The new L.A. Guns "Hollywood Forever"

AlphaMale

First spin through of this and aside from 2 of the 1st 3 songs being horrible, the rest of the album is pretty good. Anybody checking this out yet?

L.A.%2BGuns%2B-%2BHollywood%2BForever.gif

01. Hollywood Forever

02. You Better Not Love Me

03. Eel Pie

04. Sweet Mystery

05. Burn

06. Vine Street Shimmy

07. Dirty Black Night

08. Underneath The Sun

09. Queenie

10. Crazy Tango

11. Venus Bomb

12. I Won't Play

13. Requiem (Hollywood Forever)

14. Arana Negra (Black Spider) [bonus]

I've only spun it once too after being inundated with new CDs but mate I am really surprised by the comment about 2 of the first 3 sucking. I assume you obviously mean 'You better not love me' is awesome and 'Eel pie' is very questionable (what the hell were they thinking putting this so soon in the running order of the CD?). But you mean to say you don't like the title track? I thought it was a good one. The requiem version is no good and I don't like the foreign track either. But the rest is very good.

Like I said in my first impression, 'You better not love me,' 'Sweet mystery' and especially 'Dirty Black Night' really stood out for me on first listen, but I'm dying for my 2nd spin. Consistent band with Lewis on vocals and they've delivered the good here.

I've only spun it once too after being inundated with new CDs but mate I am really surprised by the comment about 2 of the first 3 sucking. I assume you obviously mean 'You better not love me' is awesome and 'Eel pie' is very questionable (what the hell were they thinking putting this so soon in the running order of the CD?). But you mean to say you don't like the title track? I thought it was a good one. The requiem version is no good and I don't like the foreign track either. But the rest is very good.

Like I said in my first impression, 'You better not love me,' 'Sweet mystery' and especially 'Dirty Black Night' really stood out for me on first listen, but I'm dying for my 2nd spin. Consistent band with Lewis on vocals and they've delivered the good here.

I worded it improperly. Upon a 2nd spin, "Hollywood Forever" sounded much better than the first spin. Only "Eel Pie" is horrific. The rest is pretty good with my favorites being "You Better Not Love Me", "Dirty Black Night", and "Requiem". A few that were so-so are "Crazy Tango", "Queenie", and "I Won't Play". And the pointless foreign track lowers the score for this also. In regards to "Requiem", I like it until they go into the "Hollywood Forever" reprise which was totally unnecessary.

A definite step backwards from the awesome "Tales From The Strip" IMO.

I worded it improperly. Upon a 2nd spin, "Hollywood Forever" sounded much better than the first spin. Only "Eel Pie" is horrific. The rest is pretty good with my favorites being "You Better Not Love Me", "Dirty Black Night", and "Requiem". A few that were so-so are "Crazy Tango", "Queenie", and "I Won't Play". And the pointless foreign track lowers the score for this also. In regards to "Requiem", I like it until they go into the "Hollywood Forever" reprise which was totally unnecessary.

That so called "pointless foreign track" is actually a marketing ploy. L.A. Guns (Phil) is planning on playing Latin America and Spanish speaking countries this summer. It was recorded to get airplay in some of these countries where L.A. Guns will play this summer/fall. It has apparently worked as it has already charted in many of these Spanish speaking countries.

Though I don't really like this song... You can't blame a band for marketing itself any way it can. It seems like this may work out really well for the band in the long run.

I think this one's a good album but kinda sloppy compared to 'Tales'. With 14 tracks and eliminated 2 weakest tracks, I probably will rate this around 75%, which is still a good sleaze album overall. My strong picks here are 'Hollywood Forever', 'Vine St Shimmy', 'Dirty Black Night', 'Underneath The Sun', 'Queenie', and 'Venus Bomb'. The obvious fillers are 'Eel Pie', Burn', 'Requiem', and the last track. Still have mixed feelings for 'You Better Not Love Me', but I do think it's at least a 7.5/10, the same goes to 'Crazy Tango' and 'I Won't Play'.

But yeah, interesting album and let's see how it fares on the second spin

That so called "pointless foreign track" is actually a marketing ploy. L.A. Guns (Phil) is planning on playing Latin America and Spanish speaking countries this summer. It was recorded to get airplay in some of these countries where L.A. Guns will play this summer/fall. It has apparently worked as it has already charted in many of these Spanish speaking countries.

Though I don't really like this song... You can't blame a band for marketing itself any way it can. It seems like this may work out really well for the band in the long run.

The song isn't awful but those "da-de-da" background vocals are horrendous.

• 6 months later...