When Poison and CC parted ways...

Geoff

Just wondering about this. We have some oldies on the board who may remember what happened at the time, but I assume a lot of players would have tried out for the position - were there any other names thrown around at the time just before 'Native Tongue' was recorded?

If I recall correctly from an old Kerrang, was Blues Sarenceno also an option back then and did he almost get the gig?

Just wondering about this. We have some oldies on the board who may remember what happened at the time, but I assume a lot of players would have tried out for the position - were there any other names thrown around at the time just before 'Native Tongue' was recorded?

If I recall correctly from an old Kerrang, was Blues Sarenceno also an option back then and did he almost get the gig?

I recall reading during the Crack A Smile era, that Blues was actually preferred by 2 of the 3 memeber to fill the CC spot, but the deciding vote (i'm guessing Bret) went for Kotzen.

I thought I remembered something about Blues being up for it as well.

Joey Allen of Warrant would of been a good replacement IMO or even Jamie Scott of Vain but I think Brett wanted to go in a more bluesy direction.

I remember Metal Edge having something about possible replacements but that might of just been some kind of dream list and not an actual fact.

I remember Vince was fired from the Crue around the same time and that job was offered to Stephen Sheraoux(Kik Tracee) and he turned it down supposedly. I'm sure he regrets it now. Marq Torien from the Bulletboys was also talked about as a possible Vince replacement as well but not sure if he even got an audition.

Joey Allen of Warrant would of been a good replacement IMO or even Jamie Scott of Vain but I think Brett wanted to go in a more bluesy direction.

Did either of those guys try out for the position? Man, either of them would have been an awesome fit... especially Joey Allen (as long as he only joined AFTER he'd finished work on 'Dog eat dog').

Did either of those guys try out for the position? Man, either of them would have been an awesome fit... especially Joey Allen (as long as he only joined AFTER he'd finished work on 'Dog eat dog').

I don't think he auditioned as those bands were in a fued from the Flesh&Blood/Cherry Pie tour between Jani and Brett. Dog Eat Dog would of been recorded around the same time as Native Tongue so wouldn't of worked anyway.

Other good choices would of been:

Jorge DeSaint(Tuff-not a great player but had the look)

Danny West(Vain)

Brent Woods(Young Guns AKA Wildside)

And if they wanted to go in a bluesy direction: Billy Harvey from Flame.

http://www.savioursofrock.com/interviews/interviewrichie.htm

Can't remember,but according to the above interview Kotzen was hired a week after he auditioned...

Thanks for the link, cool read. I liked this part - "I do agree that poison was an underrated

band....People liked to make fun of them because of their image and because compared to some of the other groups at the time they were not stand out musicians but truth be told they have sold over 20- million cds by now.... Somebody likes it...."

I don't think he auditioned as those bands were in a fued from the Flesh&Blood/Cherry Pie tour between Jani and Brett. Dog Eat Dog would of been recorded around the same time as Native Tongue so wouldn't of worked anyway.

Danny West(Vain)

:lol: at Jorge DeSaint. I love Tuff, LOVE 'What comes around goes around', love the guy's rhythm guitar work, but that's one guy I'm really not sure could play well at all. Man there's some dodgy solos on that disc. Don't think it would have been too good a move for Poison, though I agree we probably would have got a kick-ass CD from that match-up.

As I was listening to the bonus tracks on 'Swallow this... live' yesterday (seriously cousin, you need to hear 'No more lookin' back) I was actually thinking of how they reminded me a bit of a band like Wildside. Brent Woods would have been an awesome fit. Truth is, sooooo many guitarists from 80's hard rock bands would have suited perfectly, but Kotzen had such a different, unique sound so it was very brave to go in that direction. As I've said, though, I wish they'd gone in the other direction and gone with some of the names being thrown around there. :)

Danny West(Vain)

:lol: at Jorge DeSaint. I love Tuff, LOVE 'What comes around goes around', love the guy's rhythm guitar work, but that's one guy I'm really not sure could play well at all. Man there's some dodgy solos on that disc. Don't think it would have been too good a move for Poison, though I agree we probably would have got a kick-ass CD from that match-up.

As I was listening to the bonus tracks on 'Swallow this... live' yesterday (seriously cousin, you need to hear 'No more lookin' back) I was actually thinking of how they reminded me a bit of a band like Wildside. Brent Woods would have been an awesome fit. Truth is, sooooo many guitarists from 80's hard rock bands would have suited perfectly, but Kotzen had such a different, unique sound so it was very brave to go in that direction. As I've said, though, I wish they'd gone in the other direction and gone with some of the names being thrown around there. :)

I agree that DeSaint wasn't great but lets be honest either was CC. :lol:

I remember when Native Tongue came out one of my good friends was a huuuuuuuge CC fan and he about fell over when he heard it for the first time. I told him to be patient and to give it time and it'd grow on him but I'm not sure if ever did. We actually saw them on that tour with Firehouse(Hold Your Fire tour) and Damn Yankees(Don't Tread tour) and they were very good but it did sound a little different with Kotzen live on those old tunes. They did play about half of the new album and they all sounded great live.

i always thought that Kotzen was to rigid and techincal, whereas CC just let loose. Some may call it sloppy, but it was the band having a good time.

similarly i was bored shitless by george lynch when he toured oz with lynch mob. ok, guitar enthusiasts were creaming themselves over him, but as a live performance it was one of the most boring sets i've seen. give me sloppy cc any day!

i always thought that Kotzen was to rigid and techincal, whereas CC just let loose. Some may call it sloppy, but it was the band having a good time.

similarly i was bored shitless by george lynch when he toured oz with lynch mob. ok, guitar enthusiasts were creaming themselves over him, but as a live performance it was one of the most boring sets i've seen. give me sloppy cc any day!

Backed. As long as it sounds good who really cares if it's perfect or not?