Leverage "Circus Colossus"

Delbert

Finnish melodic hard rockers LEVERAGE have a new CD that came out on October 28 titled "Circus Colossus". I received my Japanese pressing yesterday from CD Japan and gave it a listen last night.

Tremendous......like a strong tornado!!! I have really been impressed with the releases of these Finnish bands such as Brother Firetribe, Leverage, Keldian etc etc. Their sound is so complex, yet refreshing. I was somewhat dissappointed with the second Leverage release, "Blind Fire" because the songs just weren't as strong as the debut. Now, on this third album, they have recovered their song writing ability. The first part of the album isn't quite as strong as the second, but things quickly develop as the track list moves along.

This sound, that I previous described as a "strong tornado" seems to develop intensity, change course and time and can truly be powerful. I love the compexity of the songs, changing tempo, mood and direction at times. I call this, for a lack of a better term, "pompous Melodic Metal". Maybe some would describe it as progressive rock.......nah, I'm not going that far. I hear something in the vein of the first CORNERSTONE release (with Dougie White vocals) and BROTHER FIRETRIBE. The guitars for the most part provide the backbone and rythym while the keyboards load the whole thing with melody and pomp. And.....the vocals of Pekka Heino very unique sounding. I love that different slant in his voice. Then, layer that with some excellent drumwork via Valtteri Revonkorpi who sounds amazingly similiar to Jukka Nevalainen of Nightwish. Lots of backing and harmony vocals fill the remainder of what you'll hear. Needless to say, I am entranced with this release and highly recommend it to those of you who have developed a love for this niche of melodic metal coming from Finland.

I would love to hear what others think after hearing this excellent release? Oh....the Japanese pressing contains two bonus tracks that are both worth investing in the Japanese pressing.

Delbert

Mine should be arriving in the next few days - really looking forward to hearing what they have done this time as I really liked the first 2 discs.

• 7 years later...