Anthrax - is the new guy out already?

Fat Freddy

Your guess is as good as mine folks... but it seems that Dan Nelson may be on his way to becoming the Mark St. John of Anthrax. :blink:

ANTHRAX Cancels Oslo Show As Rumors Of Internal Strife Continue To Grow - July 21, 2009

Tomorrow night's (Wednesday, July 22) ANTHRAX headlining show in Oslo, Norway, has officially been cancelled. Concert promoter Ottar Stangeland has told the blog of "Pyro", a weekly rock and metal program which airs on Norway's national radio station NRK P3, that the gig, which was supposed to be held at Gamlebyen Skate Forening, a skate bowl in the old part of Oslo, was called off early this morning.

***UPDATE: BLABBERMOUTH.NET just spoke to ANTHRAX's manager, Izvor Zivkovic of Split Media, and the band will be making an official statement regarding this matter later today.***

The group, which recently played a number of European festivals and club dates, scrapped the first three gigs of its latest European tour — in Hultsfred, Sweden on July 18; in Copenhagen, Denmark on July 19; and Berlin, Germany on July 20 — after singer Dan Nelson "unexpectedly informed the band that he was seriously ill and unable to travel or perform at this time," according to a statement released by ANTHRAX on Friday.

ANTHRAX's new album, "Worship Music", will be released in Europe on October 23 via Nuclear Blast Records. The CD, which was mixed at a New Orleans studio by Dave Fortman (a former member of UGLY KID JOE who has also worked with artists such as MUDVAYNE, EVANESCENCE), is the band's first studio effort in six years and marks the recording debut of Nelson.

Hopefully they stick with him - I saw then live in May and he is a seriously good vocalist. Perfect for singing the old stuff, though he is very similar to Bush. The 3 new songs I heard were killer too.

Welp, it's official... New Guy is out already... (from Blabbermouth)

ANTHRAX Splits With Singer DAN NELSON; JOHN BUSH To Fill In For U.K.'s SONISPHERE - July 21, 2009

ANTHRAX's manager, Izvor Zivkovic of Split Media, has released the following statement to BLABBERMOUTH.NET:

"As announced last week, thrash legends ANTHRAX regretfully cancelled the first three dates on the second leg of their European tour due to new vocalist Dan Nelson's unexpected illness. An additional seven European dates are also cancelled, those scheduled from July 22 to July 30.

"ANTHRAX is thrilled to announce that they will play the August 1 Sonisphere festival in Knebworth, England, with their good friend John Bush [ANTHRAX's singer from 1992 to 2005] joining them for a very special one-off performance.

"The members of ANTHRAX have confirmed the departure of vocalist Dan Nelson. In light of this development, ANTHRAX's slot on the U.S. SLIPKNOT dates set for August and September, has also been cancelled. ANTHRAX is already actively considering lead singer candidates, and looks forward to hitting the road before the end of the year."

...wow, that's ridiculous. Surprised to hear that John Bush is going to fill in on vox for them at the Sonisphere gig. I would've expected him to tell Scott Ian to go f*ck himself when he called (haha).

I hope John wears an Armored Saint shirt during the gig and makes sure to mention that there's a new Armored Saint album on the way during all of his between-song banter with the crowd :lol:

You wonder what the f#@k is going on here.

First the guy is supposedly sick and then he's out.

Did Dan do something unforgivable on their recent tour or did they realize that he wasn't up to snuff.

Maybe it was his decision as I have read rumours that he didn't like to tour but you'd think he'd know what he was getting into.

This band has never been very good about being upfront with their fans as was proven with the whole John Bush is out and Belladonna is back in deal from back in 2005(?). Of course now with Bush doing one show with them the rumours are flying that the new disc will be recut with his vocals and he's back in but that would be hard for me to believe even though being a big John Bush fan I'd be all for it. However with him in the middle of working on a new Armored Saint disc I don't know if he would accept the offer of going back to Anthrax full time or not if the offer ever did come.

This whole thing is just wierd how you go from "This guy is the greatest" to "Dan just informed us that he's to sick for the upcoming shows" to "Dan Nelson is no longer our vocalist". :unsure:

EDIT: I wonder when the Tim Ripper Owens is new Anthrax singer rumours are going to start?

Blabbermouth has updated the article I posted previously... now the new Anthrax album, which was supposed to be out in October, is being "pushed back to a later date." It doesn't come right out and say it, but I wonder if that means they're going to erase New Guy's vocals off the CD and replace them with whoever they get as the permanent new vocalist.

But yea, whatever this guy did, he must've f**ked up big time.

I wonder when the Tim Ripper Owens is new Anthrax singer rumours are going to start?

I would totally buy an Anthrax record with Owens on vox. That would be sweet. :beerbang:

Blabbermouth has updated the article I posted previously... now the new Anthrax album, which was supposed to be out in October, is being "pushed back to a later date." It doesn't come right out and say it, but I wonder if that means they're going to erase New Guy's vocals off the CD and replace them with whoever they get as the permanent new vocalist.

There was an article recently where he came off pretty damn cocky to me about how important his involvement in the song writing was. Maybe I just took it wrong or maybe he came off that way to them in person or maybe this guy is a sack or shit or maybe there's something seriously wrong with him.

I just hate that the band don't come out and say shit and supposedly they had his face of the website in a nano second after announcing they had parted ways with him.

I say they get down on their knees and beg John Bush to redo Dan's vocals on the new disc since Dan is a Bush sound a like. That is the only option unless they are going to redo all of the music too when they get a permanent vocalist.

I wonder when the Tim Ripper Owens is new Anthrax singer rumours are going to start?

I would totally buy an Anthrax record with Owens on vox. That would be sweet. :beerbang:

Priest and Anthrax toured together on the Demolition tour and Ripper hung with the Anthrax guys quite a bit. As much as I love Ripper I just don't think his vocal style would fit the band at all. Now if they changed the name of the band then that could work.

Just Pinched this off BWBK....

As previously reported, ANTHRAX manager Izvor Zivkovic of Split Media has confirmed reports that the band has parted ways with vocalist Dan Nelson (details here). Nelson has since issued the following statement via the UltimateMetal.com forum, found here. It reads as follows:

"On the advice of counsel I have remained silent to the statements issued by Anthrax in recent days and now must address these issues to my loyal fans and others. I want to set the record straight.

I was never seriously ill or sick at all, as reported in Anthrax’s 7/17/09 press release. This extremely inflammatory statement hurt me tremendously. This statement misled fans, friends and family members into believing that I was seriously ill when I was not. I was not aware such a statement was being issued and it came as a total shock to me, as I’m sure it did to all of you. It was the other band members’ decision to cancel the tour dates, not mine. I was ready, willing and able to do my job. After issuing the press release the other band members decided, on their own accord, that I had 'resigned' from the band. I never resigned from the band.

Even in view of this action and stance taken by the band, as late as earlier today I made it clear that I was ready willing and able to continue to fulfill my obligations. After that offer was made the most recent press release was issued which announced my 'confirmed' departure from the band. I was not aware of the contents of this release until after it was issued, nor was I aware that Anthrax was canceling the European and SLIPKNOT tours.

I regret any disappointment and confusion this situation has caused. I want to thank my loyal fans, family and friends for all their support and their many messages, emails and calls. My counsel has been instructed to take any and all appropriate actions to address this situation."

Dan Nelson

EDIT: I wonder when the Tim Ripper Owens is new Anthrax singer rumours are going to start?

Sorry - but that's probably the only avenue they could take where I would lose complete interest in this band. Their style is Metal. Kinda thrashy, but pretty Modern. An Old-School vocalist would not work & would be a disaster IMO.

Sorry - but that's probably the only avenue they could take where I would lose complete interest in this band. Their style is Metal. Kinda thrashy, but pretty Modern. An Old-School vocalist would not work & would be a disaster IMO.

Read my other comments above where I said if they did go that route they should change the name of the band. :tumbsup:

To be honest I think that John Bush will be their vocalist again.

New from Blabbermouth a quote from Anthrax friend Eddie Trunk:

Eddie Trunk (pictured below), co-host of the VH1 Classic television program "That Metal Show" who has a long-running radio show, "Friday Night Rocks", on New York's Q104.3 FM, has posted the following commentary on his official blog:

"Just official, and no surprise, Dan Nelson out of ANTHRAX. This is really not a huge surprise to anyone who followed this story the last week.

"It was pretty clear to me at Rocklahoma that there were some serious chemistry issues off stage with the band and their new singer. I had been hearing and sensing rumblings about this the last few months from various sources. The shame of it is that he was a great singer for the band in the one show I saw, but obviously the band decided it was better to end this now before further conflicts come out.

"For band members in any group, there is on-stage and off-stage connection that needs to be reached and clearly there were issues off stage and in other areas from both ends. It's also pretty obvious to any dummy that he was not sick as the press release stated. If he was legit sick, you don't lose your gig. There were issues, and no doubt much more will come out about this story in coming weeks. It's also pretty obvious that whoever ends up with this gig will no doubt re-cut the vocals on the new album. There is no way I can imagine they would have his voice on a CD now that it is over, which is why the album is delayed now.

"Interesting that John Bush is returning for one gig. Bush is the band's best option at this point. The way I see it, things will be felt out with the one gig and if vibes are good, maybe he returns? John said on my show he would not rule out coming back to ANTHRAX at some point and clearly wants to still perform since he was doing ARMORED SAINT gigs. This is by far the best scenario for ANTHRAX and they need him.

"Obviously, I have a long history and friendship with the guys in ANTHRAX and I wish them well dealing with this crazy situation. As for Dan, he was great in the one show I saw and maybe there is a better opportunity for him down the line.

"Like I said, there will no doubt be all kinds of rumor and speculation about what really went down, but it was not working off stage and singer #4 in ANTHRAX is a very brief footnote now in the band's crazy history. But ANTHRAX has dealt with all kinds of stuff and they will no doubt come back strong."

On a side not has anyone else heard about this prank that Dan Nelson did to Frank Bello?

Supposedly he took a shit on his back when he was asleep or passed out!!!!!

WTF if that's true no wonder he got fired, that's one fucked up prank. :yikes:

Not overly familiar with Owens, but Bush and Belladonna are both old school style singers as well.

Not overly familiar with Owens, but Bush and Belladonna are both old school style singers as well.

His first disc with Iced Earth "The Glorious Burden" and his Beyond Fear project are both keepers if you like Metal. :headbanger:

On a side not has anyone else heard about this prank that Dan Nelson did to Frank Bello?

I did see that on another metal forum but it didn't give any source so I thought the guy was making it up. If it's for real, then that's frickin' sick. I woulda fired him too. :puke:

But Bush has sung Modern Metal on the latter-day Anthrax albums and carries it off - I don't think Belladonna would be able to sing on an Anthrax album these days anyway as his voice isn't suited to modern mid-tempo down-tuned Metal all that well - needs a lower register. Exactly like Nelson had. I'm probably the only one that thinks this, but I'd love to have seen Corey Taylor sing on an Anthrax album - that guy has a killer voice (kinda like Bush).

I did see that on another metal forum but it didn't give any source so I thought the guy was making it up. If it's for real, then that's frickin' sick. I woulda fired him too. :puke:

No need to take pranks that far.

I was at a softball tournament one year and I seen another team tip over the porta potty with one of their team mates inside. They tipped it on the door so he could not get out. Finally, some other team went over and tipped it back up. The guy came out and was totally blue from the solution and what not from the porta potty. His uniform was all white. He flipped off his team, had a few choice words, got in his vehicle and left. They had to forfeit the rest of the tournament as he was their ninth guy. Now that's also taking a prank too far :angry:

This is very hard for me to say, let alone admit, maybe the douche bag in the band, is the one that ive always put on a pedastal, maybe Scott is the fucking cocksucker that makes Anthrax unworkable! I personally have always been a huge fan, but the hiring of Bush, not only took Anthrax to a different dimension, but also made them not one dimensional, and on top of that, they showed the band actually has the ability to play tempered music, I mean im not saying they were Spocks Beard, or even upertier as far as talent, but Weve Come For You All, IMO, was a very adult, experienced, and enjoyable album, and why they would fuck it up(ala Kiss after Revenge) i'll never know! but I do honestly believe letting Bush go like they did, was signing Anthrax's exit stratedgy!

I'd put my money on Bush coming back in....

Rumor has it that they've been offered a slot at Wacken now in addition to Sonisphere. If that's true then it wouldn't surprise me if Bush came back full time ...

Rumor has it that they've been offered a slot at Wacken now in addition to Sonisphere. If that's true then it wouldn't surprise me if Bush came back full time ...

Well I'm going to Sonisphere next weekend - but (according to my friend who works for the booking agency) they are rated only 50/50 to actually play. I saw Anthrax last month with Suicide Silence and they were absolutely amazing - Nelson was a seriously good vocalist.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this over at blabbermouth:

ANTHRAX played yesterday (Saturday, August 1) at the Sonisphere festival in Knebworth, England, with John Bush (ANTHRAX's singer from 1992 to 2005) joining them for a very special one-off performance.

ANTHRAX guitarist Scott Ian wrote on his Twitter page shortly after the concert, "40-odd thousand people chanting 'Bring back Bush.' 'Nuff said."

Metal Hammer magazine writes in its review of the gig, "One word sums up ANTHRAX [at Sonisphere] — flawless. Smashing through the barricades with a thunderous 'What Doesn't Die', it's mind-blowing to think that this incarnation of ANTHRAX haven't played together for four years. Bush's voice is nothing short of sensational, as his enthusiasm and energy.

"'Caught In A Mosh', 'Antisocial', making an entire field full of people lose their fucking mind during 'Bring The Noise' and a finale of 'Indians', John Bush and ANTHRAX came to Knebworth and came, saw and motherfucking conquered."

I know whats up! I loved Anthrax my whole life, I cant think of another band ive loved so much, that got a different singer, and I loved them more! Bush really is one of the most under reckognized talents in the history of metal! he has a unique delivery, and is a perfect fit in Anthrax! and im a huge Saint fan, that didnt even want to hear him in Anthrax at the begining!