GOTTHARD

heaven&hell

I've heard a few Gotthard discs and I like everything I've heard so far but haven't bought that many and have thought about eventually getting around to buying some from their back catalog. I've read the comments on the main page and kind of have an idea of what seems to be good and what isn't near as good but was hoping for some further direction or opinions. I love 'Lipservice', 'Domino Effect', 'Dial Hard' and like 'G'.

Thanks.

I personally like the first 3 along with Lipservice. The ones after the G album seemed to get a little soft for my liking. They were decent albums, but lacked the punch of the first 3. They seemed to incorporate a little AOR style into their cd's in that period which didn't seem like true Gotthard to me. When Lipservice came out, they regained that punch of the first 3 CD's. I'm still listening to the new one, and I have to say it's quite good, but Lipservice was better. A little more edge.

I personally like the first 3 along with Lipservice. The ones after the G album seemed to get a little soft for my liking. They were decent albums, but lacked the punch of the first 3. They seemed to incorporate a little AOR style into their cd's in that period which didn't seem like true Gotthard to me. When Lipservice came out, they regained that punch of the first 3 CD's. I'm still listening to the new one, and I have to say it's quite good, but Lipservice was better. A little more edge.

That's pretty much spot on with most comments I've read in other places.

Thanks for your input Ty. :headbanger:

The first 3 are all excellent and then they went a bit on the soft side with 'Open' and 'Homerun' (although these are pretty good in spots too). For me they really came back to form with the brilliant 'Human Zoo', which is still my fave Gotthard disc of them all. The 3 recent ones have been often mentioned on these hallowed pages and are top quality aswell. All in all a damned consistent band throughout their discography, with something to recommend on all their albums.

I own them all (cept the latest one as its on my Christmas list), and have to say that all the albums have their merits.

A good starting point for anyone wishing to sample the earlier material is the One Team, One Spirit, 2CD best of disc and maybe the One Life, One Soul ballad compilation (although obviously the second one only shows the less rocking stuff, so isnt necessarily a good way to expose someone to the band, unless you wanna trick a girly into liking them :) ).

I like the earlier outputs of my landmates. I actually didn't give much attention to their latter albums. I didn't like that "d-frosted" crap at all. But they still had a few great sounding tunes in the past like for example "Blackberry way" (especially the beginning part).

For an excellent slice of super-melodic AOR from the band, check out Homerun...

Really? That's one that I thought I'd read about that sounded a little to laid back for my tastes but I'd still like to get them all one of these days.

I will rank them for you so you make the right decision:

1. Domino Effect ; my favourite of the lot. Arguably their heaviest disc, and the best set of songs imo.

2. Homerun ; Their most melodic disc. Excellent commercial hard rock disc, and trust me, this is not "too laid back" at all. Just great melodic rock.

3. Human Zoo ; This one and the s/t swap places often. In fact, I just swapped them right then. Great disc with some of their best songs.

4. s/t ; gem of a disc. Great hard rock with great ballads too. Great songs all over the place.

5. Lipservice ; over-hyped imo but once you get past the group of early fillers this is an excellent disc. The second half of this album is wonderful. Also essential.

6. G ; and this is where things get a little unessential. Still very good, but a little forgettable. The hard rockers are solid, but I can't remember one of them. All I recall is 'In the name' and 'Let it be' which are worth the price alone.

7. Open ; soft as hell and a controversial choice above 'Dail hard' I'm sure. There are a lot of fillers here and some pretty awful songs, but if I recall correctly (I still only have this on CDR, hunting for an original) there were about 3 excellent songs on this one...

8. Dail Hard - .... which is more than I can say for this. From start to end this is consistent as hell, but basic, average and unspectacular hard rock. No real hooks or catchy choruses... just plain hard rock. I have heard this album several times but cannot even begin to tell you anything about a song that stood out at all. Solid, but totally forgettable.

Oh, and the new one will squeeze into either the 2nd, 3rd or 4th spot, I believe.

1. Domino Effect ; my favourite of the lot. Arguably their heaviest disc, and the best set of songs imo.

2. Homerun ; Their most melodic disc. Excellent commercial hard rock disc, and trust me, this is not "too laid back" at all. Just great melodic rock.

3. Human Zoo ; This one and the s/t swap places often. In fact, I just swapped them right then. Great disc with some of their best songs.

4. s/t ; gem of a disc. Great hard rock with great ballads too. Great songs all over the place.

5. Lipservice ; over-hyped imo but once you get past the group of early fillers this is an excellent disc. The second half of this album is wonderful. Also essential.

6. G ; and this is where things get a little unessential. Still very good, but a little forgettable. The hard rockers are solid, but I can't remember one of them. All I recall is 'In the name' and 'Let it be' which are worth the price alone.

7. Open ; soft as hell and a controversial choice above 'Dail hard' I'm sure. There are a lot of fillers here and some pretty awful songs, but if I recall correctly (I still only have this on CDR, hunting for an original) there were about 3 excellent songs on this one...

8. Dail Hard - .... which is more than I can say for this. From start to end this is consistent as hell, but basic, average and unspectacular hard rock. No real hooks or catchy choruses... just plain hard rock. I have heard this album several times but cannot even begin to tell you anything about a song that stood out at all. Solid, but totally forgettable.

Oh, and the new one will squeeze into either the 2nd, 3rd or 4th spot, I believe.

Thanks Cousin but I disagree about "Dial Hard".

I think that one rocks but I maybe it's because it was my intro to the band.

Yeah, I understand that any fan of early Y&T would dig it. Similar sort of hard rock-without-hooks style. To each their own. As I said, it's a solid disc but just missing a lot, in my opinion. :)

Yeah, I understand that any fan of early Y&T would dig it. Similar sort of hard rock-without-hooks style. To each their own. As I said, it's a solid disc but just missing a lot, in my opinion. :)

I always heard a Whitesnake vibe.