Pete Steele dead from heart attack

Captain Howdy

News is sketchy at the moment, but it is being reported that he died on the 14th of a heart attack.

A lot of people are sceptical after the hoax in 2005 as there has been no official statement yet, but going on the blurb on the Type O website, it may very well be true this time.

Posted: April 15, 2010, 05:13:26 AM by admin in .

The forums have been re-opened. Please play nice and expect statements from the band and family later today.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Just heard about this myself. It appears that the "rumors" have been confirmed to Blabbermouth by the other band members:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=138519

TYPE O NEGATIVE keyboardist Josh Silver has confirmed to BLABBERMOUTH.NET that the band's frontman, Peter Steele, passed away yesterday (Wednesday, April 14) at the age of 48. No official cause of death has yet been released, but it is believed that Steele died of heart failure.

Mistress Juliya (a.k.a. Juliya Chernetsky) of Fuse TV broke the news on her Twitter page last night, stating that she spoke to TYPE O NEGATIVE guitarist Kenny Hickey just before midnight New York time, and that Kenny confirmed that the rumors were true.

Back in 2005, many people were shocked when they logged on to the TYPE O NEGATIVE web site and saw a gravestone with the words "[P]eter Steele - 1962 - 2005 .... Free At Last" carved on it. According to Epinions.com, there were rumors at the time that Steele was sick (with anything from cancer to AIDS), was on his deathbed, attempted suicide ... and the list goes on. Needless to say, it turned out that Steele was very much alive and the gravestone was merely a joke, albeit one the wasn't viewed as being in particularly good taste.

Steele was born Petrus T. Ratajczyk on January 4, 1962 in Brooklyn, New York. He stood 6' 7" (201 cm) tall, and had a low, bass-heavy voice, which was one of the most recognizable features in TYPE O NEGATIVE's music.

Before forming TYPE O NEGATIVE, Steele played for the metal group FALLOUT and the thrash band CARNIVORE.

That's a bummer. I haven't been into much of Type O's later music but I freakin LOVED his prior band, Carnivore (particularly their RETALIATION album from '87) and the first couple of Type O Negative discs (SLOW, DEEP AND HARD and BLOODY KISSES). I saw them live quite a few times around New York and New Jersey in the early 90s and they always put on a pretty killer show.

R.I.P. Peter.

Always enjoyed Type O Negative and Pete's deep as sin voice. Always pictured them doing a goth metal version of Madonna's "Like A Virgin".

It isn't a suprise he died so young, he always seemed to want to die, at least the lyrics always seemed to say so.

It isn't a suprise he died so young, he always seemed to want to die, at least the lyrics always seemed to say so.

He was an admitted cocaine user, and cocaine and heart failure tend to go hand in hand...

Wow.. THis indeed blows.. I Saw Type O Negative live a few times and they ALWAYS put on a killer show... Like My man Keith I too LOVED Carnivore, but I also liked almost every Type O Album as well....

He will be missed indeed.....

RIP Pete..... I'll be playing some Type O Negative in Your honor today....

AND some Carnivore of course.....

Wow.. THis indeed blows.. I Saw Type O Negative live a few times and they ALWAYS put on a killer show... Like My man Keith I too LOVED Carnivore, but I also liked almost every Type O Album as well....

He will be missed indeed.....

RIP Pete..... I'll be playing some Type O Negative in Your honor today....

AND some Carnivore of course.....

Make that 3 :beerbang:

I always loved Carnivore's apocalyptic sound off their Retaliation c.d...

I also found their lyric's more disturbing than any Slayer album..

I'm also glad to have seen both bands live as well..

Rest in Peace Pete..

Just heard about this....terrible news, always liked Type O even though they're not usually what I'd go for...Bloody Kisses was a classic!

Yeah I heard this news on the radio that morning & had chills go through me cuz I couldn't believe it...I too liked Carnivore (Sex & Violence fucking rules!!) & Type O just plain kills...Nobody was home earlier so I had my own Peter Steele musical memorial service playing at a VERY loud volume... :headbanger: