New song from Testament

eyesis

Very tempting, but I'm determined not to listen to anything from this one until I have the CD in my hands. (Well, CD player, obviously. ;))

• 2 weeks later...

Now if only the Anthrax/Testament/Death Angel tour currently doing the rounds in the US would come to the UK ...

Now if only the Anthrax/Testament/Death Angel tour currently doing the rounds in the US would come to the UK ...

Ooh yes, that would be nice. Even nicer if they left Anthrax at home... :whistle:

Bit workmanlike the new disc IMO. Their last 2 have been stunning. "The Gathering" and "The Formation..." are 9/10 discs for me, right up there with their best. This one has some obvious weaker spots, and i don't like the combination of bluesier/subtler guitar combined with the heavy stuff. Nice dynamics, just not crunchy enough. Good, but a little off what I expected...

Bit workmanlike the new disc IMO. Their last 2 have been stunning. "The Gathering" and "The Formation..." are 9/10 discs for me, right up there with their best. This one has some obvious weaker spots, and i don't like the combination of bluesier/subtler guitar combined with the heavy stuff. Nice dynamics, just not crunchy enough. Good, but a little off what I expected...

For me, 'Formation...' was 7/10 at best, maybe less. Hopefully the new one will be more to my tastes.

Ooh yes, that would be nice. Even nicer if they left Anthrax at home... :whistle:

Oh, shush - Anthrax are a great live band ... you'll be 'Among The Living' before you know it (didja see what I did there? Didja?)

Oh, shush - Anthrax are a great live band ... you'll be 'Among The Living' before you know it (didja see what I did there? Didja?)

Very clever.

No problem with Anthrax, I've just never really been a fan and would rather Death Angel and Testament played longer sets and left them out.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, 'Formation...' was 7/10 at best, maybe less. Hopefully the new one will be more to my tastes.

The new one's more melodic. Plus the production is not that great IMO. The title-track is pretty epic, and on a few numbers they really nail it, but it's patchy. I've played it a lot now as it just doesn't stack-up to the last 2 discs at all, with the first 2 songs being truly average.

I dig the new album. Sure it's not as great as Formation and isn't as fast and thrashy as The Gathering but to my ears Testament is still putting together pretty good music and in the case of several songs great music. My faves so far are "Rise Up", "Native Blood", "Dark Roots of Earth", "A Day in the Death", "True American Hate", "Throne of Thorns" and although it took a few listens "Cold Embrace". Also the bonus tracks that came with the deluxe edition with the DVD is worth grabbing. They totally reworked The Scorpions "Animal Magnetism" and even though the cover of Maiden's "Powerslave" is straightforward it does kick ass. Reviews do seem to be mixed on this disc with most loving it and some thinking it's average and a select few thinking it's crap which I don't get at all. I actually read a review that said something to the effect that Testament has crapped all over the Metal community with this release. I have to assume that the melodicness has caught some off guard but if they are fans of the band they would remember albums and songs througout their history that had melody.Hell that's the thing I've always loved about them is how melodic Eric and Alex's playing always was and is and Alex is unlike any other thrash metal guitar player. To me he's the best hands down. I guess my only complaint about this cd is the songs themselves. Not that any of them are bad but when compared to other releases there aren't as many classic songs but then again all of them are really good. I'm just happy this band is still together and putting out new music and playing live. Long live Testament!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I found that the new Testament album took a lot of listens, but was well worth it in the end. No filler, around 6 really good songs and one killer tune. Great thrash album with really good guitar solos throughout. Much better than 'Formation...' for me, although I am wondering if I should have played that one a few more times. :rolleyes: Will probably end up being my top album of the year, if not it will definitely be in the top three.

My killer chooooon from the album:

My brother (a man who loves all things Nirvana) recently coughed to liking Testament ... perhaps the world really IS going to end next week?

My brother (a man who loves all things Nirvana) recently coughed to liking Testament ... perhaps the world really IS going to end next week?

It seems likely.

BTW, have you heard the Testament album yet? You really should...

It seems likely.

BTW, have you heard the Testament album yet? You really should...

I will ... as soon as you buy it ;)