leather interior

66 mustang

STP made a pretty good interior leather cleaner. Haven't had leather interior for a couple years... I assume STP still makes it.

• 2 months later...

well, I need a little advice. you know I was having a problem with my interior. I switched to good ol' Armor All because I've had luck with it in the past also. Well same thing is happening. the seat become tacky and I don't know what to do to fix this. Maybe it is cheap leather or something?? the wife's car doesn't do this at all.

well, I need a little advice. you know I was having a problem with my interior. I switched to good ol' Armor All because I've had luck with it in the past also. Well same thing is happening. the seat become tacky and I don't know what to do to fix this. Maybe it is cheap leather or something?? the wife's car doesn't do this at all.

You never mentioned what the problem was in your original post. Knowing now that you had a tacky residue helps. I think what happened is the first cleaner you used left a residue that you didn't get completely removed. Then when you used the armor all you still had the residue on there from the original cleaner. I would suggest using ivory soap (or whatever soap I suppose, I just happened to use ivory) mixed w/warm water to get the original left over residue off then hit it with the armor all. I've been using armor all for decades on all sorts of leather seats with zero problems. I have had problem like you mentioned when I have used leather cleaners that were sold to me with a new car package and the soap/warm water worked great. Hope that helps. :)

You never mentioned what the problem was in your original post. Knowing now that you had a tacky residue helps. I think what happened is the first cleaner you used left a residue that you didn't get completely removed. Then when you used the armor all you still had the residue on there from the original cleaner. I would suggest using ivory soap (or whatever soap I suppose, I just happened to use ivory) mixed w/warm water to get the original left over residue off then hit it with the armor all. I've been using armor all for decades on all sorts of leather seats with zero problems. I have had problem like you mentioned when I have used leather cleaners that were sold to me with a new car package and the soap/warm water worked great. Hope that helps. :)

I did that yesterday with some dish detergent but it is pretty cheap detergent. I may go with something stronger. funny thing is that the back seats don't seem to do this but then again I don't really sit back there. so next pretty day I will use a better soap cleaner and redo the armor all.

thanks, I've never had this problem. with the mustang it didn't have leather seat but vinyl and years and years of cleaning them I've never had problems

I'm wondering if the dealer didn't cause this problem. I've scrubbed the passanger seat and about have it fixed. it is a very different shade of gray now. I wonder if the dealer didn't put something on the seats that shined it but also was a bit of color in it too, to make the seats look very new. seat has no shine to it at all. And now that I look at the driver seat what I thought was maybe the leather starting to peel looks more like the layer of whatever is on the seat coming off and once I scrub it it will look all one color and even.