Jonah Hex

Dark Star

Scuse me... retired comic book geek comin' thru. Gotta put my two cents in. :lol:

"Jonah Hex" was never a huge fave of mine but I did have a pretty decent stack of back issues in my old collection (he wasn't terribly popular so you could usually pick his stuff up pretty cheap...hahaha)

The movie looks pretty bad-ass, but judging from the trailer, any resemblance between the movie and the comic will be name only. "Jonah Hex" was pretty much a straight Western saga, (think "The Man With No Name" from the old Eastwood spaghetti Westerns of the 60s, those were the obvious template for Jonah) however the movie looks like they're gonna kick the action factor up a few zillion notches, to the point where it's entering into the realm of totally ridiculous. (Twin Gatling guns strapped to the sides of his horse? Reminds me of that godawful "Wild Wild West" movie with Will Smith :puke:)

They did tweak the character somewhat in the 90s with a couple of mini-series from DC's "Vertigo" imprint that had a supernatural bent to 'em, I gather that's the version they're leaning towards for the movie. Though Jonah has never had the "talking to the dead" ability shown in the trailer, at least not while I was readin' it anyway. I have no idea what they're doing with him nowadays.

Either way, the movie looks cool but it's going to get totally crushed @ the box office anyway. It opens tomorrow against "Toy Story 3." It's doomed.

That said, I still wanna see it. If only to check out Megan Fox in a 19th century prostitute's outfit. :lol:

I'm a former comicbook geek and Jonah Hex is a cool DC character.Jonah Hex should have been used more in the Vertigo universe,think of Jonah Hex meets Preacher meets Hellblazer and comes across Neil Gaimons Sandman universe,great stuff people :beerbang:

:beerbang:

Either way, the movie looks cool but it's going to get totally crushed @ the box office anyway. It opens tomorrow against "Toy Story 3." It's doomed.

I totally called this, didn't I? "Toy Story 3" took in $109 mil, "Jonah" barely made the top 10 with only $5 mil. Ouch! (From IMDb)

It may not have reached infinity and beyond, but Toy Story 3 has broken records with its Father’s Day weekend debut. The G-rated movie starring everyone’s favorite Pixar characters Buzz Lightyear and Cowboy Woody grossed an estimated $109 million, earning the status of Pixar’s highest-grossing opening weekend ever. It helped that Toy Story 3 bowed in over 2,000 3-D locations, a number that added up to more than 50% of its gross. Its IMAX numbers were also solid: earning 8 percent of its total from the 180 large-screen theaters. The movie generated a 99% positive rating from review collector site Rotten Tomatoes and an A from exit pollster CinemaScore. The animated flick also helped boost the box office over 30 percent from last year when The Proposal debuted to $33 million.

Toy Story 3 was not at all helped out by the only other new wide release Jonah Hex. In fact, the PG-13 western actioner starring Josh Brolin was wholeheartedly rejected by audiences, grossing a paltry $5 million for an eighth place finish at the box office. It will likely go down as the biggest disappointment of the summer, one that’s surely not going to help the careers of either Brolin or co-star Megan Fox. Audiences gave it a C+ as indicated by CinemaScore.

Oh well. If it tanks that just means it'll go to DVD faster and I'll get to see it sooner. :lol:

My brother did see "Jonan" over the weekend and he said it was pretty kickass, for whatever that's worth. Apparently he's one of only a few dozen people who bothered to do so :rofl:

I always liked JH in the comix, and really enjoyed seeing him pop up in the DC animated series in more recent years. I never liked the "Hex" comix though.

I was excited to hear about the movie, but less so after seeing several trailers. Not a MF fan either. Will still check it out on DVD I'm sure :)

• 3 weeks later...

The movie looks pretty bad-ass, but judging from the trailer, any resemblance between the movie and the comic will be name only. "Jonah Hex" was pretty much a straight Western saga, (think "The Man With No Name" from the old Eastwood spaghetti Westerns of the 60s, those were the obvious template for Jonah) however the movie looks like they're gonna kick the action factor up a few zillion notches, to the point where it's entering into the realm of totally ridiculous. (Twin Gatling guns strapped to the sides of his horse? Reminds me of that godawful "Wild Wild West" movie with Will Smith :puke:)

I actually liked Wild Wild West when it first came out. I really didn't understand what all of the complaints were about. Later I watched the excellent TV show and realized how bad they butchered the story. It should have never been called Wild Wild West.

The problem I see with Hex is that no one could agree on what the movie was supposed to be. For that reason it became a muddled mess. I read that the movie was complete, but the studio wasn't happy. The director had to shoot additional scenes and find a way to work it in. No telling what else they did to mess with the movie. Word spread and it took the movie down.

That said, I still wanna see it. If only to check out Megan Fox in a 19th century prostitute's outfit. :lol:

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather see her out of a 19th century prostitutes outfit than in one.

• 2 months later...

"Jonah Hex" comes to DVD on October 12th for those of you who missed its theatrical run...which, judging from its meager box office take, I would imagine was just about everybody.

I mean seriously, that movie was such a huge bomb that Al Quaeda are trying to obtain as many copies of it as they can. :lol:

"Jonah Hex" comes to DVD on October 12th for those of you who missed its theatrical run...which, judging from its meager box office take, I would imagine was just about everybody.

I mean seriously, that movie was such a huge bomb that Al Quaeda are trying to obtain as many copies of it as they can. :lol:

Did you see it at the cinema? If so, any good?

Shame the eye candy is Megan Fox, not my bag at all.

Nah, I wanted to catch it in theatres but didn't have the chance... my brother did, though (we joke that he's only one of a few dozen people who can make that claim, haha) and he sez it was actually pretty decent.

Wow, I never thought one day I'd read a sentence like this. :blink:

Btw I'm just planning to see the second Transformers movie just because of her... :D

I was actually one of the few people who bought a ticket to see this as well. And surprisingly, yes, it actually was halfway decent. I enjoyed myself for 90 minutes. Sure, it had its problems, namely the studio making the director cut it down from an R rating to a pg-13 rating. This is blatantly obvious during the gunfight scenes. I would love to see the director's cut the way it was meant to be. I know this got trashed 9 ways from sunday, but I thought Josh Brolin actually did the character some justice.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, so I watched "Jonah Hex" via Video On Demand last night. Considering the savage reviews it got and its fast fade from theatres this summer, I expected it to be a total train wreck, but it was actually a pretty decent shoot'em up.

The flick was a bit short (under 90 minutes!) and even at that length it suffered from some obvious padding (I mean, how many frickin times did they flashback to the death of Jonah's family?). I know there were problems behind the scenes during filming (lots of last minute reshoots/re writes, etc.) all of which obviously would affect what ended up onscreen.

For the most part tho, I enjoyed it. Megan Fox looks great of course, lotsa stuff blows up, and Josh Brolin was totally bad-ass as Jonah.

I think the main reason this flick failed is cuz the commercials and ads hyped it up as if it were an "event" movie, which it really isn't. The character isn't that well known so it was probably a mistake to hang such a big budget movie on him. It probably would've been better off being made on a smaller scale, and released direct to video.

• 6 years later...

Damn. Zombie thread, back from the dead!

Urrrrrgh. Braaaaaaaiiiiins....

Odd that this one suddenly re-appeared tho, cuz just a few weeks ago I was looking at the movie DVDs at my public library.... when I came across "Jonah Hex," which I haven't seen since it first hit video all those years ago. I didn't borrow it, but now that you've got me thinking about it, I may give it another spin cuz I honestly remember nothing about that movie after all this time, I wonder how well (or not) it has aged.

Reading my posts earlier in this thread, it seems that I enjoyed it back in 2010, anyway :D