1980s during the burgeoning New York City club scene, the band was signed to RCA and promptly released its seminal, self-titled debut album.

Their brand of bluesy, bad-ass biker rock set the perfect backdrop for their lyrical swagger and stories of debauchery and depravity. A live EP (1989's "Still Alive") and second full-length (1990's "Vices") continued their musical tradition and thrust the band towards new heights, securing major tours and MTV airplay. Lineup and label changes led to the third full-length album, 1993's "Magic And Madness". Released on Columbia, the LP ushered in a more melodic sound for the band while losing none of the grit that fans had grown to expect.

CIRCUS+OF+POWER+-+Four+-+disc.jpg

After almost 25 years, CIRCUS OF POWER's sound & style pretty remain unadulterated, mixing that THE CULT American-era song skeleton with some kind of early GUNS N' ROSES swagger.

Stretching out into bold new territories, while keeping true to the ever identifiable, classic CIRCUS OF POWER sound, tracks like "Rock Show", "Hard Drivin' Sister" and "American Monster" are sure to excite fans, old and new.

One of my favorites is "Fast and Easy", driven by KISS-meets-URIAH HEEP licks come in along with the pedal-pushing energy. Alex Mitchell's perfectly weathered voice invokes the sense of a man who has seen it all and ready to do it again, which really embodies the spirit of the reactivated group.

There's also tracks such as 'Half A Dozen Roses' which bring to mind ex-Guns GILBY CLARKE solo works, and grovy heavy numbers like 'Love Sick Blues'.

CIRCUS+OF+POWER+-+Four+-+back.jpg

"Four" is a solid retro styled, street-ready rocking album and a roaring message that the riff-heavy credibility CIRCUS OF POWER have returned.

Long-term fans will find a lot to like on here. I remember when the band hit MTV back in the 80s there was a perceived danger element due to the members appearance as tattooed bikers, but it is safe to say that those days are gone with all the things we see every day now.

CIRCUS OF POWER 2017 have crafted an album of rawk with fresh elements to create a cohesive collection of songs to please a wider audience.

01 - Fast And Easy
02 - Hard Drivin' Sister
03 - Rock Show
04 - Princess Of Mars
05 - Half A Dozen Roses
06 - Sin City Boogie
07 - American Monster
08 - See The Sun
09 - Flying Into L.A.
10 - Hot Rod Girls
11 - Love Sick Blues
12 - The Tea Song
13 - Blood At Standing Rock
14 - Come Git Some

Alex Mitchell - Vocals
Billy Tsounis - Lead Guitar
John Sharkey - Bass

BUY IT !
circusofpower.bigcartel.com/product/four

This has just made me realise I never actually ever got around to buying the debut album as Vices was the only album I ever owned for years. I bought Magic and Madness and Still alive (back in 2008 according to Amazon) and totally forgot I even owned them, ha ha.

I do love Vices though, so just ordered the debut while I remember, and will pick this one up too.

Vices is a great album, can't remember if I ever listened to their other releases but I am looking forward to this. Have to check out their albums again.

On 12/9/2017 at 3:55 PM, AlphaMale said:

One of the grittiest American bands from the late '80s CIRCUS OF POWER, are back with "Four", their first new studio album in a quarter of a Century due on December 8th.

A cult act of '80s and '90s biker rock, vocalist and songwriter Alex Mitchell has assembled a fresh new lineup that includes the talents of former KYUSS Brant Bjork to command the drumming duties on fourteen brand new street rock anthems.

Quote for Geoff who hadn't heard the term before. :)

It's been awhile since I listened to these guys, but I recall liking the debut and the follow up Vices being solid.  From the write up it seems like only the singer remains from original lineup and unfortunately this first track sounds average to me