Lillian Axe - Is this band great or what?

heaven&hell

Is it me or is this band pretty much unlike any other band around.

Their first 4 albums are so incredible IMO and you can't really categorize them in any subgenre.

They always get thrown in with other hair bands but they aren't like any other hair band.

To me they almost had a progressive sound mixed with the commercial hard rock. They always had all of these changes going on musically and mixed with very deep lyrics like "Ghost of Winter" and "Waiting in the Dark" and many many others. While I don't love the last two it's hard to fault what they did on the first four releases. Plus shouldn't Stevie Blaze be mentioned in the same breath of all of the other great hard rock guitarists of the last 20-25 years? I think so. He always brought a totaly different flavor to his solos and didn't sound like anyone else.

Yes, I agree, Lillian Axe WERE a great band. Absolutely love those first 4 CDs, and the stuff on 'Fields of yesterday' too. I think that's what makes the new stuff so hard to swallow. Granted, the latest CD is not quite as bad as the previous ones, but both are pale imitations of what these guys once were. :(

Melodic hard rock at it's finest in their prime.

Yes, I agree, Lillian Axe WERE a great band. Absolutely love those first 4 CDs, and the stuff on 'Fields of yesterday' too. I think that's what makes the new stuff so hard to swallow. Granted, the latest CD is not quite as bad as the previous ones, but both are pale imitations of what these guys once were. :(

Melodic hard rock at it's finest in their prime.

Yeah I agree about the Fields of Yesterday release, good stuff.

See calling them a "Melodic Hard Rock" band really limits them IMO since I think that they were really something much more than that. I don't say that to degrade the genre I just think that for every fun commercial song like "Show a Little Love" they also had songs that went so far beyond that like "The Day that I Met You", "Body Double", "Stop the Hate", "Ghost of Winter", "Voices in my Walls" and so many more. Plus as far as ballads go it don't get to much better than "Nobody Knows", but even that song wasn't exactly similar to the Poison, Def Leppard and Motley Crue ballads of the day IMO.

Yup good stuff, I was hooked when I saw the "Dream Of A Lifetime" video on Headbangers Ball way back in the day.

I was just hooked on the video not so long ago, I never saw that back in the day. The only video I can remember HBB showing was Show a Little Love..

Yeah, I got hooked on these guys courtesy of a 'Hard N' Heavy' video about 10 years back where they had an interview and clips of 'Show a little love'. Totally sucked me into the Lillian Axe party.

Yup good stuff, I was hooked when I saw the "Dream Of A Lifetime" video on Headbangers Ball way back in the day.

I was just hooked on the video not so long ago, I never saw that back in the day. The only video I can remember HBB showing was Show a Little Love..

Funny I just saw Show A Little Love for the first time a couple of years ago on VH1 Classic's Metal Mania.

I remember seeing "Show a Little Love" on during the day a few times when they did that short lived show 'Hard 30' or 'Hard 60' that would be on when I got home from school prior to Dial MTV but I don't remember the song making the top 15 to get on Dial MTV.

I didn't buy anything from them though until "Out of the Darkness/Into the Light" and "Poetic Justice" which I bought around the same time as each other. I really don't remember ever seeing the first two albums in stores. I finally found the debut on cassette years later used but have never seen them on cd.

I have their first album on vinyl but haven't listened to it in years... couldn't even name ya one song off of it anymore... guess that says something huh? :unsure:

I remember seeing "Show a Little Love" on during the day a few times when they did that short lived show 'Hard 30' or 'Hard 60' that would be on when I got home from school prior to Dial MTV but I don't remember the song making the top 15 to get on Dial MTV.

I didn't buy anything from them though until "Out of the Darkness/Into the Light" and "Poetic Justice" which I bought around the same time as each other. I really don't remember ever seeing the first two albums in stores. I finally found the debut on cassette years later used but have never seen them on cd.

I passed up on Lillian Axe back then. I was familiar with them but by the time they came around I was getting into heavier music. I started to listen to them last year.

I have their first album on vinyl but haven't listened to it in years... couldn't even name ya one song off of it anymore... guess that says something huh? :unsure:

Yes it says that you need these on cd(or cdr) or you need to fire that record player up! :tumbsup:

I passed up on Lillian Axe back then. I was familiar with them but by the time they came around I was getting into heavier music. I started to listen to them last year.

As much as I love the first 3 releases my fav is still Psychoshcizophrenia. :headbanger:

As much as I love the first 3 releases my fav is still Psychoshcizophrenia. :headbanger:

So far I had only heard the first one, Love and War, and Poetic Justice

I think Psycho is fairly easy to find.

It's much darker and a little heavier in some places than the others IMO.

As soon as I get some extra money, I'll look into it

sounds good! I l managed to pick up s/t and love + war a while ago on actual CD rather than a cdr which I always had. and thanks to someone who gave me a copy of poetic justice :)

I like they way they go almost bubble gum glam to heavier

I have all their cd's apart from the last 2 which I would only pick up if cheap on ebay.

Anyway I mentioned on the St Warren thread how good the cd is and like lillian axe, any other bands with a similar sound?

I'm sure a similar thread about this has been raised in the past but heh thought I would ask again.

Oh and the song 'Fields of yesterday' is epic my fav post Ron song.

• 4 weeks later...
I believe that their first 3 albums are perfect!Great songs,melodies and choruses!Their later releases are nothing really special to me...

:agree:

I believe that their first 3 albums are perfect!Great songs,melodies and choruses!Their later releases are nothing really special to me...

:agree:

I agree about the first 3 being great but IMO their 4th was the best one.

Man after seeing that video I went to Musicland at the mall the next day Sunday afternoon and bought the cassette.