Holy shit! Didn't see that one coming...

heavyharmonies

Cliff Lee turned down 6 years and $138 million offered by the Yankees to accept 5 years $100 million from the Phillies.

Apparently both he and his wife really liked their time with Philly, and he likes the guys and the clubhouse environment.

Talk about a dream starting lineup:

1. Roy Halliday

2. Cliff Lee

3. Roy Oswalt

4. Cole Hamels

Damn.

-Dan

And it would have been any different had he signed with the Yankees for more money?

No, not different...but hell, the Yankees have been (trying) to buy the World Series for the past 15 years. I just hate to see the Filthies following their lead. I liked it better when teams signed a young kid, developed him in the farm system, etc. The Braves are one of the best teams at doing this.

Yup big surprise with him signing with the Phillies. Not really surprised he wanted to go back there but I'm surprised they were even in the running since it seemed to be a two horse race over the last two weeks and not one mention of Philly. It does make you wonder what the point of trading him to the Mariners was. I realize they got Holladay but they could of thrown in some minor league prospects to keep Lee if they were just going to sign him later. I do think it's odd that these teams want to give Lee this big of contract considering he's 32 and has a career ERA of 3.85. Sure he's been great the past two post seasons but people seem to forget that just a few years ago the Indians sent him down to the minors and that was after he'd had a great season with them. Plus he went through a long funk in Texas this year where he couldn't buy a win.

As for the comments about the Phillies buying the series or the Yankees for that matter, until there's a salary cap in place it's okay to do this for the teams that have the money. I'm a diehard Cardinal fan I wish they had more money to spend. Of course it's funny that some fans complain about the Yanks buying up every free agent but now the Red Sox and Phillies and the Nationals are throwing a bunch of money around. This after MLB owners are claiming that their losing their asses and salaries need to decrease.

I dont see how they can be stopped now! physically they may set a new record for wins in a season, unbelievable,

I dont see how they can be stopped now! physically they may set a new record for wins in a season, unbelievable,

I wouldn't go that far. They still have issues that need to be addressed. Their bullpen is still weak, and their offensive production was down last year. They've lost Werth, who was an excellent clutch player for them. Only time will tell whether Dominic Brown will be an effective replacement.

It's their offense that concerns me, especially since the team is getting older.

-Dan