David Lee Roth's first solo band

66 mustang

Without Roth, as talented as the likes of Sheehan and Vai are, the band would have been no bigger than Vai as a solo artist or Mr Big and their one hit ballad.

So really, who was the weak link? The guy who made them a huge success and is a 1000 times more of a showman than pretty much anyone in the music industry, or the guys who are technically brilliant, but are pretty much cult artists who couldnt sell as many solo albums together as Roth could on his own.

Without Roth, as talented as the likes of Sheehan and Vai are, the band would have been no bigger than Vai as a solo artist or Mr Big and their one hit ballad.

So really, who was the weak link? The guy who made them a huge success and is a 1000 times more of a showman than pretty much anyone in the music industry, or the guys who are technically brilliant, but are pretty much cult artists who couldnt sell as many solo albums together as Roth could on his own.

I agree 100%!!!

I loved everything about DLR at the time and am thankful that Van Halen continued with Hagar coz we got more output as a result whilst the scene was still strong and the guys interested in proving a point and making good music. Funny thing now is that I can listen to 5150 and OU812 way more than Eat Em & Smile and Skyscraper (this one is rubbish). 5150 is the one that stands out for me from those 4 albums as the one that really holds up but had I had 2 tickets back in the day, say '88 and DLR and Van Halen were appearing on the same night and I had to chose 1.... I would have gone to see DLR.

I loved everything about DLR at the time and am thankful that Van Halen continued with Hagar coz we got more output as a result whilst the scene was still strong and the guys interested in proving a point and making good music. Funny thing now is that I can listen to 5150 and OU812 way more than Eat Em & Smile and Skyscraper (this one is rubbish). 5150 is the one that stands out for me from those 4 albums as the one that really holds up but had I had 2 tickets back in the day, say '88 and DLR and Van Halen were appearing on the same night and I had to chose 1.... I would have gone to see DLR.

I did see DLR live on his only tour of Australia with Vai and it's one of the best live shows i have seen.

I am way more a fan of Hagar era VH that with Roth. They are two different animals though. That being said, I would have been WAY more excited if VH had gotten Sammy back in the mix for a new album. I will always choose 5150, ou812, FUCK, and Balance over anything Roth released, solo or in VH.