Black Veil Brides: "Set the World on Fire" review

My review of the genre-mashing Black Veil Brides: "Set the World on Fire" is now available over at Hardrock Haven. Click the link below to check it out:

Black Veil Brides review

In a word, I like it (OK, that was 3 words).

The album is dogshit and this band are only getting attention because for some reason Kerrang! like them. They are a total embarrassment to the bands of today that are bringing back the 80's sound. Is a shame they don't spend some of the time they invest in getting glammed-up in actually writing decent songs, as so far they have written not a single passable tune. Oh, and they played at Download in the rain and all their make-up ran and they kept falling over, and the singer was fucking shit.

The album is dogshit and this band are only getting attention because for some reason Kerrang! like them. They are a total embarrassment to the bands of today that are bringing back the 80's sound. Is a shame they don't spend some of the time they invest in getting glammed-up in actually writing decent songs, as so far they have written not a single passable tune. Oh, and they played at Download in the rain and all their make-up ran and they kept falling over, and the singer was fucking shit.

Seems a tad harsh, perhaps? Maybe? Wow.

Tim, to quote the movie True Grit, "You do not varnish your opinions." :P While I understand your hatred for the debut (which I consider passable but nothing more), this new CD, while far from perfect (a new lead vocalist is definitely needed) is a decent blend of '80s glam and modern hard rock/metal. They haven't written a single passable tune, you say? And this coming from the guy who adores Job For a Cowboy... :rolleyes:

Tim, to quote the movie True Grit, "You do not varnish your opinions." :P While I understand your hatred for the debut (which I consider passable but nothing more), this new CD, while far from perfect (a new lead vocalist is definitely needed) is a decent blend of '80s glam and modern hard rock/metal. They haven't written a single passable tune, you say? And this coming from the guy who adores Job For a Cowboy... :rolleyes:

This is why I should never go back to journalism (I used to do it too, believe it or not!), am too bitter and twisted these days! The production KILLED the debut stone-dead so is hard to have any opinion on an album of mush, but I have heard this one and it's even more commercial if anything and any pretence at modern metal is long gone. But they desperately need some decent riffs and quality songs (they should listen to AVENGED SEVENFOLD'S "City of Evil" for how to nail the modern/retro sound perfectly) as this album sounds like an even-safer-and-more-polished version of BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE, just without the good tunes.

I read an interview with the vocalist who said he was an outcast growing-up and was bullied. Good. People who make music as uninspired as this should be bullied.

I read an interview with the vocalist who said he was an outcast growing-up and was bullied. Good. People who make music as uninspired as this should be bullied.

:lol: You're a marvel, Tim! That truly made me laugh. ;)

I'm yet to hear this, but I assume by all descriptions that I'll actually like it plenty. :)

heard it once couple days ago, not bad at all, they're a pretty good mixture of modern heavy metal and 80s glam, so I'm quite fine with it :popcorn:

but i dig that bully thing Tim stated lol

• 2 months later...

It must be said, many more spins into this - is this dude the worst vocalist of 2011? Man, he's just terrible. I do enjoy the CD to an extent - a few good songs, but the vocalist is a massive buzzkill. A couple of times he sounds like a 10th rate Gary Hughes, but most of the time he just sounds like the worst vocalist ever. Real shame. :(

It must be said, many more spins into this - is this dude the worst vocalist of 2011? Man, he's just terrible. I do enjoy the CD to an extent - a few good songs, but the vocalist is a massive buzzkill. A couple of times he sounds like a 10th rate Gary Hughes, but most of the time he just sounds like the worst vocalist ever. Real shame. :(

Hello?! Took you more than 20 seconds of the first song to realise this? I've seen him live too and it was absolutely terrible beyond belief. Shit, if you can't sing then just fucking growl or scream - everyone else does. Don't try and sing in-tune but end up sounding like a cat vomiting.

Hello?! Took you more than 20 seconds of the first song to realise this? I've seen him live too and it was absolutely terrible beyond belief. Shit, if you can't sing then just fucking growl or scream - everyone else does. Don't try and sing in-tune but end up sounding like a cat vomiting.

Yeah, his badness was clear enough early on, I just thought the songs were good enough to look past it. But now his terrible voice is starting to taint the worth of the songs too. :(

Yeah, his badness was clear enough early on, I just thought the songs were good enough to look past it. But now his terrible voice is starting to taint the worth of the songs too. :(

In all honesty they do have some decent songs. Not enough of them. And they're horribly generic. But they have no identity or unique features and they're fairly poor musicians - but the tuneless/flat vocals are a killer...

In all honesty they do have some decent songs. Not enough of them. And they're horribly generic. But they have no identity or unique features and they're fairly poor musicians - but the tuneless/flat vocals are a killer...

Yeah, I really quite liked 'Fallen angels,' 'Rebel love song' and especially 'Ritual.' With a good vocalist, I think the album probably literally has about another 10% or so they could have squeezed out of me.

• 1 month later...

Spun this for the first time yesterday. Just reminds me of Nickelback with a few more riffs honestly. Singer sounds Chad Kroeger. Often the image they portray doesnt really come out in the songs. Theres a pretty good metal ballad somewhere in there completely ruined towards the end with emo screaming. The album wouldve been better without all the screaming in the 2nd half. Overall solid album... but nothing that exciting. I think Bad City's debut was much more interesting then this... and in a similar style.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry Tim but I hope City of life is much better than the latest Nightmare since that is an awful of piece mothern metal that tries to go in a retro Metallica direction but falls flat to the ground as a pankake IMO. Just my three,,,

By the way Tim I back you up 100 % when it comes to the Black Veil Brides.