KRESCENDO RECORDS - NEW RELEASE INFO

Swazi

Apologies if this has already been posted:

KRESCENDO RECORDS - NEW RELEASE INFO

JOHN MILES – ‘TRANSITION’ (KRECD49)

To most people, John Miles is best known for his 1975 world-wide hit single ‘Music’…but there is a lot more to the man than that, admittedly fine, song. Transition is his 7th solo album, released in 1985 and sadly one of AOR’s very best kept secrets.

Work began on the recording of the album with Trevor Rabin producing. However, Rabin had pressing commitments elsewhere and ultimately only two of the album’s cuts – ‘Blinded’ and ‘I Need Your Love’ – were completed with the South African maestro at the helm. The rest of the album – excepting ‘Watching On Me’, which was produced by Beau Hill – was produced by Pat Moran.

‘Transition’ is a collection of superior songs excellently played and superbly produced. If this is your introduction to this album…congratulations and enjoy!

Shipping week beginning 1ST September 10

TRACKLIST

1. Once In Your Life

2. Run

3. Blinded

4. You’re The One

5. I Need Your Love

6. Hard Times

7. Who Knows

8. Don’t Lie To Me

9. Watching Over Me

10.Good So Bad (Single B- side)

11. Blinded (Single version)                  

RIO – ‘BORDERLAND’ (KRECD52)

Although it is an undeniable fact that the UK isn’t the natural habitat of AOR and its melodic off-shoots, a number of very fine British acts have plied their trade in that particular field. Amongst their number we can list FM, Strangeways, Airrace, Shy, and a handful of others. One name that is sadly seldom mentioned but is just as worthy of consideration is that of Rio.

Less a band and more of a studio project consisting of vocalist and guitarist Jon Neill and Steve Rodford (son of Argent bassist Jim Rodford) on Bass, Keyboards and drums, Their debut album, which you now hold in your grateful hands, is widely considered to be one of the very best AOR albums to have ever surfaced outside of the USA, and one cursory listen is all that is needed to convince the listener that this is indeed the case.

This was how Rio sounded for a brief but glorious period in those long off and much missed 80’s…

TRACKLIST

1. I Don’t Wanna Be The Fool

2. Straight To The Heart

3. Tommy Can’t Help It

4. Better This Time

5. State Of Emergency

6. Shy Girl

7. She’s A Virgin

8. Close To You

9. Borderland

BABY TUCKOO – ‘FORCE MAJEURE’ (KRECD53)

Taking their unusual name from Irish writer James Joyce’s book ‘A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man’, Bradford, UK based Baby Tuckoo first saw the light of day in 1982, the line-up of vocalist Rob Armitage, Neil Saxton on guitar, ex Heritage / Geddes Axe man Andy Barrott on guitar, bassist Paul Smith and drummer Tony Sugden releasing two hard rocking but surprisingly melodic albums in 1984’s ‘First Born’ for the Ultranoise label and then the disc you now hold, 1985’s ‘Force Majeure’. Originally released on UK indie Music For Nations, this album would prove to be the band’s swan song.

‘Force Majeure’ is a fine record that shows the band had the skills to pay the bills in no uncertain terms. They deserve more than their current standing as a ‘could have been’ act, and hopefully this reissue will go some way towards correcting that state of affairs once and for all.

TRACKLIST

1. Rock Rock

2. Shoot On Sight

3. Over You

4. Falling Star

5. The Lights Go Down

6. Keep It Together

7. Maybe

8. I'm Your Man

9. Long Way Down

10.Promises

ATSUSHI YOKOZEKI – ‘RAID’ (KRECD54)

Former Lance Of Thrill / The Bronx guitarist Atsushi `Jet Finger’ Yokozeki staked his claim for international rock stardom with the 1993 release of `Raid’, a thumping hard rock album populated with a veritable who’s who of rock royalty, including Brad Gillis, Jake E. Lee, Craig Goldy, Carmine Appice, Frankie Banali, Tim Bogert, Rudy Sarzo

Jeff Pilson, Kelly Hansen, David Glenn Eisley,Jeff Pilson, Cherie Currie,

Ray Gillen an a number of others

As highly regarded as it undoubtedly was, the album didn’t get the acclaim and commercial success that it so richly deserved. The performances – from the Japanese six string maestro and his illustrious guests alike – are uniformally excellent and the songs themselves rock like the proverbial. Take a trip with Mr. Jet Finger to hard rock heaven!

TRACKLIST

1. Tears Of Sphinx (Instrumental)

2. More Than Enough

3. Straight From The Heart

4. Camel (Instrumental)

5. All The Way To Heaven

6. Silence, Storm And Sunrise (Instrumental)

7. A Little Bit More

8. Heartbreak

9. Mama Again (Instrumental)

10. Raid (Instrumental)

The Psychics album that was released last year by the company is awesome...sounds great too.

I think that may have been their first release proper, as to the legitimacy of other stuff I dunno, I have the OZZ - No Prisoners and there are a couple of vinyl clicks on it, but no worse than some re-issues labels and a darn sight better than some.

Didn't they re-issue a couple of FM albums?

Super keen to get that Rio - 'Borderland' disc... if this place is okay. Is the sound quality on their releases really rubbish?

That John Miles disc is a killer. Really looking forward to getting my mitts on that one, plus the Rio aswell. Krescendo releases have varied in quality so far, but as Nick said, the Psychics discs was a killer and a couple of their othere re-issues were ok too. Hopefully these will get the respect due to them soundwise.

• 3 months later...

Just went to the Kresendo site to buy the Rio 'Borderland' CD but I can't find it. I can get it for au$17.95 at CDWOW in Australia... is that the best price I'll get it for? Where y'all getting it from?

My only gripe with the John Miles disc is that the recording should have been obntained from the master tape instead of LP.

Nevertheless, will take it for now :)

Luckily, The John Miles is one of the better ones Krescendo have done so far, Rio 'Borderland' is just about above par.

My one question, How many re-issue labels use the original masters theses days? as I know even Rock Candy have used vinyl transfers on some of their releases and I won't even start with the recent below par re-issues from Renaissance.

Just went to the Kresendo site to buy the Rio 'Borderland' CD but I can't find it. I can get it for au$17.95 at CDWOW in Australia... is that the best price I'll get it for? Where y'all getting it from?

Yeah that's pretty much the going rate everywhere Geoff, and keep in mind it is a new release so there's no reason for retailers to drop the price whilst it's a new product and demand is high.

I think my vinyl tranfer will do me for now :)

Yeah that's pretty much the going rate everywhere Geoff, and keep in mind it is a new release so there's no reason for retailers to drop the price whilst it's a new product and demand is high.

Cool, thanks mate. I might just keep it in the back of my mind for now too. I just don't want to wait too long and see it going for double the price in a few months because it's so hard to get. :)

• My Little Pony

Cool, thanks mate. I might just keep it in the back of my mind for now too. I just don't want to wait too long and see it going for double the price in a few months because it's so hard to get. :)

Yeah, that often seems to be the case. There are a number of Retrospect releases I wish I had bought a few years back.