Firenote - s/t

Geoff

Here's a pretty cool new band a few of the guys here have been talking about:

http://www.myspace.com/firenote

Matty-Boo compares them to Wig Wam, Brother Firetribe and The Poodles and I guess I can kind of see that. Like Brother Firetribe, imo, they play their hand early with the two best songs on the album at track number 2 and 3 - 'Danger' and 'Sara La Fountain' are just spectacular, and then it's not until track 9 ('Suddenly) that the band really shine again. But like Brother Firetribe, there's no real crap on here. Everything's pretty damn good - just wish there were a few more highlights like those three.

Track list:

01. Firenote

02. Danger

03. Sara La Fountain

04. Speed Freak

05. My Love Will Never Die

06. Don't Ever Fall In Love

07. Love Me Or Let Me Live

08. Mayday

09. Suddenly

10. Heartbreaker

11. She Stole My Speedos

I dunno mate, this does nothing for me im afraid.

Im gonna have to pass on this one.

As I said to Jez in another thread, not in the same league as BF and HEAT.

Good but unspectacular.

This is cool stuff, my copy arrived yesterday. Definitely a dip in quality through the middle but a lot of potential here, even if they don't completely deliver in the way BFT did. Similar in quality to the H.E.A.T album IMO, some really top tunes but a lot of stuff that could've been better.

I dunno mate, this does nothing for me im afraid.

Im gonna have to pass on this one.

As I said to Jez in another thread, not in the same league as BF and HEAT.

Good but unspectacular.

Nowhere near the quality of HEAT imo, but there are BF moments. BF are probably just a little more consistent though.

Very good indeed for the most part, This is more similar in places to the H.E.A.T disc than the 2 BFT discs in sound, although I can hear influences from lots of other bands in the mix aswell (A very large dose of Shy in places it has to be said). Not as consistently good as BFT or H.E.A.T, but there are definitely songs on here that are as good in quality of the both of them 'Sara La Fountain' 'Heartbreaker' 'Suddenly' and the excellent ballad 'My Love Will Never Die' being 3 to start with. Production on this is top drawer aswell :tumbsup:

I really dig this release. No fillers at all. Very very surprised how good this is.

Really??! Im surprised at just how cringingly bad it is.

Just Spotified it. Thanks God for that site....saved my self £10.

How anyone can even begin to compare this band with the awesome HEAT or BF is just beyond me :screwy:

2 ultimate filler and really pretty awful songs in 'Someone Stole My Speedos' and 'Speed Freak', but apart from that there are some good songs on here for sure. I've been playing 'Sara La Fountain', 'Firenote', 'My Love Will Never Die', 'Suddenly' and 'Heartbreaker' all week so far. 5 geat songs, 4 goodish and 2 crap -I can't honestly see what the problem is, but to each their own' and all that.

I really dig this release. No fillers at all. Very very surprised how good this is.

Agreed ! So do I ! Sounds great to these ears .....

2 ultimate filler and really pretty awful songs in 'Someone Stole My Speedos' and 'Speed Freak', but apart from that there are some good songs on here for sure. I've been playing 'Sara La Fountain', 'Firenote', 'My Love Will Never Die', 'Suddenly' and 'Heartbreaker' all week so far. 5 geat songs, 4 goodish and 2 crap -I can't honestly see what the problem is, but to each their own' and all that.

Mate, how you can listen to lyrics like..........

'Firenote (chanted like a demented gibbon)...kicking like Thunder

Cant you feel the flames burning higher'

and then slate SP is just beyond me.

the singing in the verses of Danger is just plain bad............are you sure its not you???! :tumbsup:

Ho hum.

Of the songs you mention, 'My Love....' and 'Heartbreaker' are the best. The rest I could take or leave. And as I said a million miles in quality from HEAT and BF.....not one of these songs would I replace on either of those albums from 08.

As you say to each their own...............i'll continue listening to Daughtry and Adelitas Way today whilst Im painting. Both of which lay waste to this.

Cheers

As you say to each their own.....

Cheers

Exactly ;)

I'm somewhere in-between all the views so far. Both the vocals and the lyrics are pretty suspect, however as English isn't their first language that isn't a huge surprise. I still think they have good potential, they can write decent melodies/hooks - even if they don't work every time. The BFT comparison is good as they sound similar, but both vocally and in terms of pure songwriting Firenote are a mile behind. I'd rate it alongside H.E.A.T as being decent/promising but nothing amazing & about 7/10.

The CRASH THE SYSTEM disc is better than this by some distance.

I'm somewhere in-between all the views so far. Both the vocals and the lyrics are pretty suspect, however as English isn't their first language that isn't a huge surprise. I still think they have good potential, they can write decent melodies/hooks - even if they don't work every time. The BFT comparison is good as they sound similar, but both vocally and in terms of pure songwriting Firenote are a mile behind. I'd rate it alongside H.E.A.T as being decent/promising but nothing amazing & about 7/10.

HEAT > BF >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 4 miles >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Firenote.

HEAT > BF >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 4 miles >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Firenote.

I agree. And Crash The System are better too. But 'Danger', 'Sara La Fountain' (especially) and 'Suddenly' are really excellent. Overall, the vocals are really bad and I don't get what all you guys see in that average-as-sin ballad, but to each their own. It's not a bad disc. Probably better than Outloud. But not a real contender for a high spot this year, imo.

• 9 months later...

Okay, a year on and this has managed to keep itself in rotation with me. Dare I say it's one of the best CDs I've heard come out of Finland in recent years (behind Reckless Love and Brother Firetribe). Like Jez said above, there are only two fillers. We agree on one, but I have to admit I love 'She stole my speedos'. It's got a great chorus and has a cheeky, silly kind of humour to it that brings me to think of the likes of Fate.

For me, the two fillers are 'Speed demon' and 'Mayday'. Once you skip those 2 you have 9 really good tracks on your hands. One that never really got a mention above is one of my faves, 'Don't Ever Fall In Love'. 'Sara La Fountain' is still an absolute stunner of a track too.

It's unfortunate the accent is so strong, but aside from that I hope these guys stick around for future releases. Great stuff.

Okay, a year on and this has managed to keep itself in rotation with me. Dare I say it's one of the best CDs I've heard come out of Finland in recent years (behind Reckless Love and Brother Firetribe). Like Jez said above, there are only two fillers. We agree on one, but I have to admit I love 'She stole my speedos'. It's got a great chorus and has a cheeky, silly kind of humour to it that brings me to think of the likes of Fate.

For me, the two fillers are 'Speed demon' and 'Mayday'. Once you skip those 2 you have 9 really good tracks on your hands. One that never really got a mention above is one of my faves, 'Don't Ever Fall In Love'. 'Sara La Fountain' is still an absolute stunner of a track too.

It's unfortunate the accent is so strong, but aside from that I hope these guys stick around for future releases. Great stuff.

loser ;-)

Definitely still a good album and one I still play often. Seems everyone else has either forgotten it or not even bothered in the first place - Their loss I say.

Seems everyone else has either forgotten it or not even bothered in the first place - Their loss I say.

i stand by my comments of 15 july 2009 above - but as you said to each their own :-)

• 7 years later...

Some delightful moments on this one. Shame they didn't get around to a second one.

Mate, how you can listen to lyrics like..........

'Firenote (chanted like a demented gibbon)...kicking like Thunder

Cant you feel the flames burning higher'

and then slate SP is just beyond me.

the singing in the verses of Danger is just plain bad............are you sure its not you???! :tumbsup:

This made me chuckle.................almost makes me want to go back and listen to it

almost

Lyrics to 'Suddenly' -

I was sure, I could never fall in love again
I was sure, I was meant to flow down the drain..............

No mate that was your band not you :lol: