Has anyone seen Saxon live lately?

Geoff

Hey guys, I'll be seeing the old timers at Soundwave in Sydney in 2 weeks. I'm spinning all my CDs for all the bands I'll be seeing there and in that mix I have included 'Innocence is no excuse,' 'Rock the nations,' 'Destiny' and 'Solid ball of rock.' They're the only Saxon albums I (still) own, by choice. As they're the only ones I like, and like them I do. A lot.

But am I fooling myself by thinking there's any chance in the world they'll play even one song from any of these 4 CDs? Or will they concentrate on all their other silly material before and after these CDs? Anyone got a rough set list for any recent gigs they've done?

Thanks for any help.

I very much doubt they will do anything from 'Destiny' or 'Innocence' and I would be surprised on the other 2 aswell to be honest. Much more likely, especially at a festival gig, will be a mixture of the 'Classic' old Saxon and a sprinkling of the last few albums plus maybe a preview of a track or 2 from the upcoming new album. I've seen them a good few times from the very early 80's, right up to about 4 years ago and only a couple of times in the 90's did they do a little of the more commercial stuff from 'Destiny' and 'Innocence' and even then, it was obviously on the subsequent tour of each album. Don't get me wrong, I love both those discs, but they fucking rock so much better playing the more Metal stuff and the classics from the first 5 albums - that is what Saxon are all about after all. Give them a shot, even though they are the old boys now, I promise ya, they still show some of the youngsters what it's all about.

Yeah mate, I'll definitely give them a go. The timetable actually changed literally just under an hour ago. New venue, new timetable. It generally works out better for me minus a few little hiccups, but unfortunately for Saxon I now get to see The Starting Line, but their set will cut into 15mins of Saxon's set.

Shame, because there's nothing on after Saxon for 50mins. Hopefully there will be a delay on that stage (and no others) as Saxon are the last band I want to see on that one. I'll definitely see as much of them as I can, though. Hey, I'm even going to give Iron Maiden a go at the end of the night... probably. ;)

Saw them for the first and only time about a year and a half ago. The set was only about an hour. It was Rocklahoma. They actually played most of their classic stuff. "Princess of the Night", Denim & Leather, Motorcycle Man, Power And The Glory, Sailing to America. Not sure if this set was different do to the fact that it was in The States.

They were pretty good live. I'm not sure if they are declining as the years go on... but I'm just glad I got to see them. I had waited forever to see Saxon.

Really? Why on earth? Too old for the other bands? :lol: Are they still doing other shows, as they had other (Sidewaves) dates booked too.

word on the street is that Saxon are out of Soundwave.....

Correct you are. How'd you know? Are you going?

I guess it's kind of disappointing but I was probably only going to see 15mins of their set and probably not know any songs anyway, so I'm not too cut. Far more cut about missing Every Avenue because they play at the same time as Taking Dawn. :(

Ha, Saxon dropping off the bill is v bad news for you mate.....you should have been wanting to see them above all others as they would have kicked your butt.

Stuff like 747, princess of the night, wheels, Motorcycle Man, bands played on, is still classic classic classic live.

You should check out Maiden too, as they are always class live. Show should be massive too.

Ha, Saxon dropping off the bill is v bad news for you mate.....you should have been wanting to see them above all others as they would have kicked your butt.

Stuff like 747, princess of the night, wheels, Motorcycle Man, bands played on, is still classic classic classic live.

You should check out Maiden too, as they are always class live. Show should be massive too.

Yeah, Iron Maiden are on last and there's nothing else on at the same time so I'll check them out. Would have preferred Saxon to Maiden, though.

You have to see Iron Maiden at least once before you die, Geoff, even if you don't like'em much.... it's a law, I think.

You have to see Iron Maiden at least once before you die, Geoff, even if you don't like'em much.... it's a law, I think.

Haha. Mate, you got that right. Swap those two bands for anything from those gigs like Rocklahoma that you guys have over there and I'll be happy too. And there will be justice in the world. :)

Haha. Mate, you got that right. Swap those two bands for anything from those gigs like Rocklahoma that you guys have over there and I'll be happy too. And there will be justice in the world. :)

looking at their latest set list - you certainly wont be seeing them at their best which is a shame - most of the old classics are missing :-(