NES games

Jacob M.

Recently a family member made some mistakes and was forced to move. Since she had no place to put all of her stuff she had to give a lot of it away. One of the items that happened to make its way to me was an old TV. At first I didn't know what to do with it. I don't have a converter box so I can't watch over the air broadcasts. My HD-DVD player doesn't have the proper connections so I can't watch movies. So what could I do with it? As we were about to get rid of it I had a spark of inspiration. Maybe I should get a Nintendo. I've always wanted a NES, but have never been able to get one. This is the perfect opportunity.

So now goes the search for a system and games. Anyone have some suggestions on where to look and what games to get?

My advise is not to buy the old nintendos. Buy one of the newer top loading nintendos. The old ones are a pain in the ass. Constantly trying to get the game to go in properly and work.

The top loaders work just like the super nintendos. Cartridges go in the top and hardly to never have a problem.

I totally second this statement...

My advise is not to buy the old nintendos. Buy one of the newer top loading nintendos. The old ones are a pain in the ass. Constantly trying to get the game to go in properly and work.

The top loaders work just like the super nintendos. Cartridges go in the top and hardly to never have a problem.

I totally second this statement...

I'll third that...you can pick up the new consoles pretty cheap and they play both the original NES and SNES games both.

http://www.amazon.com/SNES-Video-System-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B000SC1MUM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1277476175&sr=8-5

I won this auction yesterday. I decided to take a gamble based on the information I had gathered. I considered buying one of the top loading systems, but decided against it. One of the main reasons is that I want to play Duck Hunt. The NES's peripherals are not compatible with most of the top loaders. Not only that, there are several games that you can't even play.

300px-Consola_NES_2.jpg

I wanted to buy one of these systems, but found they are more rare. The system is not without its own problems as well. The thing I don't get about this system is why Nintendo took it off the market so quickly. If they would have left it out there longer perhaps it would have taken off. If nothing else it would be easier to get a more reliable system now.

I miss my old NES. It crapped out sometime in the mid to late 90s and I never got around to replacing it. I wasted entirely too many hours playing Ms.Pac-Man, Super Mario 3, and RoboCop on that bad boy. For all I know, the cartridges are still moldering away in the back of a closet at my Mom's house.

Nintendo let it's patents or something run on on the NES and several aftermarket companies started making top loading type systems that used the NES controllers and played their games. I bought one of them a few years back and they work great and they don't have the issues the original NES had with the flash on/off. Remember having to blow in the game cartridges? hahahaha

http://cgi.ebay.com/NES-Nintendo-USA-Top-Loading-System-Free-NES-Gun-/200474963888?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Video_Games&hash=item2ead3d2fb0

http://cgi.ebay.com/Retro-Nintendo-NES-8-bit-Top-loading-loader-System-New-/120587553406?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Video_Games&hash=item1c13940a7e

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nintendo-NES-Top-Loader-Loading-8-bit-System-NEW-Silver-/380244906096?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Video_Games&hash=item58885cd070

I just hooked up my newly acquired NES. At first all the system did was blink. I thought it was a goner. I kept messing with it until it started working. Now it's running smoothly. Too bad the only game I have is Yoshi's Cookie. That game sucks.

I just hooked up my newly acquired NES. At first all the system did was blink. I thought it was a goner. I kept messing with it until it started working. Now it's running smoothly. Too bad the only game I have is Yoshi's Cookie. That game sucks.

If I remember right isnt Yoshi's cookie something like Tetris? Stuff falling down that you have to stack. That blinking is the main reason these are a pain in the ass. If you want to spend the money you can buy replacement pin connectors and it will work like new. Its been awhile since I looked but I think they were running like 8.95 at one time

• 3 weeks later...

Yoshi's Cookie is kind of like Tetris, but not nearly as fun. I doubt I'll ever play it again. After getting my system I lost interest for a while. Too many other things going on. I did buy Tetris, Play Action Football, and Baseball Simulator 1.000. Tetris on NES is not nearly as good as other versions. It's still fun. Play Action Football is basically unplayable. I might give it another go, but if I still can't figure it out I doubt I'll touch another NES football game. My favorite out of the games is Baseball Simulator. There are many problems within the game, but it's still fun as heck. That's what matters most.

I suppose I won't be buying any more games for a while. When I do I suppose I'll get some of the Ninja Turtles games, River City Ransom, Rampage, Smash TV, Mario/Duck Hunt, and any other suggestions that sound good.